Sign of MBD or typical baby behavior?

So I'm looking into the mist king but I'm really worried about space for a resevoir, do you think that little drippers would be enough?
For what?
Drippers are fine for providing drinking water. IDT they're enough for maintaining humidity.

What screen did you purchase? Having difficulty finding one.
I didn't purchase; it came with the enclosure. But if I had to, I'd make one from window screen parts from a home improvement store.
https://www.google.com/search?q=mak...UbVs0KHTlNBrcQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1024&bih=636

The best tool I found for cutting the egg crate to size is a side cutter pliers.
1622043535295.png

It leaves a slight nub, but the screen covers that.

For what?
Drippers are fine for providing drinking water. IDT they're enough for maintaining humidity.

I didn't purchase; it came with the enclosure. But if I had to, I'd make one from window screen parts from a home improvement store.
https://www.google.com/search?q=mak...UbVs0KHTlNBrcQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1024&bih=636

The best tool I found for cutting the egg crate to size is a side cutter pliers.
View attachment 302206
It leaves a slight nub, but the screen covers that.
I am going to buy a sturdy stainless steel mesh and bend it around the nubs on the egg crate and glue, will cut to the dimensions of the cage. Now you mentioned UNDER the egg crate you're also using a drip tray to catch water?

I'm also buying a set of steel cutters so those should handle the egg crate fine.

Got it so I use the dripper and that's fine for hydration, and I can continue to use my humidifier to provide humidity as needed.

Also I live in portland oregon where we tend to have more humid air, our base humidity is generally around 60% and rarely would fall below 40.

Also I live in portland oregon where we tend to have more humid air, our base humidity is generally around 60% and rarely would fall below 40.
Chameleons need their enclosures to get misted, as it is their main source of water. Using a dehumidifier in the room your cham is in (not close to the cage, though) will help tons!

Chameleons need their enclosures to get misted, as it is their main source of water. Using a dehumidifier in the room your cham is in (not close to the cage, though) will help tons!
I have a humidifier running as mentioned in previous pages, please read the entire thread to see what I've done and how I care for them, thanks.

My concern is the amount of space the mist king resevoir takes and whether or not alternative sources of hydration would suffice.

I have screen cages so I don't want mist spraying all over my walls.

You can cover the screen sides in shower curtain, PVC board, window film kits, and more (though I would only cover the back side for your chams because your relative humidity is a high for a veiled and already perfect for a panther). The MistKing reservoir can be any size you need it to be to fit. As long as it is drillable, you're good

You can cover the screen sides in shower curtain, PVC board, window film kits, and more (though I would only cover the back side for your chams because your relative humidity is a high for a veiled and already perfect for a panther). The MistKing reservoir can be any size you need it to be to fit. As long as it is drillable, you're good
Noted, I will probably buy it then, I just need to find an awkwardly shaped rectangular resevoir that can slide between the two cages and act as a visual barrier between the two. I suppose with the egg crate going up the back of their enclosures, the mist shouldn't spray too badly on the walls. It's probably best for me to pick it up, because it can water up to 10 cages, and I may want to get more chams in the future.

My concern is the amount of space the mist king resevoir takes and whether or not alternative sources of hydration would suffice.

I have screen cages so I don't want mist spraying all over my walls.
Many of us use shower curtain or similar to prevent the overspray out of the screen enclosure. Faux backgrounds work very well. I run four enclosures from my Mist King so I use a 5 gal bucket. You certainly could use a much smaller container as a reservoir.

Noted, I will probably buy it then, I just need to find an awkwardly shaped rectangular resevoir that can slide between the two cages and act as a visual barrier between the two. I suppose with the egg crate going up the back of their enclosures, the mist shouldn't spray too badly on the walls. It's probably best for me to pick it up, because it can water up to 10 cages, and I may want to get more chams in the future.
Would something like this fit your space? https://www.walmart.com/ip/Arrow-H2O-2-5-Gal-Slim-line-Beverage-Dispenser-Blue/15915151

A piece of PVC/sign board or an opaque shower curtain will work as a visual barrier. You will have to find an opaque container if that's the only spot you can put the reservoir in. I wouldn't count on the egg crate to protect your walls

Plan is for an opaque black or one that is like semi transluscent, not completely clear plastic but that yellowish color, I figure the plastic and water would blurr the vision enough as long as they can't see entirely through it.

I am going to buy a sturdy stainless steel mesh and bend it around the nubs on the egg crate and glue, will cut to the dimensions of the cage.
I'd make sure the mesh on the stainless steel is large enough not to catch claws. Mine has gotten stuck on the aluminum, but it's soft enough—and he's strong enough—that he can extricate himself without damage.

Now you mentioned UNDER the egg crate you're also using a drip tray to catch water?
Water's gotta go somewhere. You can usually find an aftermarket drain pan that'll work, but you'll still need something the right height to support the egg crate. Patio tiles, wire stand, etc.

One sq. ft. should be enough for a mister reservoir and drain bucket (if stacked). If I had to, I could fit both under the table my enclosure sits on.

Misters are just plain convenient. Not having to worry about misting at certain times, and for how long. The biggest worry I have is remembering to fill the reservoir every few days. The drain bucket only needs emptying once a month.

Noted, I will probably buy it then, I just need to find an awkwardly shaped rectangular resevoir that can slide between the two cages and act as a visual barrier between the two.
I would consider the two separately. The visual barrier is the easy part.

I suppose with the egg crate going up the back of their enclosures, the mist shouldn't spray too badly on the walls. It's probably best for me to pick it up, because it can water up to 10 cages, and I may want to get more chams in the future.
Ten nozzles—not enclosures. If you have (or plan to have) 10 enclosures, I would upgrade to one of the larger MK systems.

