Sick Cham, Need Advice.

John1993

My chameleon was diagnosed with cancer a few months ago. He’s beginning to show neurological symptoms. He can’t really eat properly, and recently stopped going down for water or drinking from misting even. Kind of like MBD without the bone problems...

Should I just let nature take its course or should I hand feed/hydrate him? I don’t want him to suffer and it’s been a long time coming.

As far as health practices for a dying Cham are concerned, I’m not your gal. But personally, I would want to know I did everything I could to make him comfortable.

I don't know how to give you any advice for this, all I can offer is that I will pray for you guys, and hopefully your chameleon will get better.

I don't know how to give you any advice for this, all I can offer is that I will pray for you guys, and hopefully your chameleon will get better.
If the roles were reversed what would you want to happen?
Thanks for the support. Unfortunately with something like cancer I doubt that he will get better, and I don’t know if any cancer treatments for reptiles (probably couldn’t afford something like that anyway) exist. Personally I wouldn’t want to be kept alive with a terminal illness if I was a vegetable, but that’s just me and I’m not a chameleon so it’s still hard for me to decide what do to. :/

Maybe take him to the vet for euthanization? If you think he's too miserable to keep living, I think that would be better than slow starvation and dehydration. Sorry for your loss!

I'm not experienced enough for any health issue's but I will pray for both of you. For you to have wisdom of what to do, and for your chameleon not to suffer much more

Yes I will be sure to do so, thank you. I actually saw him up and about today. He might have just fallen or something, but I saw him climbing around the bottom of his viv, maybe looking for water or something since he really hadn't been eating much, but I just attributed that to him being nearly 13 years old. Poor guy, I just dont want him to suffer. I know he lived a long and happy life, so seeing him go wouldn't be that painful anyways.

13 years! What species is this? That is no small feet. Congrats on keeping him alive and happy for such a long time.

That said I am very sorry to hear about him not doing well. I think it's harder to let go when they have been in your life for so long.

I would probably go with euthanasia so he doesn't suffer if it was me. I had to do this with a dog I had that was suffering with hip dysplasia. While it was sad I felt closer in knowing the pain was over. Either that or go with the hospice way and make him comfortable and move the basking and stuff lower so he doesn't climb high and fall.

13 years! What species is this? That is no small feet. Congrats on keeping him alive and happy for such a long time.

That said I am very sorry to hear about him not doing well. I think it's harder to let go when they have been in your life for so long.

I would probably go with euthanasia so he doesn't suffer if it was me. I had to do this with a dog I had that was suffering with hip dysplasia. While it was sad I felt closer in knowing the pain was over. Either that or go with the hospice way and make him comfortable and move the basking and stuff lower so he doesn't climb high and fall.
He's a Parson's.

I would euthanize, but I don't know if he's in pain yet - suffering. Yes he can't eat - that is due to him not being able to really focus his eyes on the feeders, which I believe is just another early symptom - but I think (?) he's still semi-active and generally OK. It's just that if I didn't hand feed/hydrate he would surely pass away, and there's literally nothing I can do to fix it except watch him deteriorate further. I guess what I'm trying to say is how will I know when/if he's in pain?

I've never encountered any problems with him except for an issue with dehydration a few years ago, so there's that too...

My chameleon was diagnosed with cancer a few months ago. He’s beginning to show neurological symptoms. He can’t really eat properly, and recently stopped going down for water or drinking from misting even. Kind of like MBD without the bone problems...

Should I just let nature take its course or should I hand feed/hydrate him? I don’t want him to suffer and it’s been a long time coming.

I'm so sorry to hear this.

I lost my dog of 15 years 2 weeks ago and it's the worst thing in the world, having to make a decision that is in effect, to kill a close family member.

Whilst it's so hard, I always said that if he couldn't get out and sniff about around the park, he would not really have any quality of life left and that's when you have to call time.

Personally, from what you have described, I would choose to make a last visit to the vet rather than letting the animal suffer or decline any further.

Cancer is a bitch in all species. Whatever you decide to do, I can only say that I wish you all the best.

Back
Top Bottom