Show me your feeding cups/containers

Big Gulp

Established Member
So I see people who cut out milk cartons and Sunny D containers. Just looking for different ideas on how to go about this. What do you use as a floor? What do you use for the insect to climb around on?

Any advice would be great. ;)

I just use a plastic "cup" that I found at Walmart. (I'm on my phone so pictures are difficult for me to get). It is flat on opposite sides and rounded on the other two sides. It is about 4" tall. The bottom part is about 3" and it tapers to the top so that the round opening is 2" in diameter. I put a rubber band around the top portion (it had a screw on lid but I don't use this) and then twisty tied it to the side of my cage.

As for the container I keep my crickets in. I don't have any "bedding" I let them crawl around the bottom and keep cardboard egg crates in it.

Anybody else??

Really wondering what's the best surface to use for the insects to climb up. Screen perhaps? If so, do you just hot glue it in?

Anybody else??

Really wondering what's the best surface to use for the insects to climb up. Screen perhaps? If so, do you just hot glue it in?

Big gulp,

That's what I use to do, hot glue screen on two sides of a milk carton. They were far enough away from the sides so the crickets ould not reach, and the bottom had tiny holes drilled so water did not build up. No pictures but if you want I can probably find the video I used before.

i use a shampoo bottle container for the corner of a bath tub enclosure. it's deep and the corner shape is convenient to me. out has holes in it but i just covered them with clear packing tape. i then screwed it to a branch that i stick into a plant at the bottom. I've also mounted it by screwing it to a board then screwing the screen wall between that board and a board outside the enclosure.

Anybody else??

Some folks use screen, some folks use a stick. Any container that you can wash and still have it hold up is good provided it doesn't create a sharp edge if you cut it to provide access for the cham.

Here are a couple of pictures of the feeder cup I created. I used a Mountain Dew bottle because I wanted it to be green in color so it would blend in with my enclosure. I cut out a side and covered the edges with Scotch tape in order to prevent my little buddy from nicking his tongue on any sharp edges. I also punctured small holes in the bottom of the cup to allow for water drainage. That way I don't have to worry about drowning his feeders during misting sessions.

Next, I used hot glue to secure a mesh along the back of the cup in order to give his feeders something to climb up on. As a a final touch I hot glued fake leaves to the sides of the cup. Again this just helps with camouflaging his feeder cup in with the rest of his enclosure. Charmander took to his feeder cup the first day he came home. I hope my little descriptions and pics help you out! :D

Attachments

• DSC_7292.jpg
    DSC_7292.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 286
  • DSC_7291.jpg
    DSC_7291.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 241
Here are a couple of pictures of the feeder cup I created. I used a Mountain Dew bottle because I wanted it to be green in color so it would blend in with my enclosure. I cut out a side and covered the edges with Scotch tape in order to prevent my little buddy from nicking his tongue on any sharp edges. I also punctured small holes in the bottom of the cup to allow for water drainage. That way I don't have to worry about drowning his feeders during misting sessions.

Next, I used hot glue to secure a mesh along the back of the cup in order to give his feeders something to climb up on. As a a final touch I hot glued fake leaves to the sides of the cup. Again this just helps with camouflaging his feeder cup in with the rest of his enclosure. Charmander took to his feeder cup the first day he came home. I hope my little descriptions and pics help you out! :D

I LOVE this! I do not cup feed, but if I did, I'd most definitely do it like you. Great idea!

Last edited:
I LOVE this! I do not up feed, bit of I did, I'd most definitely so it like you. Great idea!

Thanks! :) I really prefer to free range his food; however, I have to leave for work at 5:00 AM and Charmander's lights don't come on until 8:00 AM. I don't want to leave feeders loose in his enclosure for several hours with the lights off. So cup feeding was my only option. I try to do free ranging on the weekends when I can put his feeders in after lights on. That way he still gets to do a little hunting every now and again.

Thanks! :) I really prefer to free range his food; however, I have to leave for work at 5:00 AM and Charmander's lights don't come on until 8:00 AM. I don't want to leave feeders loose in his enclosure for several hours with the lights off. So cup feeding was my only option. I try to do free ranging on the weekends when I can put his feeders in after lights on. That way he still gets to do a little hunting every now and again.

Wow maven! I'm surprised you could even decipher my comment lol I forgot to proof read. HAHA

I can totally understand that. I'm not anti- cup feed or anything. I think I'm going to make one anyway haha I love "labor of love" projects. Plus- this could definitely come in handy if I have to leave early for any reason, or for the occasional worm treat! I just love love love this :D Definitely showing this to my friend on here! She's getting a baby veiled soon and is planning on cup feeding! I wish I could just tag her in this! I'll shoot her a text and tell her to check it out! She's a big Mountain Dew fan so she will love it even more! You mind if I post this picture on my chameleons instagram? This needs shared with the world!

