Show me your (Individual) baby cage setup!

I forgot to mention that they were not bug tight lids so I had to create a gasket for each one or my house would be awash with crickets and bean beetles. PIA
What do you expect for 4$ a piece.

Here is what I came up with as the cages I wanted are not available, something about a pandemic. These are too small for most species but it will hold my guys in pairs for the first month and individually until maybe 4 months when they get moved into screen cages. They are screened on the front and top. The back is covered so they can't really see each other. Each one has two four inch pots that also serve as the feet to save space in the interior. My shelving is 18x48 and I have a 48" dual fixture with T5 UVB and 6500K for the plants it's providing plenty of heat for my Jackson's in fact I'm using a small fan to move off the excess. I put a valve in the line of my misting system to reduce the pressure and am using it to provide drip irrigation. I hand mist twice daily but the dripper works as a backup.
View attachment 266856View attachment 266857View attachment 266858

This is what I am planning for my babies. Was just searching tubs.
I am thinking to start the tub bio active with a plant in it. I would bee selling the whole thing , including vitamins and schedule, and baby cham, supply of dubia and super worms.
My thought is live plants and vitamins seems to get skipped by new owners. So this is to help remind them.
Plus the babies having grown up in the tub should have far less stress in transport. Further this would allow new owners to focus on the adult size enclosure, as I plan to use a size that would be suitable up to about 6 months old.

They would need to buy a light, but pat that I hope to give the chams and owners an easy transition.
Plus they would also have bio active soil to use with isopods and spring tails.

I am not looking for profit per say, and I am already growing plants and cultures so I think I will be able to offer these at the next reptile show for around $100
So I am kinda of looking for opinions if this seems like a doable idea.

Shipping would be too pricey but reptile show sales could be doable. You would probably need something twice the size of what I have here.

Here is what I came up with as the cages I wanted are not available, something about a pandemic. These are too small for most species but it will hold my guys in pairs for the first month and individually until maybe 4 months when they get moved into screen cages. They are screened on the front and top. The back is covered so they can't really see each other. Each one has two four inch pots that also serve as the feet to save space in the interior. My shelving is 18x48 and I have a 48" dual fixture with T5 UVB and 6500K for the plants it's providing plenty of heat for my Jackson's in fact I'm using a small fan to move off the excess. I put a valve in the line of my misting system to reduce the pressure and am using it to provide drip irrigation. I hand mist twice daily but the dripper works as a backup.
View attachment 266856View attachment 266857View attachment 266858

That is extremely tidy. Marie Kondo would approve!

I forgot to mention that they were not bug tight lids so I had to create a gasket for each one or my house would be awash with crickets and bean beetles. PIA
What do you expect for 4$ a piece.

That was another option I had thought of. Was the gasket sealed bins, they are like 18Lx10Wx14T I thought about building a rack of those, or maybe build a snake rack like setup out of those, for babies with a screen top shelf and UVB lights OFC. I am just not sure if that is worth the savings of cost, with the increased labor that would be had with feeding ect. Maybe I am overthinking it and it wont be too bad lol.

With the rack, I wouldn't need the lids, and it should be escape proof. My largest concern is babies on the screen top and I try to pull the bin open, without noticing.

Its been back of my mind kind of late. I got some Satanics, on order, and am running that on loop making sure my setups is good and such before they get here, I am so very afraid of working with them.

I was afraid this was going to be a problem getting feeders into it securely but it's working out. I lay the screened front or lid down in front of the feeder drop the bugs in from a small cup or tp roll and the escapees end up on the inside of the screen door and mostly get closed up inside. I'm interested to see how your works out.

@cyberlocc what about bio bins like these:

Not sure why the FB post won't link. Here is the pic on IG. If you go to this post on his FB page, he has a lot of other information and feedback on this method in the comments.

Thats exactly what I was meaning by the rack.

Except instead of screen on the lid, like they have. I was thinking a screened shelf, they slide into, like a snake rack but with aboreal tubs.

Down side to the slide out bins is if a baby gets on the top screen you may not be able to open the bin if the babies is in harms way.

Thought about that too.

One idea, was to try and keep them from getting that high. Likely not practical. So my new idea was was to do 1x5s on the front and back, and then attach the Screen on top of that. The bins are 18 deep almost, so that would be 9 inches of screen or so enough for venting and enough for UVB. Then I can open it enough safely to feed, and such, even if they are on the screen.

I had thought about doing it like Reds pic, but it just becomes unpractical when you have a bunch of them, bunch of babies. Opening those lids every day for feeding, x60 of those bins for instance, thats just an insane time sink.

Maybe, if you used bins that didnt have the locking clasp. However the bins he is using, and I was planning too as well. Are gasket seal, they have 4 latches, you would have to pull out and unlatch the 4 clamp, then relacth and put back. Its very annoying, my roaches are in bins like that, and thats bad enough.

Last edited:
I think the bigger concern that I keep coming back to with those bins, is they are only like 13 tall. Is that really enough.

For actually the same price as the bins you could get critter keeper XLs. Which are about the same size and you wouldn't need to screen the top, its already screen.

However at the end of the Day, the very best method here will always be, Custom PVC/Wood builds, with Sliding Glass doors. It will be the easiest to setup misting, easiest to feed and easiest to monitor.

Kritter Keeper Xl is a little less volume and more expensive than a 20 qt sterilite gasket box. And how would lighting work with that lid? You would need to cut the top and add screen for the sterilite though.

What about no top?

Here is phase 2 for up to 6 months of age for my smaller species
34EF579D-9647-4A9D-A4DE-FACAAF629FD5.jpeg
699272F6-3C7A-47E6-BC6B-0DD660CF4FE6.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom