Sick Panther with Worms

He looks bad. I don't know if anyone mentioned this or not, I didn't read every post but I'd give him some pedialyte via a dropper or a syringe without a needle. The long shower is also excellent. I drive over two hours to see Dr. Alfonso. He is an excellent chameleon vet. If he makes it till in the morning I would be there when the door opens at 8.

It is so very important to have regular fecals.

Thanks for the help everyone.. he spent 15 min. in shower then we got him back in his cage. He tried defecating and his intestines came out instead, he died immediately after that. I am terribly upset at the pet store and at my self for not being able to save him. Wish there was more I could have done. :(

We contacted the petstore where we got him and told them about everything that happened. They commented on how he was fine the whole time they had him and apologized for us having to go through all this. They generously gave us another Panther as a gesture of their good will.

At least they are trying to make things right. Did you find out where they got the other one? You will need to clean your exisiting cage with a 10% bleach and dish soap solution to kill any parasites. I would fear the new one could have the same issue.

They said they got it from a private breeder that supplies them with their chameleons.

We just finished bleaching the cage and all the stuff in it with a strong bleach solution and rinsed it multiple times. Now its drying out in the sun. I'm really hoping he doesn't have the same problem too. I don't want to go through this again. I really didn't want to get another one for awhile after this whole mess, but its kind of hard to pass up a free chameleon. :eek:

I am tending to not believe them. The only time you see worms that bad is in recent WC imports. Or if it is true-that has to be one nasty private breeder.

Yeah, not much we can do about it now though. Their supplier may not have been completely truthful too, you never know.

I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and watch this new guy like a hawk!

I would take him and a fecal to the Vet straight away in the few days after you get him. Do you know how old the one you are gettng is? THe last one was very much an adult.

I'll call the vet tomorrow when they open to get a fecal done. I'm definitely not taking any chances this time.

This guy is a tad bit smaller than the first guy. I'll post a picture once he get's settled in his cage. Right now he's hanging out in one of our small tanks (that's been disinfected of course!)that our snakes outgrew, waiting for his new home to dry out.

Back
Top Bottom