Silk worm project!!

I live in the UK and am not sure what Carpenters cloth is either! You can buy plastic canvas in a craft store. An example here is in a link to an ebay listing so you can see what I mean: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Sheets-of-7-Count-Plastic-Canvas-size-13-x-10-5-/150764079249?pt=UK_Crafts_Needlework_EH&hash=item231a3d4891#ht_841wt_1110

The number, ie 7 count in this case, means how many holes per inch. Therefore the larger the number the smaller the holes. I just cut it to shape and wedge it into the tub creating a false floor. I had about 250 eggs hatch at once and they actually grow at different rates. The larger ones I separated into different tubs as they grew. I had over 30 tubs containing various numbers of silkies at various stages at one time. It was a LOT of work and would take me over 2 hours to clean them and feed them all! Now I have got them to moth stage and have the next generation of eggs I can keep the eggs in the fridge and just hatch out a hundred or so at a time rather than have all of them hatch at once.

When you say you create a false floor do you mean its kinda bent in a u on the ends or is it completely flat. Im just trying to figure out how its staying raised off bottom of tub. I did look at the web site ebay. the spaces look small but I bet in person the poop will go threw.

The holes are quite large - I use a smaller gauge to start with so the tiny silks don't fall through. Yes, I cut it slightly bigger so I can wedge it inside the tub, in a kind of u shape, yes. For the first week or so I just keep them on paper towel.

ok ok cool.. I just bought a couple of sizes of canvas the one you got and one other. thanks this may just be my problem. I actually recieved pieces when I order silkworm supplies and never used they didnt fit in my tub ..but explains why they sent it.

yes ive read wormspit a million times lol.. he only used leaves so bit different from me .. Im just having some difficulty from using chow. The mesh I was using was too big and worms were dropping threw and for some reason the worms were also getting little dirty. I just chatted with whatcamo and Im thinking of try to ventilate or maybe take them out of incubator in so many days prob around 18day.

Hi folks.

I separated 7 jumbo silks and the first one has spun. The idea is to get some eggs to retain in the fridge and grow on when my current stock level is low.

I have a few questions for the more experienced keepers....
1) When they hatch from their silk-balls and begin to mate, what do the eggs look like?
2) How long will the moths survive for?
3) Whats the best way to keep the eggs, and how do I remove them from the tub of moths? How long will the eggs keep for in the fridge?
4) I need to clean the tub which I have the other silks in, whats the best way to transfer the silkworm that has already spun so I can do this?

Thanks

Hi folks.

I separated 7 jumbo silks and the first one has spun. The idea is to get some eggs to retain in the fridge and grow on when my current stock level is low.

I have a few questions for the more experienced keepers....
1) When they hatch from their silk-balls and begin to mate, what do the eggs look like?
2) How long will the moths survive for?
3) Whats the best way to keep the eggs, and how do I remove them from the tub of moths? How long will the eggs keep for in the fridge?
4) I need to clean the tub which I have the other silks in, whats the best way to transfer the silkworm that has already spun so I can do this?

Thanks

It is so exciting! You can move the cocoon four days after it started spinning. The moths will mate often within minutes of emerging, although they may wait till their wings are plumped up and they have excreted the liquid used to do this. My moths lived for a couple of weeks, in fact I just lost the last one last week. I removed them from the cocoon tub after emergence and put them in a separate tub lined with kitchen roll. I then paired them up and put a plastic cup over the pair. They can stay locked together for over 24 hours. Usually the female will start laying immediately, but sometimes they rest first before laying. Placing a plastic cup over them ensures that the females will lay in a fairly orderly fashion rather than randomly over a larger area. One of mine laid her eggs in the indents of the kitchen roll pattern, lol! Once laid the eggs are yellow, and over the course of a few days they will turn dark grey/purple if they are fertile. That is when you can put them into the fridge. Here is a link to a video I made of one of my females laying. it is quite fascinating how they feel with their rear ends where the eggs are and lay them right next to each other! Clever stuff!

Well you dirty girl I think you beat me to the punch haha we should be the honorary silkies on here haha I just counted I officially have 189 baby silkies this morning :/ here we go again ;)

:D Rather you than me! I am going to take my first lot of eggs out of the fridge on 11 April. You actually counted them?! :eek: I am currently enjoying my free evenings!!!:D

Back
Top Bottom