Signs of shedding

ILoveIris

Good evening all..

I was just wondering, what are the signs I should look out for to tell when Iris (veiled chameleon) is about to shed?

I've only had her since 1-31-18.. she is super tiny.

Thanks all!

Well, you should start to see her skin turning white. From personal experience, my chameleon used to always start shedding from her eyes/head when she still had full body sheds, but every chameleon is different. You will start to see her skin peeling as well, or she may be rubbing herself on branches and such. At this point you should increase the humidity and misting to make sure the shed goes smoothly.

Well, you should start to see her skin turning white. From personal experience, my chameleon used to always start shedding from her eyes/head when she still had full body sheds, but every chameleon is different. You will start to see her skin peeling as well, or she may be rubbing herself on branches and such. At this point you should increase the humidity and misting to make sure the shed goes smoothly.

Thanks so much.. she's kinda looking almost dusty..lol.. a little more dry than usual.. I upped her misting today. She looks fine other than that. Hunting, eating, sun bathing.. sounds like a good day to me... she's living the life!

Thanks so much.. she's kinda looking almost dusty..lol.. a little more dry than usual.. I upped her misting today. She looks fine other than that. Hunting, eating, sun bathing.. sounds like a good day to me... she's living the life!
Sounds great! If she is hunting and eating, then she should start shedding very soon. Baby and juvenile chameleons shed quite often, but every chameleon is different. Some take a few weeks to a month. Either way, they all need a little bit of extra love and misting while they shed their skin. Quite a feat, if you ask me, but that may be because I have never shed my skin before :p. Glad to hear everything is going well with her. Good luck! Happy I could help! (y)

Sounds great! If she is hunting and eating, then she should start shedding very soon. Baby and juvenile chameleons shed quite often, but every chameleon is different. Some take a few weeks to a month. Either way, they all need a little bit of extra love and misting while they shed their skin. Quite a feat, if you ask me, but that may be because I have never shed my skin before :p. Glad to hear everything is going well with her. Good luck! Happy I could help! (y)
I would not want to shed.. I'm glad I dont.. I feel like that would be a very terrifying experience!
Thanks so much for the luck and advice!

Do you know why? New Cham owner here as well
Not exactly sure about that. I know that some animals eat their cast-off skin to re-absorb nutrients that were lost in the process, but I am not sure if that is the case for chameleons. Some research will do the trick, I bet ;)

Back
Top Bottom