Sign of MBD or typical baby behavior?

I have 3 pothos plants or what I thought were pothos but ive seen pics of philodendron to and to me they look just alike. The two in my Cham cage came planted in the base of the mass cane I recently purchased for my Cham cage but when I repotted the mass cane into organic soil I took them out and potted them seperately and put them in the Cham cage as well. the label on the mass cane did not identify them so I assumed they were pothos. I will leave them in unless someone comes a long and says I shouldn’t for some reason because my Jackson’s so far has never eaten the plants. I’ve never known a jacksons to eat plants.
Same here. It's been in there since mid-Dec., and now it's woven itself into & through everything else.
The most my cham has done is maybe licked a drop of mist water off of a leaf.

I have 3 pothos plants or what I thought were pothos but ive seen pics of philodendron to and to me they look just alike. The two in my Cham cage came planted in the base of the mass cane I recently purchased for my Cham cage but when I repotted the mass cane into organic soil I took them out and potted them seperately and put them in the Cham cage as well. the label on the mass cane did not identify them so I assumed they were pothos. I will leave them in unless someone comes a long and says I shouldn’t for some reason because my Jackson’s so far has never eaten the plants. I’ve never known a jacksons to eat plants.
I would be concerned if it was in a Veileds cage but you have a Jackson so it will be ok. This is one of those some say no some say yes things. I choose to stay on the safer side and avoid them because I have a Veiled that eats everything.

When you say you have placed a blanket over her cage what do you mean by this? You do not want to cover the entire thing. It will not get air flow. During the day it will get very hot. Simply hooking a light weight sheet to the front of the cage is enough. :)
It's partially covered not fully, back panel is uncovered.

Yes, Golden Pothos = Devil's Ivy = Epipremnum aureum. It's listed as safe for chameleons of her persuasion. ;)
https://chameleonacademy.com/plants/

I have some around here someplace; I think it's taking a turn in my bearded dragon's enclosure. The plant currently in my chameleon enclosure that I thought was Epipremnum aureum turned out to be Philodendron hederaceum—a climbing philodendron that looks very similar to pothos.

The odd hour or two without UVB—a couple times a week—shouldn't be a problem; it takes many weeks/months with NO UVB to develop MBD.

Customary practice is to turn all lights on/off 12/12 hrs., but common sense and experience tells us that most chameleons don't sit under a UVB (or the Sun) for 12 hours a day.

Certainly possible, but are they perhaps just marking the anniversary of the day you bought her? 🤷‍♂️
Noted on the UVB, I try to keep them under it as much as possible, if I take them out usually it's once every couple of days and usually for a couple hours at most - they seem pretty happy and healthy to me, I think it's just important that they have the ability to absorb the calcium they naturally know they need, so having a light that does that is appropriate.

My veiled changes her behavior under the non UVB heat bulbs and seems to really love soaking up the heat - usually fanning herself out and pushing out her glular pouch as if she's enjoying soaking up the rays.

Regarding the pothos I recall reading a thread in the past of someone making this mistake, I was in the store breaking a sweat worried but they had the plant tagged as a pothos, and I made sure it looked like pothos, it doesn't have the coloration of white stripes, it looks like pictures I've seen of devils ivy pothos and golden pothos (possibly), they are a very vibrant green, I can send pictures if you'd like to double check me on that, I have literally no problems with a second set of eyes; regardless pretty sure it's pothos.

Thanks for the feedback.

ok so the top is not covered?
The top has the light ballast in the back and the blanket is draped over her humidifier on top of the cage, which leaves room for air to enter and leave over the ballast, her rear panel which is the panel closest to the wall - is open.

However I did remove the blankets yesterday as she hadn't been moving to her lay bin so she may not be ready to lay yet.

Consequently the reason for me checking the forum today - was actually to ask for help identifying whether or not my female veiled is in fact carrying eggs and may be ready to lay somewhat soon, perhaps she isn't ready yet as she is still eating, but haven't caught her drinking.

Attached is a pic of her really letting her belly hang out. Chubby little gal, I like em' curvy anyway. 🤣

Attachments

• 20210712_083922.jpg
    20210712_083922.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 49
I would be concerned if it was in a Veileds cage but you have a Jackson so it will be ok. This is one of those some say no some say yes things. I choose to stay on the safer side and avoid them because I have a Veiled that eats everything.
Veiled that eats everything is literally mine in a nutshell, anything with a leaf she will taste it.

Also my panther chameleon eats dead leaves specifically and bark, I honestly think it is because she is brown/orange/red hue, so I think that it's a behavioral thing, I do catch her eating live plants too, but I've never caught my veiled eating bark off a tree or dead leaves.

The leaves are safe and cleaned, purchased at the pet store, the bark as well, she has a money tree and usually peels the bark off of that. I have some cork bark or some type of bark that is softer and has holes in it, and she also will eat chunks of that from time to time - it's odd but I've written it off as a behavioral thing.

The panther will also randomly stop while walking and stick the tip of her tongue out briefly and put it back in her mouth, kinda like a snake tasting the air. She's an oddball that one.

Noted on the UVB, I try to keep them under it as much as possible, if I take them out usually it's once every couple of days and usually for a couple hours at most - they seem pretty happy and healthy to me, I think it's just important that they have the ability to absorb the calcium they naturally know they need, so having a light that does that is appropriate.

My veiled changes her behavior under the non UVB heat bulbs and seems to really love soaking up the heat - usually fanning herself out and pushing out her glular pouch as if she's enjoying soaking up the rays.

Regarding the pothos I recall reading a thread in the past of someone making this mistake, I was in the store breaking a sweat worried but they had the plant tagged as a pothos, and I made sure it looked like pothos, it doesn't have the coloration of white stripes, it looks like pictures I've seen of devils ivy pothos and golden pothos (possibly), they are a very vibrant green, I can send pictures if you'd like to double check me on that, I have literally no problems with a second set of eyes; regardless pretty sure it's pothos.

Thanks for the feedback.
I'm sure your pothos is just that; I just got carried away thinking about where I had what ATM.
Didn't mean to alarm.

Back
Top Bottom