Sick Veiled

goldilocksadw70

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - Male, Veiled Chameleon. He's approximately a little over a year. We've had him for about months. He's about 7 in from nose to vent.

* Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I handle him about 3 times a day (will explain further on)

* Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? He eats dusted and gut loaded crickets and superworms once a day What amount? He can eat 6-7 crickets. He will eat about 5 superworms once a day. The crickets and worms are not fed on the same day. What is the schedule? I feed him about 10 am every morning. He also likes mixed greens such as kale, a little squash, and apple or banana diced finely. How are you gut-loading your feeders? Kale, carrots, sometimes other vegetables, it truly varies.

* Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? They are dusted with ReptoCal that has the calcium and Vitamin D3 also. They are dusted every other feeding

* Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? I use a couple, I put ice cubes that I make from our bottled water and let them drip into the cage onto the leaves of the fake plants we have. I also mist for at least 5 minutes 2-3 times a day. Do you see your chameleon drinking? Yes, it's fun to watch and he drinks usually in the early evening.

* Fecal Description - Feces looks as it always has, the brownish, green with some white in it and kind of liquidy. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? No, we just located a exotic & reptile vet (supposedly he is) and have not gotten in because he's very busy.

* History - We bought Bean from Petco (boo hiss) when he was a juvenile and a tiny one at that. He is very charasmatic, he likes attention, he likes to be held, he's NEVER hissed or tried to "bite" anyone EVER. He's definitely got an unusual personality than our other 2 chams. He's an awesome pet. He loves being out of his husbandry more than not.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) Screen What are the dimensions? 24x24x48
* Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Honestly, I would look but I know for a fact that they are what we need as far as the chams are concerned. We do the lights 10 hours a day starting at 8 am to 6 pm, however, IF the weather permits, we let them bask in natural sunlight for most of that 10 hour period.

* Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Generally 84-87 Lowest overnight temp? 68 How do you measure these temps? exoterra digital gauge (I leave room for a little fluctuation)

* Humidity - What are your humidity levels? The humidity never has dropped below 70% What do you use to measure humidity? Hygrometer

* Plants - Are you using live plants? No

* Placement - Where is your cage located? I have a shelf custom built especially for my chams, it's in the bathroom which is like a bedroom size. Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? No At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? About 3 feet from the floor

* Location - Where are you geographically located? The California Desert

Current Problem - I noticed this morning that Bean's eyes were sunken in and he seemed pretty lifeless. He's been in our females cage for about a week and was thriving. He was putting on the whole show trying to get her attention and what not. I checked him as I do ALL our chams and he was fine last night. I have been able to give him some water by "helping" him and he was swallowing. I went and put him in a lukewarm shower on a fake plant for 45 minutes to help hydrate. I checked his skin, seems fine. Color has been fine (no signs of stress). He's closing his eyes off and on. He tries to move around but it obviously weak.

On a side note, I am completely OCD about my chams when it comes to their cages being clean and I have researched so much to gain the knowledge that I have and there's always something else to learn. I'm fully aware of a vet in my area and have their address and number as they have an emergency clinic from 6 pm to 8 am. My husband is bringing home some Insectivore Emergency Aid in a couple hours. I just don't know what else to do.

wildblue.net

Hope you can see the picture. I just took it before I posted this.

I understand that. I think he go too stressed as well by "showing" off for the last few days. Thank you so much for the link!

You are very welcome. Keep him out of sight of the female and well hydrated and if he's not better by tomorrow I would get him to the vet.

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - Male, Veiled Chameleon. He's approximately a little over a year. We've had him for about months. He's about 7 in from nose to vent.

* Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I handle him about 3 times a day (will explain further on)

* Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? He eats dusted and gut loaded crickets and superworms once a day this contradicts what you said how you supplement. What amount? He can eat 6-7 crickets. He will eat about 5 superworms once a day. The crickets and worms are not fed on the same day. What is the schedule? I feed him about 10 am every morning. He also likes mixed greens such as kale, a little squash, and apple or banana diced finely. How are you gut-loading your feeders? Kale, carrots, sometimes other vegetables, it truly varies.

* Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? They are dusted with ReptoCal that has the calcium and Vitamin D3 also. They are dusted every other feedinghe needed plain calcium every feeding, calcium with d3 twice a month and a multivitamin twice a month

* Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? I use a couple, I put ice cubes that I make from our bottled water and let them drip into the cage onto the leaves of the fake plants we have. I also mist for at least 5 minutes 2-3 times a day. Do you see your chameleon drinking? Yes, it's fun to watch and he drinks usually in the early evening.

* Fecal Description - Feces looks as it always has, the brownish, green with some white in it and kind of liquidy. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? No, we just located a exotic & reptile vet (supposedly he is) and have not gotten in because he's very busy.

* History - We bought Bean from Petco (boo hiss) when he was a juvenile and a tiny one at that. He is very charasmatic, he likes attention, he likes to be held, he's NEVER hissed or tried to "bite" anyone EVER. He's definitely got an unusual personality than our other 2 chams. He's an awesome pet. He loves being out of his husbandry more than not.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) Screen What are the dimensions? 24x24x48
* Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Honestly, I would look but I know for a fact that they are what we need as far as the chams are concerned. please post what kind they are. if you had him for a year did you ever change the bulbs? We do the lights 10 hours a day starting at 8 am to 6 pm, however, IF the weather permits, we let them bask in natural sunlight for most of that 10 hour period.

* Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Generally 84-87 i would bump a males temps to around 90*Lowest overnight temp? 68 How do you measure these temps? exoterra digital gauge (I leave room for a little fluctuation)

* Humidity - What are your humidity levels? The humidity never has dropped below 70% What do you use to measure humidity? Hygrometer

* Plants - Are you using live plants? No

* Placement - Where is your cage located? I have a shelf custom built especially for my chams, it's in the bathroom which is like a bedroom size. Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? No At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? About 3 feet from the floor

* Location - Where are you geographically located? The California Desert

Current Problem - I noticed this morning that Bean's eyes were sunken in and he seemed pretty lifeless. He's been in our females cage for about a week and was thriving. He was putting on the whole show trying to get her attention and what not. I checked him as I do ALL our chams and he was fine last night. I have been able to give him some water by "helping" him and he was swallowing. I went and put him in a lukewarm shower on a fake plant for 45 minutes to help hydrate. I checked his skin, seems fine. Color has been fine (no signs of stress). He's closing his eyes off and on. He tries to move around but it obviously weak.

On a side note, I am completely OCD about my chams when it comes to their cages being clean and I have researched so much to gain the knowledge that I have and there's always something else to learn. I'm fully aware of a vet in my area and have their address and number as they have an emergency clinic from 6 pm to 8 am. My husband is bringing home some Insectivore Emergency Aid in a couple hours. I just don't know what else to do.

wildblue.net

Hope you can see the picture. I just took it before I posted this.

sorry for your loss. ive got a few questions for you (see the red in the quote). you have other chams in your care? please post your care with those also. if your other chams on your current supplementing schedule it needs to change ASAP. we also need to make sure you have correct lighting and temps depending on your species.

I`m so sorry that he has passed away :( It is amazing how attached we become to our chams. Will you have a necropsy carried out ? It may be a good idea to figure out what happened.

sorry for your loss. ive got a few questions for you (see the red in the quote). you have other chams in your care? please post your care with those also. if your other chams on your current supplementing schedule it needs to change ASAP. we also need to make sure you have correct lighting and temps depending on your species.

With all that was going on with him, I really wasn't thinking straight. Yes, he was getting the calcium/D3 dusted every feeding and the multi vitamin twice a week with the greens he was eating.

The lights we changed at 6 months along with our bearded dragon bulbs too, it's just easier to remember that way. They have the UVB 5.0 and the heat emitting bulb AND they are 7 inches from the highest point in their cages. I think that covers all your questions.

Could never see the picture-can you post another one? With a sudden death like that and other animals, especially the female he was in with, I would either get a necropsy or at least a fecal on the others to make sure the death was not parasitic.

Back
Top Bottom