Wow maven! I'm surprised you could even decipher my comment lol I forgot to proof read. HAHA

I can totally understand that. I'm not anti- cup feed or anything. I think I'm going to make one anyway haha I love "labor of love" projects. Plus- this could definitely come in handy if I have to leave early for any reason, or for the occasional worm treat! I just love love love this :D Definitely showing this to my friend on here! She's getting a baby veiled soon and is planning on cup feeding! I wish I could just tag her in this! I'll shoot her a text and tell her to check it out! She's a big Mountain Dew fan so she will love it even more! You mind if I post this picture on my chameleons instagram? This needs shared with the world!

Feel free to use my photos! I gotta give credit where credit is due though. I constructed my feeder cup using varying ideas from all the the awesome guys and gals on this forum. This community has been instrumental in guiding me for proper care of my first chameleon. I love coming on here and reading everyone's ideas for inspiration!

Feel free to use my photos! I gotta give credit where credit is due though. I constructed my feeder cup using varying ideas from all the the awesome guys and gals on this forum. This community has been instrumental in guiding me for proper care of my first chameleon. I love coming on here and reading everyone's ideas for inspiration!

Right?! This site is A-mazing!

Here are a couple of pictures of the feeder cup I created. I used a Mountain Dew bottle [...]

When placing the crickets in there, I understand they can climb up the screen, but what prevents them from jumping out? Do you use the cup with other critters? How well does it work with them/are they able to climb up the screen much?

When placing the crickets in there, I understand they can climb up the screen, but what prevents them from jumping out? Do you use the cup with other critters? How well does it work with them/are they able to climb up the screen much?

The trick to this style of feeder cups is to make sure you give yourself plenty of edge space. I only place the mesh directly along the very back of the feeder cup. I make sure to leave enough edge space along the sides so a cricket can't climb out there (I've added a few extra pictures for reference). Additionally, I make sure to extend the top of the cup and the bottom of the cup. This helps prevent crickets from jumping out.

I make sure to extend the mesh to the very bottom of the cup in order to provide a way for the crickets to climb up. I usually place a few pieces of my gutload at the very bottom of the cup in case the feeders get hungry. This also provides them with less incentive to wonder out of the cup. I can't say that I've had zero escapees, but the the number that actually do make it out is few and far between. Since adjusting my design to include more edge space and a gutload at the bottom, I haven't had one escape from this particular design yet.

I've used this cup for feeding crickets, superworms, and silkworms. They all seem to climb up the mesh well. Though I prefer to usually free range my silkworms. I plan on trying some hornworms out shortly. I'm not sure how dubias would work in here though. My husband fears roaches so they aren't a feeder we keep in the rotation.

Just something to keep in mind for those considering this design. It took me a while to play with the dimensions before I got a style I preferred. I originally started out with a smaller size container when Charmander was younger and upgraded to this larger size bottler which I use now. I do recommend replacing the cup every few months as it does tend to get dirty even with me cleaning it nightly.

Attachments

• DSC_7294.jpg
    DSC_7294.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 202
  • DSC_7295.jpg
    DSC_7295.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 188
  • DSC_7297.jpg
    DSC_7297.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 277
  • DSC_7298.jpg
    DSC_7298.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 183
  • DSC_7300.jpg
    DSC_7300.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 194
My wife has told me that the dubia are not to be released into Chamele's cage. I have been cup feeding her while holding the cup most times. This forum has inspired me. I found an old green sports water bottle around the house and put it to good use. A few cuts, some hot glue to hold a piece of metal and plastic mesh in place and there you have it. A small magnet holds it in place thru the screen. Chamele loves it and went right to feeding!
Thanks for the inspiration!

Attachments

• 20140416_214841.jpg
    20140416_214841.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 235

You inspired me! Love your idea!! I did modify it a bit...turned it upside down and rubber banded (is that a word?) screen where the lid used.

Attachments

• feeder cup.jpg
    feeder cup.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 243

This is a great idea! My girlfriend found pictures of your feeder cup on instagram and inspired us to make our own :D We'll post pics as soon as it's completed.

You inspired me! Love your idea!! I did modify it a bit...turned it upside down and rubber banded (is that a word?) screen where the lid used.

I LOVE the leaves you used to decorate your cup. I think I will give that look a try next time I construct another cup! :)

Back
Top Bottom