Sick Oliver on Ceftaz

I took him back to the vet today for a skin scraping and she said we will know if there is fungus present in 7-10 days.

He gained 3 grams, so I was really happy about that :D

She also prescribed .9 ml of oral itraconazol in the event fungus is present. Should I go ahead and give him the anti fungal? What are side effects with this medicine if no fungus is present, and with ceftaz? I really don't want to wait 7-10 days before treatment

Other then the blood scare, which is still leaving me really worried about his kidneys, I think he is doing really well. I know the blood came out with his sperm (2 of them), but even then that was scary:(

Would follow the vets advice. Hence, the 10 years+ of schooling. As long as he is progressing, gaining the 3g like you said, be patient. Just post the vet's advice, asking if correct. Sorry, if I got you yelled at for scratch question. Just want to always be aware of how serious issues can arise from something that can seem minor at the time. Hope all coloring returns upon recovery, he is pretty.

Well I thought he has getting better. Day 3 of Intraconazole with ceftaz and this has appeared on his "good" side
6e2435ca21df8bcbb48ca1f8a2e5ca85.jpg
f409d6897f278f3dec93c8a2cd044703.jpg

His other side has had no marks on it until yesterday...is this indicative of fungal?

Update: there is fungal growing, however it is unrecognizable by my vet. She said where it would be usually turning white, it is turning red/black in the culture. We are sending it off to another lab to have it analyzed.

She said that fungus usually takes 7-10 days to grow and this grew in 5 days. What types of fungus are this fast growing?

Last edited:
Did you ask you vet about the drugs Lynda mentioned above? Lynda knows allot about chams and been keeping over 25 years.

Itraconozole and ketaconazole are two fungal medications that might be used.

Yes, he was put on Intraconazole last Thursday.

Can antibiotics cause fungal infections?

Good at least he's on some meds. I don't know about the antibiotic causing a fungal infection. You situation with Oliver is so complicated not many of us here know how to help. Hopefully, Dayna will see this.

I have nothing to contribute except that I really hope Oliver pulls through. How horrible :(

PS - It goes without saying to protect yourself to you get this figured out. Keep those hands washed and everything sanitized.

Last edited:
Thank you:eek:

This fungal thing is so frustrating because there were no sores under his limbs until he was started on antibiotics...

Antibiotics can sometimes lead to fungal infections but in my experience its in he soft tissues (like thrush)....not on the skin.

You could have the vet test for (CANV) Nannizziopsis vreisii although I'm not sure that's what it is. I'm not a fungal expert for sure. If it is CANV it should be cured by the Itrakonazole....and its especially important to be on an oral antifungal when it it CANV because it goes internal and hits the organs.

This fungal thing is so frustrating because there were no sores under his limbs until he was started on antibiotics...

As I mentioned in PM - antibiotics do not cause a secondary fungal infection like you're thinking of. Candida albicans is the thrush fungus that can sometimes occur in people on antibiotics does not affect the skin and is not something we see in reptiles like this. While it is easy to think there is a correlation between the fungus worsening when antibiotics started it is not necessarily causation. If you had not started antibiotics you would still be seeing this worsening because the antibiotics were not treating the problem. So the antibiotics didn't cause it to get worse, it just didn't cause it to get better because antibiotics treat bacteria only. And if it doesn't get better it naturally will continue to spread and get worse. Make sense? I would definitely continue the antibiotic because it has very few side effects and the disrupted skin is primed for bacteria to move in so the antibiotic is preventing secondary infection if not treating one already present.

Now, as far as where to go from here. I would suggest some gentle scrubbing of the 'armpit' areas where it seems to be the worst (which makes sense as both fungus and bacteria thrive in dark enclosed spaces) because the crusting is just harboring additional growth and making it harder to clear. You can use dilute iodine/poviodine from any drug store diluted to a light tea color with water. USe q-tips soaked in the diluted solution to gently wipe away the crusts and coat the underlying skin. Watch out because iodine stains where it drips and gold jewelry. Chlorhexidine solution would also be a good one if available.

Ideally I'd be using silver sulfadiazene (SSD) on the most affected skin areas after cleaning them too because it will help the skin heal and fight some bacteria and fungi at the source.

Kinyonga has a good thought with looking for CANV - hopefully the lab the sample was sent to could identify it from the scraping. Although a biopsy would have been better.

Remember: reptiles get sick very slowly and they heal very slowly. Their metabolism is about 8x slower than mammals. So be patient and give everything time to work. It pretty much always gets worse before it gets better with these guys, which is what you're seeing. That's normal.

So Oliver probably thinks I am the devil...he hated getting cleaned up but he desperately needed it.

Thank you so so so much!!

Last edited:
Okay. Poor guy...I think I'm going to try and get a small dose of metacam for him, he hates hates the cleaning and I want to alleviate as much pain as possible. :(

Well he didn't love the metacam. I gave him a dose and he almost immediately threw it up. I tried about 30 minutes later with a smaller amount and he again puked it up. :(

Back
Top Bottom