Shower method fail

FlChamMom

Avid Member
So I tried the shower method on my panther because he had yellow urates. Followed the instructions to the letter... he spent the entire time escaping the plant and walking the shower floor. Did not drink a drop. :(

I haven't had any success with the shower method either. I have tried it with both of my panthers and they never drink no matter how long they are in there. They just try to find a way out.

if its warm enough outside put a plant out and use the hose to simulate rain. it worked for us during the summer

It was your instructions I followed to the letter.:) Zeke is a picky drinker. I have a MistKing a dripper and use a syringe occasionally.

Try a good LONG warm hand mist. We use MistKings in the parsons rooms and by no means it that fine mist and the 8 hour a day dripper enough. I do a heavy misting 2 or 3 times a week with my big automatic roll around mister from outside.

I clean the little soap handle thing really well - it's mounted on the wall- and I just tie vines over and around it, they never touch the floor. He would totally try to escape if he could. :p

He is always very nervous the first 5 minutes or so, but he will 10 times out of 10 clean his eyes once he thinks I'm not standing there anymore. Never seen him drink in the shower, though. Never seen him drink period, actually. He's very sneaky.

Cant say I've ever tried the shower with anything other then a melleri. Kristina threw a bunch of big plants in with the shower bouncing off the wall. The melleri starting drinking instantly.

Carl

I had problems with ever seeing my chameleons drink before I got my rain dome- both MistKing and Aquazamp have "rain" systems out there - I was wondering if anyone besides me has had more luck getting chameleons to drink using them? I wouldn't want you to spend money on a whole system for something that might not work for you. I think you can get just the dome if you already have a mister- (though it doesn't work with a monsoon or monsoon pieces)

I recommend a super long warm misting followed by a long dripping. That's what works for me.

I agree with Jann, I had a problem with Squee not drinking.
So I put a bright orange Gateraid cap on the branch and set up the dripper to drip in the cap. The cap fills with water, and cascades down like a little water fall.
This got his attention, and he started to drink from it right away.
Now he drinks from the cap, even when the dripper is shut off, but still standing water inside the cap.

This method, however, did not work all my chams, and some will only drink when the water is dripping on their heads.
Others will only lick the water off of leaves!!

You just have to try several methods ;)

Getting chams to drink can be a real PITA :rolleyes:

I have resorted to putting Popeye on his plant in the sink and spraying warm water on plant and him. I then set the tap off at a fine trickle and if he wants to drink he does.

I had problems with ever seeing my chameleons drink before I got my rain dome- both MistKing and Aquazamp have "rain" systems out there - I was wondering if anyone besides me has had more luck getting chameleons to drink using them? I wouldn't want you to spend money on a whole system for something that might not work for you. I think you can get just the dome if you already have a mister- (though it doesn't work with a monsoon or monsoon pieces)

My personal opinion of the "rain" dome thing is it does help stimulate drinking in montanes, since they actually get in the rain and the water drips down their heads and into their mouth.
But it doesn't help with panthers or veiled. With them, I have more luck with a dripper.
I have yet to see any of my chams actually drink from the Mistking, and I only keep it because it raises humidity.

The problem with the rain dome (I had to remove it) is the whole cage gets saturated when it goes off! there is lots of water coming down.

I was having a big problem with the cage drying out properly between rain cycles, and mold started to develop.

I would need to put it on a separate timer then the rest of the cages, which just have regular nozzles.

So now I use a hand spray bottle and spray with warm water from above them.
That, and the dripper, which they can stick their heads under and get a drink, works for my montanes.

Back
Top Bottom