Show me your (Individual) baby cage setup!

That was one of the ideas, yes. Except the 8 inch version. I am sure the 8x8x12 would be fine for the carpets and the Minors, and its whats used commonly for the larger leaf tails, when they are young. BUT would it be suitable, in YOUR opinion for a Panther baby? I am not sure how big those Merus are, pretty small arent they?

The more I turn this round and round in my brain, this is seeming like the best option. If I do a 42 inch rack, I should be able to fit 4 per shelf, and have 5 shelves high, so 25 cages per shelf.

Is that tall enough though. We still have not got an answer lol,

@kinyonga @jannb is that tall enough for Panther babies till 4 months. I will have larger cages for after 4 months, but for the bulk, for the 4 months I need something till then.

I know the bins, but Panthers are just a, because I have panthers anyway, so might as well. My main reasoning for getting the cages, and breeding is Carpets and Minors, and they breed more often, so they will use the cages more. In that respect, from what I have seen, for Minors, individual caging is a must, from what I am saying they are extremely violent, and cannot be raised in groups.

So nano breeze, 10x10x12, for panthers till 4 months? (thats likely plenty for the smaller Minors and Carpets). So with that I can still do about 18 (maybe more) 16x16x20s, for ones that are bigger, or get over the 4 months mark.
I know your asking @jannb she approved my set ups they were exactly like hers . They could stay 10 weeks I would say .

Hey guys looking for ideas for Individual baby cage racks.

Was thinking wood, and still am as a possibility. I want to see what other folks have done! I was thinking glass cages, my concern is I would like the rack on wheels, and I am not sure how well that would work out, dont want it to fall over or something.
Here’s my temporary indoor baby facilities, I’ll post pics of the outdoor later.

Attachments

• 57C7D506-8584-41C7-86C2-4E087112EDCA.jpeg
    57C7D506-8584-41C7-86C2-4E087112EDCA.jpeg
    241.6 KB · Views: 236
  • 41AB5A94-497A-4D52-99BA-FD18557875DA.jpeg
    41AB5A94-497A-4D52-99BA-FD18557875DA.jpeg
    242.2 KB · Views: 219
As promised, here is one of the outdoor baby cages. Each cage is 16x16x34, each has a visual barrier from its neighbour. Screen is 1/4” hardware cloth.

Attachments

• 332D65DF-7FCF-4B3B-945E-43CDC0F1B1AA.jpeg
    332D65DF-7FCF-4B3B-945E-43CDC0F1B1AA.jpeg
    469.8 KB · Views: 155
  • 29C9E9F5-3F8B-46F1-AADA-9FE47BF8A0CC.jpeg
    29C9E9F5-3F8B-46F1-AADA-9FE47BF8A0CC.jpeg
    533.3 KB · Views: 160
Here’s my temporary indoor baby facilities, I’ll post pics of the outdoor later.
This is probably the best looking diy setup I have seen so far. But how about watering? Do you have to manually water each cage ?? If so that’s a lot of hands on.

So Current Ideas, (I have a Few.)

Idea 1 is this, and its really not my preferable Idea, as its heavy and a PAIN in the rear to do it.

2020-04-25 17_41_55-Window.png

In that idea, there is a PVC sheet as a Floor, 2 PVC sheets as Walls on the outside, and 4 dividers throughout the center. I will build a 3 inch, Substrate dam out of PVC, and screen doors will fit inside of the PVC.

So it will look something like this.
Baby Cages.png

The Unit will be 45 inches wide, 18 (and change) inches tall, and 12 inches deep. Each cell will be 9" w (about) 18" tall (About) 12" deep.

The Material list, you see above will build 2 units (10 cells) with a Ton of Screen Frame left over, and some Extra PVC, that is waste (I surely could find a use for it HA!) So 2 more, doubles everything but the frame. Obviously there is still hardware not listed, like hinges and door latches but those should not cost that much.

