Silk worm project!!

After they reach around 1 1/2 inches I put them in another setup with 1/4"x1/4" mesh so their poop falls through.

silk worms

I found wormspit.com to be awesome. I been breeding silkworms on chow and it is totally different then feeding on leaves. I think you mentioned you were using screen? thats what i didnt do and toward the adult side where there large you really need it.

I dont consider myself an expert. But it looks like you use alot of chow ..almost looks like chunks? I use miltons cake piping bags with number 3 tip. Its great cus you only use the amount of chow you need. Thats stuff is very expensive. There really a great bug. they have 3 times more calcium than most bugs and have protein low fat .. buttworms and couple others which those are mostly treats have more calcium..

Thanks for your response I can't wait now to have silkies again which is funny cause I just got over being sick of them haha

I found wormspit.com to be awesome. I been breeding silkworms on chow and it is totally different then feeding on leaves. I think you mentioned you were using screen? thats what i didnt do and toward the adult side where there large you really need it.

I dont consider myself an expert. But it looks like you use alot of chow ..almost looks like chunks? I use miltons cake piping bags with number 3 tip. Its great cus you only use the amount of chow you need. Thats stuff is very expensive. There really a great bug. they have 3 times more calcium than most bugs and have protein low fat .. buttworms and couple others which those are mostly treats have more calcium..

Yeah I never used more chow than they'd eat
And yeah I've read over wormspit tons of times I just have a memory like a sieve haha

when you say pet screen is it metal? I have a mesh but its more poly(?) or some softer material almost like cloth. Im trying to use screening more It was alot of work at adult stages. did it work well during adult stage .? and easy to clean? Did you put just one piece at bottom of container?

sorry for all the questions. its just helps to I do less practicing. jim

We did this last year, got the eggs, hatched them...they do get huge and our Chams loved them up. When they are big and the Chams are eating them....our advise is to stay back as they often burst and its yucky if it hits you lol. We let lots of the worms cocoon. Its amazing. Then after a few days of cocooning we took them out and laid them in resting boxes lined with paper towel. Then we watch them emerge as moths and they breed :)
Then we collected the eggs and if they are blue/dark colors, they are fertile. They should be put into a sandwich bag and keep them in the refrigerator for a few months.
Then we started the process again. It worked great and so now we have some worms, some eggs hatching and more to start in the fridge. This way we will always have fresh, healthy worms.
Esp when our hatchlings are hungry for them.

Also I made earrings from the silk cocoons and sell them on Etsy :)
WIN WIN really.

We are happy to answer any questions you may have.

Awesome seems like you had fun! I asked just above your post about screening for adults what did you use? Ive been breeding but did use and its a mess. I have a 1/4inch mesh its like a poly type material its washable streaches. but wanted to see what others use. I also only use chow to breed. no trees here. thanks jim

How do you get them to spin inside the paper towel rolls?

Do chams eat these...?
Yes my female Jackson likes these more than crickets. she ate almost 10 last night
My male doesnt like them as much but eats them redily

How do you get them to spin inside the paper towel rolls?

Yes my female Jackson likes these more than crickets. she ate almost 10 last night
My male doesnt like them as much but eats them redily

to spin in the rolls, they do that themselves i think. just put the roll in with them.

We did this last year, got the eggs, hatched them...they do get huge and our Chams loved them up. When they are big and the Chams are eating them....our advise is to stay back as they often burst and its yucky if it hits you lol. We let lots of the worms cocoon. Its amazing. Then after a few days of cocooning we took them out and laid them in resting boxes lined with paper towel. Then we watch them emerge as moths and they breed :)
Then we collected the eggs and if they are blue/dark colors, they are fertile. They should be put into a sandwich bag and keep them in the refrigerator for a few months.
Then we started the process again. It worked great and so now we have some worms, some eggs hatching and more to start in the fridge. This way we will always have fresh, healthy worms.
Esp when our hatchlings are hungry for them.

Also I made earrings from the silk cocoons and sell them on Etsy :)
WIN WIN really.

We are happy to answer any questions you may have.

Yeah it was very entertaining I had over 300 cocoons when said and done and every single moth emerged so I ended up with tons of eggs

Awesome seems like you had fun! I asked just above your post about screening for adults what did you use? Ive been breeding but did use and its a mess. I have a 1/4inch mesh its like a poly type material its washable streaches. but wanted to see what others use. I also only use chow to breed. no trees here. thanks jim

Yup that should work fine just as long as you can suspend it in some way ;)

Now back to reporting today is day three of taking the eggs out of the fridge and they seem to be more round than flat in shape so that must mean they are developing

It puts them into diapause. In the wild the silkworms would lay their eggs at the start of winter to hatch in Spring, so by putting eggs into the fridge we simulate winter conditions. Just by removing them from the fridge and the temperature rising to room temp is enough to stimulate hatching in about a week to 10 days. Clever stuff and totally fascinating!

Back
Top Bottom