From your other thread with the picture of her dark in color.

Do you have a wired temp probe at the basking branch below the heat?

From your other thread with the picture of her dark in color.

Do you have a wired temp probe at the basking branch below the heat?
I don't have a stagnant probe there no, because it broke a few weeks ago, but I used it before it broke to measure the temps on the branches, I moved my panthers thicker branch up to the top where temperatures were ranging in high 70s and 80s depending on the spots on the branch, you mentioned in the other thread not having enough shrubbery, and I'd bet money on that causing stress as well. I know her cage is short on shrubbery, and mentioned in previous pages I plan to get plenty more plants, kind of like my veiled chameleons cage. My concern with having shrubbery was lack of finding food, but that concern has been addressed, just haven't had money for plants. Any other thoughts are appreciated as well.

I don't have a stagnant probe there no, because it broke a few weeks ago, but I used it before it broke to measure the temps on the branches, I moved my panthers thicker branch up to the top where temperatures were ranging in high 70s and 80s depending on the spots on the branch, you mentioned in the other thread not having enough shrubbery, and I'd bet money on that causing stress as well. I know her cage is short on shrubbery, and mentioned in previous pages I plan to get plenty more plants, kind of like my veiled chameleons cage. My concern with having shrubbery was lack of finding food, but that concern has been addressed, just haven't had money for plants. Any other thoughts are appreciated as well.
ok so your working on a budget which we can totally do. As for creating security. Your going to go to your local craft stores (sometimes dollar stores sells these). They will sell the fake vines with leaves. You will attach these on the outside of the cage screen only. So on the sides at the top and on the door. This will give her the feeling that she is hidden without reducing airflow. You can use tiny zip ties or even trash bag ties. Your tie will be on the outside so there are no sharps facing in. This is an inexpensive way to do it to begin with. And will solve the stress factor.

For live plants shop the indoor plants at home depot or lowes this is going to be your cheapest place to buy them from.

Temps. Don't rely on what you were getting when you had the probe. Your ambient temps will play into your basking temp. Because your basking fixture produces a constant temp if your room gets hotter or colder this impacts your temp even at the basking branch. So cheap wired probe. I believe I bought my last zoo med one at petco for like $6. Push the probe through the screen somewhere and tie it in. Important to use something not sharp like a small zip tie. Cut the zip tie clean removing the piece that hangs out and have that part on the bottom of the branch. See my image below. So the probe is sitting just to the side of the branch. So if my boy sits there he is not covering it. You are looking for no hotter then 80 at the branch. As she matures and rises farther off the branch you will have to adjust your fixture again because it will be hotter the farther she rises up. And for your girl she needs no hotter then 78-80max as she matures so at that point you want your branch temp a bit lower say 77 to compensate for her rising up farther into the hotter heat temp..

IMG_6193.JPG

I'd make sure the mesh on the stainless steel is large enough not to catch claws. Mine has gotten stuck on the aluminum, but it's soft enough—and he's strong enough—that he can extricate himself without damage.

Water's gotta go somewhere. You can usually find an aftermarket drain pan that'll work, but you'll still need something the right height to support the egg crate. Patio tiles, wire stand, etc.

One sq. ft. should be enough for a mister reservoir and drain bucket (if stacked). If I had to, I could fit both under the table my enclosure sits on.

Misters are just plain convenient. Not having to worry about misting at certain times, and for how long. The biggest worry I have is remembering to fill the reservoir every few days. The drain bucket only needs emptying once a month.
So would you recommend a deeper thicker drain pan to support everything
ok so your working on a budget which we can totally do. As for creating security. Your going to go to your local craft stores (sometimes dollar stores sells these). They will sell the fake vines with leaves. You will attach these on the outside of the cage screen only. So on the sides at the top and on the door. This will give her the feeling that she is hidden without reducing airflow. You can use tiny zip ties or even trash bag ties. Your tie will be on the outside so there are no sharps facing in. This is an inexpensive way to do it to begin with. And will solve the stress factor.

For live plants shop the indoor plants at home depot or lowes this is going to be your cheapest place to buy them from.

Temps. Don't rely on what you were getting when you had the probe. Your ambient temps will play into your basking temp. Because your basking fixture produces a constant temp if your room gets hotter or colder this impacts your temp even at the basking branch. So cheap wired probe. I believe I bought my last zoo med one at petco for like $6. Push the probe through the screen somewhere and tie it in. Important to use something not sharp like a small zip tie. Cut the zip tie clean removing the piece that hangs out and have that part on the bottom of the branch. See my image below. So the probe is sitting just to the side of the branch. So if my boy sits there he is not covering it. You are looking for no hotter then 80 at the branch. As she matures and rises farther off the branch you will have to adjust your fixture again because it will be hotter the farther she rises up. And for your girl she needs no hotter then 78-80max as she matures so at that point you want your branch temp a bit lower say 77 to compensate for her rising up farther into the hotter heat temp..

View attachment 302222
Ill go buy a cheap probe. I had a 70$ probe which did everything but it had alarms, and it would beep ALL the time for the temps, I could never keep it right because here in oregon some days it's cold sometimes it's hot. So a cheaper, fixed temperature probe for both of my chameleons is probably a right step in regards to addressing the temp issue. I'm planning on getting her live plants like, really really soon, I really hate using the fake shrubbery, I have a small amount of fake shrubbery inside my veileds cage (hanging vines off top and left side of cage), I've been trying to find a pothos to replace that, and I want a pothos for my panther as well, among other plants that are safe, so I'm sure she'll feel very secure once that's done.

I know her temps on her basking post are high, because it's as high as can be and under her lamps, but idk without the probe, so having the probe should allow me to adjust the vines position on any given day to make sure it's where it needs to be. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom