Silk-cess!

MissSkittles

Chameleon Enthusiast
After a little bit of a rough start, I’m finally having success with hatching/breeding silkworms. My first hatchees are now feeding size and just hatched another batch. ...and just checked and the black zebras are starting to come out of their cocoons.
Who hoo! I do love these little caterpillars. :love:
6201B0DB-2F27-42AE-864F-B35C6335054E.jpeg 9C40DE82-854D-4866-85F6-3B1FD53C29B8.jpeg

After a little bit of a rough start, I’m finally having success with hatching/breeding silkworms. My first hatchees are now feeding size and just hatched another batch. ...and just checked and the black zebras are starting to come out of their cocoons.
Who hoo! I do love these little caterpillars. :love:
View attachment 254588View attachment 254589
Agreed. I have lots of bugs... the worms are my favorite. I kinda went overboard this go round as I had issues with eggs in the past. I have eggs EVERYWHERE... and I've already collected enough for 2 batches and 2 backups to those batches!

So rewarding. Unlike most, I enjoy feeding the off though. It's like a game the chams and I play... try not to get splurged! They have stopped shooting for the head of the worm and instead go for the middle. So glad I wear glasses!

15776369946546662432211774251377.jpg

I tried the parchment method, worked at first. Now they've used the screen to lay eggs. I think I'm just going to put food down in there when they hatch out. No way I can pick all the eggs out! Live and learn!

I keep the moths in a plastic shoe box type container with was paper. When a couple ‘gets busy’ I cover them with a small dixie cup. I believe I learned this from @snitz427 website and feedback.
I’ve got a ton of eggs in the fridge! Figured it would take more attempts than it has and had a glut of silks at one point...cocooned before I could feed them all.
Now if I can just figure out how to get my baby roaches to grow faster I’ll be all set.

I keep the moths in a plastic shoe box type container with was paper. When a couple ‘gets busy’ I cover them with a small dixie cup. I believe I learned this from @snitz427 website and feedback.
I’ve got a ton of eggs in the fridge! Figured it would take more attempts than it has and had a glut of silks at one point...cocooned before I could feed them all.
Now if I can just figure out how to get my baby roaches to grow faster I’ll be all set.
Will have to remember the bit about the cup. Problem is I'll have to remember to take it off. Many of my moths have gone multiple rounds.

I use heat pads under my roach bins. It helps with the discoids, but the dubias (that I killed of course) are way slower. My discoids are doing awesome.. I actually have too many. Same issue with the silks - same problem you had; too many to feed off. My guys and gals are eating less, I'm guessing because its "winter". While I can fake the climate, you can still feel the season's in your bones...

So the best way to deal with the breeding and egg laying process I learned from @Matt Vanilla Gorilla
Get a box and put them in there to breed and lay eggs. Then you cut the sections of the box out with eggs. Even if they lay on the sides you still are able to cut them out. Worked like a dream for me. I used a razor to then cut out the egg sections once everyone had finished laying.

So the best way to deal with the breeding and egg laying process I learned from @Matt Vanilla Gorilla
Get a box and put them in there to breed and lay eggs. Then you cut the sections of the box out with eggs. Even if they lay on the sides you still are able to cut them out. Worked like a dream for me. I used a razor to then cut out the egg sections once everyone had finished laying.
This is how I do it too xo . Nice to see you love ❤️.

Back
Top Bottom