Sick Veiled Chameleon

greedocham

My year old male veiled chameleon was doing fine up until two days ago. Yesterday we took him to the vet because he was acting weird who said it was the start of MBD but nothing to be too concerned about as we should just add in more calcium to his diet and gut load his crickets with more vitamin-rich foods. Today I found his laying on the floor of his cage. He let me pick him up which he has never let me do before. He is breathing and holding on to my hand but won't open his eyes or mouth. I have tried dropping the liquid calcium on his lips but he isn't licking it off. Any recommendations?
Details: cage is 16x16x30 screen cage, lots of branches and artificital leaves, water spout always on, perch kept at about 92 degrees F

Attachments

• IMG_1535.jpeg
    IMG_1535.jpeg
    168.9 KB · Views: 79
First of all, your enclosure is way too small, he should be in at least a 24x24x48 at his age. He does not look good, he is extremely pale. I don't know what to say. Any pictures of his enclosure? Tell us in detail on what you supplement him, his lights, when you changed them, the temp, etc. This is essential if you want help. Use the ask for help thing to display information. Hopefully he should be okay, but he looks very, very bad.

First of all, your enclosure is way too small, he should be in at least a 24x24x48 at his age. He does not look good, he is extremely pale. I don't know what to say. Any pictures of his enclosure? Tell us in detail on what you supplement him, his lights, when you changed them, the temp, etc. This is essential if you want help. Use the ask for help thing to display information. Hopefully he should be okay, but he looks very, very bad.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled, male, and approx. 1.5 years old
  • Handling - Almost never because he has never let me get too close.
  • Feeding - He gets 8-10 crickets a day that are gut loaded with Flukers complete cricket diet, kale, and sweet potato and dusted in repcal
  • Supplements - RepCal powder with every feeding and D3 twice a month
  • Watering - He has a water dripper, I dont' see him drink from there too often but he goes down to drink from the bowl that collects the excess water drops
  • Fecal Description - Urate was very yellow and gooey consistency, poop looked dark in color and drier than usual
  • History - MBD, hasn't been eating well lately

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - 16x16x30 (I know it is too small, I have already ordered a larger cage to arrive tomorrow)
  • Lighting - Zoo Med UVB and Heating light, 7:30am-8:30pm
  • Temperature - 92F at perch and 80F at bottom of cage
  • Humidity - High 90s, misting often, humidity thermometer
  • Plants - No live plants, just artificial
  • Placement - On desk, not near fans or vent, 4feet off ground.
  • Location - Northeast coast

It may be too hot, ambient temps that are not at the basking area should be at the 70's so that they can control their body temp. What is the UVB? I would ditch the Flukers gutload, it is not very good. What is the repcal supplement? He should also be getting a variety of insects, like silkworms, superworms, etc., but no mealworms. @Katacara sells very good silkworms. Please include a picture of the enclosure.

It may be too hot, ambient temps that are not at the basking area should be at the 70's so that they can control their body temp. What is the UVB? I would ditch the Flukers gutload, it is not very good. What is the repcal supplement? He should also be getting a variety of insects, like silkworms, superworms, etc., but no mealworms. @Katacara sells very good silkworms. Please include a picture of the enclosure.
Reptisun 5.0 UVB. Rep-cal phosphorous free calcium supplement with no D3 and the same with D3 for twice a month. He gets a few superworms or a hornworm once a week. is there anything I can do for him now?

Does the vet know of his condition? You should dust the calcium without d3 every feeding, the multivitamin and calcium with d3 every 2 weeks alternating. Is the UVB bulb a linear bulb or compact? Pictures of the enclosure please.

He gets the normal calcium without D3 every day. The only vet who cares for exotic pets in my area won't be in the office until Monday but I left an email and voicemail for her. The UVB bulb is compact

Attachments

• IMG_1536.jpeg
    IMG_1536.jpeg
    337 KB · Views: 74
I would switch to a linear uvb bulb, it will cover much more area in the enclosure instead of one little area the compact does. I use Reptisun t5 HO 5.0 bulb. Also if his urate is yellow he needs more fluids, I would give him a shower. Basically put a branch in the shower and turn it on to warm and just let the spray of the shower hit him, not directly under the stream just the overspray he hopefully will start drinking. Stay in there and watch him carefully.

I'm would get ridof the artificial plants. Veileds have been known to try to eat them. If hes pooping a normal amountmthen he hasnt likely eaten any yet. Any real plants in the cage should be non-toxic, well washed both sides of the leaves.

Since he's laying on the floor of the cage with his eyes shut then IMHO he needs to see the vet now. Do they not have emergency services??

I’ve been in contact with a vet two hours away who is willing to stay in the office to see us. We are on our way now. Hoping for the best, thank you all so much

Any conclusion to this? Did the vet say anything about the swollen casque? Could be a symptom of the health issue at hand.

Back
Top Bottom