My Concerns with this method.
Weight! This will be fairly heavy, that 1/2 inch PVC foamboard is defiantly not featherlite. Its not super heavy, but its not light either. A fix for that, is to use a similar to old DS design, and build screen cages and then mount them together, with PVC sheets between them, this would WAY reduce the cost, and slightly reduce the work, and may be an option to consider. However! I am not sure what the cost would be, and merging the Units I am not sure how to do. (Something I may still look into)

IDEA 2.
Another option I had seen, before was the "Rubbermaid All Access" method. There use to be a Bin by Rubbermaid, that has a plastic clear door, and was a bin pretty much as normal other than that. I have found a TON of "Shoeboxs" like it, however not one that is sized correctly, except 1.

The one I seen, was a double shoebox/Boot/Sweater, it was 9 inches tall, 18 inches wide, and 14 inches deep. However, the door opened bottom up, or top down, so If I stacked those on their sides, they would be 9"w x 14"d x 18" tall, PERFECT. I would just have to cut the top out and add a screen from and glue them together and boom done. Sadly they were on Amazon UK, and "Currently Unavailable" :(

There is HOPE! Someone else in the world, has to make a bin like that. If I can find it, I can build IT! It would be stupid easy, STUPID CHEAP (the bins were 8 a piece!) and for the less DIY inclined or me if being lazy, you could drill some front vents in the door, and drill some holes for the 4 inch round vents in the roof. (A rectangle with frame would be better though).

That would be the HOLY GRAIL, of Chameleon Baby caging!

Update. I found a shoebox, its a tad smaller than I would like. But should be doable size.

I want to make sure its not going to melt or something, before I link them and people start buying them in mass. So I will update when I do.

But they have magnetic doors and bearing hinges to put opening resistance so it doesn't just fall. So should be perfect! 14 inches wide (will be height) 11 deep and 9 wide. Cheapest I have found so far is 45 for a 3 pack. This is going to be insanely good deal if it works.

It appears that its made from polypropylene, which is used for bottles, straws, cups, ect so is considered safe. It has a high melting temp, and deformation temp, its used in the kitchen and can handle boiling water, so we should be fine from that point.

Silicon is said to not stick well, so thats an issue with sealing. So some type of soil bin will have to be made, but we we will see how that pans out.

Last edited:
Ya, I think I found my answer...

Check this out!

2020-04-25 20_06_41-Clear Magnetic Plastic Shoe Boxes Drop Front Shoe Storage Box Acrylictrans...png

And this, They be standing on these things! Video of them jumping on them!!!

s-l1600.jpg

So you can now see the shape, not sure what material the black ones are, but that frosted set, you will not melt with a basking light.

Even better they work for Aboreal and Terrestrial species! Babies for chams and geckos, and whatever else, cut a screen hole with a knife, a razer blade, whatever its easy material to cut (Just like our other bins) pop on a screen top, or dont (depending on species), drill holes into the door for venting if Silicon will stick, you can use the piece you cutout to make a substrate dam, or make that seperate at 4 dollars each! You really cant go wrong. I am going to pick some up, later this week and see what I can do with these, they are 15 each on amazon though. So if it works out, china got me on the bulk! STRONG magnetic doors the reviews say, so no cham is pushing out, add a latch easy though. I cant imagine having to feed 50 babies and unlacth and relacth every cage anyway, that would be a pain, Magnets are the way to go IMO. (as long as they are strong enough)

They are almost the size of a 10 gallon tank too, so will work for QT for smaller chams, or Leaf Tail geckos. These are FIRE!

Ya, I think I found my answer...

Check this out!

View attachment 264686

And this, They be standing on these things! Video of them jumping on them!!!

s-l1600.jpg

So you can now see the shape, not sure what material the black ones are, but that frosted set, you will not melt with a basking light.

