Sick Baby Veiled

ok I just felt bad for the people as after that post they stated they were trying to do everything they could. Yes, I get angry to at times like when I see a chameleon with its limbs broken because someone did not provide it uvb or calcium. I guess I just took it the wrong way as these people seem very nice and willing to do whatever it takes to help their chameleon. So it's all good!

haha i hear you. not a problem :)
tho the broken bone thing really got to me...
id like to see the people responsible for that in the chams position.

Thank you for explaining the part about only getting the humidity up temporarily and then letting it go back down. I was under the misconception that I needed to keep her humidity up constantly. I am going to try running the mister only for short intervals, rather than doing away with it. Also, I think we are going to get some wooden dowels to put horizontally across her cage - do you think that would work well?

Oh no I def would not get rid of it. That is def an asset that I wish I had, but yea thats a good idea u got to run it at intervals. It should work real well for you! Im not really sure what u mean by dowels? I only say that about the horizontal pathways,because I seen that platform thing u have and I really think he would feel more comfortable where his feet can grasp along with his tail. Im not sure if u have noticed but evolution has made them look somewhat awkward on flat ground lol! I think for the most part they like various size branches, vines, and sticks to move on. You have a pretty good idea with the ropes in all in their! If your looking into one more plant for him an easy and good option would be a nice schefflara to fill up the center of the cage. They are descent size, relatively cheap, and do pretty good inside for me! No problem and im happy to help! Your doing great!

here is a misting chart to go by for your cham.
10 second mist when light comes on in morning. mines at 7am.
15 seconds at 9 am. 20 seconds at 12. 10-15 seconds at 2.
10-15 seconds at 4. and 10-15 seconds at 6. each month add 10+ seconds to each. also you should get some sort of plant for the cage. i have a schefflera it's huge and my cham loves it because of his tiny feet and the branches. look at a schefflera, pothos or ficus. hibiscus is good but hard to keep indoors without proper lighting.

Its good to give it those intervals of dry time, 20 seconds of spray may work for you, but I have found that with a lot of chameleons you need to stimulate them to get them to start drinking. A lot of people like Carol say that you need to spray them for at least a minute or two before they start drinking the water that your spraying in there, and that goes for hand misting also. I have found that i also have good luck misting for a couple of minutes and that usually gives him enough time to start licking his lips and drinking the water as i spray. He may be ok with just 20 seconds of spraying and just drinking off the leaves though who knows. The thing I have found out is that its good to read on here and just try different things that work best for your and your chameleon. As long as you are doing your reading and sticking to the needs best you can, your chameleon should live a healthy life. Also, i would take a look at the supplements as well as the gut-loading section on here, because that is going to be so so important for your young chameleon. The calcium with no D3 at every feeding as well as the calcium with d3 twice a month. Also a good multi-vitamin twice a month is recommended. This will help to ensure you got a good strong healthy growing chameleon and avoid MBD.

Its good to give it those intervals of dry time, 20 seconds of spray may work for you, but I have found that with a lot of chameleons you need to stimulate them to get them to start drinking. A lot of people like Carol say that you need to spray them for at least a minute or two before they start drinking the water that your spraying in there, and that goes for hand misting also. I have found that i also have good luck misting for a couple of minutes and that usually gives him enough time to start licking his lips and drinking the water as i spray. He may be ok with just 20 seconds of spraying and just drinking off the leaves though who knows. The thing I have found out is that its good to read on here and just try different things that work best for your and your chameleon. As long as you are doing your reading and sticking to the needs best you can, your chameleon should live a healthy life. Also, i would take a look at the supplements as well as the gut-loading section on here, because that is going to be so so important for your young chameleon. The calcium with no D3 at every feeding as well as the calcium with d3 twice a month. Also a good multi-vitamin twice a month is recommended. This will help to ensure you got a good strong healthy growing chameleon and avoid MBD.

with how young the cham is i think a minute of constant mist would drown the little guy. I've heard of story's of chams with too much water in their lungs from that.

with how young the cham is i think a minute of constant mist would drown the little guy. I've heard of story's of chams with too much water in their lungs from that.

Sometimes it can take several minutes to stimulate a chameleon to drink. That is one of the reasons why people mist for longer periods of time. I use drippers also and it sometimes can take me several minutes of dripping water on their nose to get them to drink. They do not start instantly.

I am by no means an expert i could be wrong, but most of the experienced keepers stories and advice i have heard state that water needs to be given at decent intervals each time to stimulate drinking. I would like to think that babies in a Madagascar like jungle would be able to handle more than a twenty second shower before drowning.

I am by no means an expert i could be wrong, but most of the experienced keepers stories and advice i have heard state that water needs to be given at decent intervals each time to stimulate drinking. I would like to think that babies in a Madagascar like jungle would be able to handle more than a twenty second shower before drowning.

that may be true but they can also somewhat get out of the way of the rain unlike a cham in a small cage where it may not have adequate cover to hide from the water if it chooses.

This is true, im sure they can find protection better out there than in their cage. I was just trying to support the findings of what people have found to be true and what people have used as a general rule or guidance for their pet chameleons. Like i have said i don't own a mister but do people usually have it set up to where their chameleon can't get out of the way of a couple of misting nozzles? Also, for the ones that mist their chams for more than 20 second intervals, are their chameleons coming up drowned? I may need to rethink my watering?

This is true, im sure they can find protection better out there than in their cage. I was just trying to support the findings of what people have found to be true and what people have used as a general rule or guidance for their pet chameleons. Like i have said i don't own a mister but do people usually have it set up to where their chameleon can't get out of the way of a couple of misting nozzles? Also, for the ones that mist their chams for more than 20 second intervals, are their chameleons coming up drowned? I may need to rethink my watering?

sure but maybe getting out of the way isn't the problem.
what if the cham really likes it and just stands there?
and again we are referring to baby chams not adult obviously.

Thats what most have found to be true as well! sometimes it can turn into a few minutes real quick if he is real thirsty lol! Sometimes i like doing it by hand , makes me feel like I'm able to interact a bit more. I know its probably not the case but it can be a good feeling. Of course there are many times i wish i had an automatic mister also.

Back
Top Bottom