Should we put our insects under UV light?

Wow, that is a great piece of information! It’s usually stated that their d3 is uv based, but it’s good to know that they are also used to getting it through their diet so the d3 supplementation is not completely unnatural.😊

I’ve done this before. The dubia would hide until it was turned off, the crickets would come out under it, and the mealworms were exposed too. Then I was reminded that UV destroys vitamins in food. So I just rely on the diet to increase vitamins now.

Attachments

• C5C803E4-A409-4242-99F0-A3737D772E3B.jpeg
    C5C803E4-A409-4242-99F0-A3737D772E3B.jpeg
    241.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 7B40DC79-B9DE-4047-8EA3-FD5E808080EC.jpeg
    7B40DC79-B9DE-4047-8EA3-FD5E808080EC.jpeg
    224.8 KB · Views: 80
I've heard that d3 isn't even what's toxic in most cases, it is the calcium paired with d3. Increased d3 can deposit excess calcium on organs. This was regarding people, but probably translatable to reptiles in this regard. Maybe in the wild they aren't getting as much calcium, but the increased d3 is making what they do get more useable?

No idea if that's even close to right, don't hold me to it lol.

The right amount of D3 results in the right amount of calcium being absorbed. Too much D3 (from supplements usually since the D3 produced from UVB light exposure is usually only enough) can allow build up if calcium where it shouldn't be. Too much D3 (from supplements again) without that sufficient amount of calcium is stored in the kidneys and can cause problems when overdone (like MBD). Also playing into the situation is the vitamin A since D3 and vitamin A are antagonistic to each other in some ways.

The right amount of D3 results in the right amount of calcium being absorbed. Too much D3 (from supplements usually since the D3 produced from UVB light exposure is usually only enough) can allow build up if calcium where it shouldn't be. Too much D3 (from supplements again) without that sufficient amount of calcium is stored in the kidneys and can cause problems when overdone (like MBD). Also playing into the situation is the vitamin A since D3 and vitamin A are antagonistic to each other in some ways.

Don't you mean liver? Lol otherwise, all makes sense to me

Buddy has an army of super beetles. The LOVE heat lights period. He recycles the metal halide (UVB) to bug duty at the end of the usable life span, bugs still like it.

Never seen a roach or grub like light however.

Buddy has an army of super beetles. The LOVE heat lights period. He recycles the metal halide (UVB) to bug duty at the end of the usable life span, bugs still like it.

Never seen a roach or grub like light however.

Some roaches come out during the day. Mine are trained to go nuts when I turn the flashlight on for feeding.

Are they escaping from the light or trying to stay moist?
Valid question. I keep them either in the substrate tey come in (which feels pretty dry) or oatmeal—also very dry. Either way, they stay burrowed as much as possible, and run if uncovered.

Back
Top Bottom