Even better they work for Aboreal and Terrestrial species! Babies for chams and geckos, and whatever else, cut a screen hole with a knife, a razer blade, whatever its easy material to cut (Just like our other bins) pop on a screen top, or dont (depending on species), drill holes into the door for venting if Silicon will stick, you can use the piece you cutout to make a substrate dam, or make that seperate at 4 dollars each! You really cant go wrong. I am going to pick some up, later this week and see what I can do with these, they are 15 each on amazon though. So if it works out, china got me on the bulk! STRONG magnetic doors the reviews say, so no cham is pushing out, add a latch easy though. I cant imagine having to feed 50 babies and unlacth and relacth every cage anyway, that would be a pain, Magnets are the way to go IMO. (as long as they are strong enough)

They are almost the size of a 10 gallon tank too, so will work for QT for smaller chams, or Leaf Tail geckos. These are FIRE!

This seems like a very cool find cyber, following along on this. If they work well for you, I may give them a try for some future projects.

So another hurdle, I am having now.

Exoterra said they will not sell to me. Unless I have a commercial space, and retailers are saying they will not be able to accommodate an order of 45 tanks. Kind of amazed, that no one wants to seem to want to move product.... One place will sell me 45, but they are in Cali and are refusing to ship them to me. So rock and a hard spot.

A large margin of Exoterra retailers, carry 1 or 2 tanks a time. I am trying to buy 45.... Are they stuck on stupid? Like in what world would a business not allow someone to spend a crap ton of money on their product lololol?

So the day after I was speaking to you on this thread I went by a local pet store. The owner and I have a good rapport and he offered to order cages for me at cost with the stores orders. Don't know if something like that is worth looking into with your local pet stores.

Aside from that, you might have better luck just building a giant frame out of wood or aluminum screen frame that will be the dimensions of one shelf. Drill some plexiglass onto the sides and screen he top/bottom. Use some sort of barrier between each portion of the "box" with sealed plywood or similar. Then just make the doors how you please and hinge them at each of the barriers. Sounds cost efficient for what you want. Don't know if you've already figured out your solution.

Here's an old thread to give you an idea:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/baby-raiser.108277/

...and I have a 20% discount code lololol.

You should definitely share this coupon code with us, unless it's a one time code lol

So the day after I was speaking to you on this thread I went by a local pet store. The owner and I have a good rapport and he offered to order cages for me at cost with the stores orders. Don't know if something like that is worth looking into with your local pet stores.

Aside from that, you might have better luck just building a giant frame out of wood or aluminum screen frame that will be the dimensions of one shelf. Drill some plexiglass onto the sides and screen he top/bottom. Use some sort of barrier between each portion of the "box" with sealed plywood or similar. Then just make the doors how you please and hinge them at each of the barriers. Sounds cost efficient for what you want. Don't know if you've already figured out your solution.

Here's an old thread to give you an idea:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/baby-raiser.108277/

You should definitely share this coupon code with us, unless it's a one time code lol

Its the 1 time code. They send it to you if you don't place an order with them in 6 months.

Here is what I came up with as the cages I wanted are not available, something about a pandemic. These are too small for most species but it will hold my guys in pairs for the first month and individually until maybe 4 months when they get moved into screen cages. They are screened on the front and top. The back is covered so they can't really see each other. Each one has two four inch pots that also serve as the feet to save space in the interior. My shelving is 18x48 and I have a 48" dual fixture with T5 UVB and 6500K for the plants it's providing plenty of heat for my Jackson's in fact I'm using a small fan to move off the excess. I put a valve in the line of my misting system to reduce the pressure and am using it to provide drip irrigation. I hand mist twice daily but the dripper works as a backup.
IMG_1799.JPG IMG_1817.JPG IMG_1818.JPG

Here is what I came up with as the cages I wanted are not available, something about a pandemic. These are too small for most species but it will hold my guys in pairs for the first month and individually until maybe 4 months when they get moved into screen cages. They are screened on the front and top. The back is covered so they can't really see each other. Each one has two four inch pots that also serve as the feet to save space in the interior. My shelving is 18x48 and I have a 48" dual fixture with T5 UVB and 6500K for the plants it's providing plenty of heat for my Jackson's in fact I'm using a small fan to move off the excess. I put a valve in the line of my misting system to reduce the pressure and am using it to provide drip irrigation. I hand mist twice daily but the dripper works as a backup.
View attachment 266856View attachment 266857View attachment 266858

Very nice :).

Back
Top Bottom