Signs of Trioceros Sternfeldi about to give birth

christineacero

Hey all,

I've suspected that my female has been gravid for a while, and shes been acting quite peculiar today. For the past week or so, shes been perched on her vine in the upper right corner of her enclosure and refused to come down. This morning, she came down from her perch and has been very active, travelling all over the tank, and multiple times has been hanging around the bottom. Her colours have been all over the map today, from being muddy brown, to really bright green. I've also seen her poop twice today. Are these signs that birth is near? Could anyone give me any other signs or symptoms I should be looking for? If this is the case, I will move her to the faunarium I purchased for the babies, and just wait. Anything helpful is most appreciated!

She is probably getting close. Since she is a livebearer she won't be giving birth near the bottom of the cage. She will drop a couple of babies move and drop more. Is she still eating?

Don't move her. Give her privacy. Livebearers in my care usually gave birth early in the morning and it lasted till mid morning.

Carl

thank you for the response! The reptile store advised me today to move her into the faunarium to give birth because she lives with the male. And I did see her eat a cricket this morning. She hasn't eaten much the past week or so. Maybe one or 2 crickets a day? My male has been eating most of them for her. Other than today with her motoring around everywhere, shes been kinda hanging out in the same area.

I'd move the male not her. Not eating much is a good sign she is close. Make sure stays hydrated.

Do you have small food ready? The babies usually won't eat the first day or two.

Carl

Mine is not eating nor drinking much water at all. Not sure how to force her to drink if it's my last resort... It's been 3 days since I've gotten her and she's drunk about 2 droplets total. I've been spraying her plant and enclosure constantly to keep the humidity so she won't get dehydrated as quickly. Any ideas on how far along as mine might be?

Yes,this thread is so 2014,if you can,please post a new thread so we can all give you our best opinions,thank you in advance for giving us your effort Alb 123,enjoy your lovely day.

Back
Top Bottom