silk worm not eating issues - any ideas why?

little leaf

Avid Member
these are the most spoiled silks I have ever had- they only want to eat the mulberry - I have offered chow, black and white M. leaves - they wont eat anything else but the berry, and I only offered that because they were dieing off - and other ppl have said they are also not having luck getting theirs to eat either - anyone else having issues w/ there silks? I think this heat wave, then the cold snap we had has everything all screwed up!
I lost my entire first batch, they ran AWAY from the food? then the 2nd batch all did fine- ran TO the food- now this 3rd batch- runs away from the food- I have not changed one thing from one batch to the next - any idea what is going on???

Last edited:
new vs mature leaves? maybe its a texture thing? Do they eat the powdered chow?

no, both batches that died off would not even go to it- or the leaves- this one is acting the same way - that is why I offered the berry -they are eating the berry -but dont seem to want anything else

Could try blanching or microwaving the leave a little to break up the wax layer for the babies.

Honestly i was surprised when mine started eating the berries. Mine would only eat them when all the leaves were gone.

Could try blanching or microwaving the leave a little to break up the wax layer for the babies.

Honestly i was surprised when mine started eating the berries. Mine would only eat them when all the leaves were gone.

I will try that too- cant hurt - lol - these worms are BRATS ! :mad:

Are you sure that is mulberry? It really doesn't look like mulberry leafs.

yes, same trees I got the berries from - but I have chopped up some of the leaves - so they are a bit ravaged - thought if they could get a bite on the edge of the leaf maybe they would eat them ?

That's weird your silks are black. Must be because of the berries. I have heard once they have one type of food they won't switch over.. You may have to just keep picking berries lol

silks arent the smartest worm out there. Your worms look really normal to me. They just seem to be addicted to berries. I am trying the pod method this time around and unlike horn worms they do not climb up to the food. I actually have to spread food on the plastic mesh from the lid to the top to lure them up there. And even then only a few go. Its crazy that horn worms are just so much easier and smarter LOL.

Back
Top Bottom