Should we cover her cage...again?

TwiceVeiled

Avid Member
Hello everyone! Our cham is showing what seems to be gravid coloration but she’s not digging yet. We have covered her cage a couple of times over the past few weeks to give her a chance to lay but she doesn’t seem interested - no digging at all. Should we wait until we see signs of her roaming and digging or should we cover her cage occasionally? We’re not even 100% sure she has eggs but we think so. Thanks for any input

D5E5340A-8B3A-4228-AF7E-C17DA69C58DD.jpeg

She’s also shedding so wondering if she’s just shooting different colours because of that too. Thanks in advance for any input:)

When I suspect one of my girls may be getting close to laying, I just cover half of the visible part of her enclosure, which is usually just the door. This way she gets some privacy and security and if she’s not where I can see her I can subtly peek if she’s in her bin.

When I suspect one of my girls may be getting close to laying, I just cover half of the visible part of her enclosure, which is usually just the door. This way she gets some privacy and security and if she’s not where I can see her I can subtly peek if she’s in her bin.
Thank you for the advice - I will try that. I haven’t seen any digging yet so I was wondering if I’m wrong about her being close to laying...but the coloration and her shape is what is making me think otherwise. Much appreciated :)

It’s often difficult to tell when exactly they may lay or not. Over the past year I must have covered up one of my girl’s doors halfway at least 3+ times, but she didn’t lay until recently.

Thanks so much:) It feels good to know it might not be that easy to figure out when they might lay. We’ll keep an eye on her and play it by ear:) Thank you!

Hello again! I am looking for your input again. Our Cham is still showing this coloration in her cage but when we are covering or partially covering her she doesn’t dig at all. We have a nice lay bin at the bottom but it’s not the same one she used the previous 2 times. Is it possible that:
1) She isn’t gravid
2) something is wrong
3) she doesn’t like her new lay bin and is going to wait for her old one to reappear before she lays
4) that even though she is gravid it may take a couple weeks or so before she wants to lay
5)?

Thanks if you have an idea. Below is a pic I took 5 min ago. She’s sitting on the branch she usually sleeps on.
CEF83BEF-A9CD-43E3-911A-AF2FAAEA99F7.jpeg

Last edited:
Having recently spent a long stressful week of waiting for one of my girls to get down to laying, out of desperation I put in her old lay bin and obviously that was what she was looking for. She had been digging in her small plant pots, tried her bioactive floor and was constantly roaming. I was and am still surprised at how very particular she is about her lay bin, but whatever works.

Hello again! I am looking for your input again. Our Cham is still showing this coloration in her cage but when we are covering or partially covering her she doesn’t dig at all. We have a nice lay bin at the bottom but it’s not the same one she used the previous 2 times. Is it possible that:
1) She isn’t gravid
2) something is wrong
3) she doesn’t like her new lay bin and is going to wait for her old one to reappear before she lays
4) that even though she is gravid it may take a couple weeks or so before she wants to lay
5)?

Thanks if you have an idea. Below is a pic I took 5 min ago. She’s sitting on the branch she usually sleeps on.
View attachment 323158
Every girl is different, because mine never showed any signs of digging (which was extremely stressful for us the first time) and then just one day she’s on it. But, it’s always in the morning and she stayed overnight in her hole. Her signs are always purely restlessness and more restlessness!
As said, you got beautiful girl 👌🏻

Having recently spent a long stressful week of waiting for one of my girls to get down to laying, out of desperation I put in her old lay bin and obviously that was what she was looking for. She had been digging in her small plant pots, tried her bioactive floor and was constantly roaming. I was and am still surprised at how very particular she is about her lay bin, but whatever works.
Thanks so much. Tomorrow I’m going to rearrange things for her,
give her the old lay bin and some privacy and maybe even a starter tunnel to give her some inspiration:) Isn’t that interesting that they would remember the particular bin that they know and like? Such fascinating little creatures!

I don't have any advice. Just wanted to say she is strikingly beautiful!
Thank you so much! I have thought so but I am extremely biased:) I love seeing pictures of everyone’s chams on here. It is actually one of my favourite things about the forum (and of course connecting with other cham lovers and exchanging thoughts, getting advice etc) Such beauty!

Every girl is different, because mine never showed any signs of digging (which was extremely stressful for us the first time) and then just one day she’s on it. But, it’s always in the morning and she stayed overnight in her hole. Her signs are always purely restlessness and more restlessness!
As said, you got beautiful girl 👌🏻
Thanks for mentioning that. The first time she laid eggs, she just started dropping them, then we realized and gave her privacy and she laid them. The second time she was roaming and restless and started to dig and so it was just a timing thing. This time she’s not very restless or digging but her colours are so different - they have never been so dark/contrasted like this. So I won’t freak out, give her back her old lay bin, and keep trying:) Thanks for the compliment on her beauty - Camilla thanks you:) Happy Easter!

You said..."The first time she laid eggs, she just started dropping them, then we realized and gave her privacy and she laid them...it's good that she laid them. How many did she lay and when?

You said..."The second time she was roaming and restless and started to dig and so it was just a timing thing"..when did she lay them and how many did she lay?.

You said..."This time she’s not very restless or digging but her colours are so different - they have never been so dark/contrasted like this. So I won’t freak out, give her back her old lay bin, and keep trying:)"... It's not good IMHO to change things when something works and especially not good to change them when they should be having peace to lay the eggs. Hope the old bin works.

You said..."The first time she laid eggs, she just started dropping them, then we realized and gave her privacy and she laid them...it's good that she laid them. How many did she lay and when?
You said..."The second time she was roaming and restless and started to dig and so it was just a timing thing"..when did she lay them and how many did she lay?.

You said..."This time she’s not very restless or digging but her colours are so different - they have never been so dark/contrasted like this. So I won’t freak out, give her back her old lay bin, and keep trying:)"... It's not good IMHO to change things when something works and especially not good to change them when they should be having peace to lay the eggs. Hope the old bin works.
Hello! Thanks for the post. The first time she laid eggs was Jan 2020 and had over 60 eggs, then with advice from the forums we made some changes in her husbandry and she laid another clutch in December 2020, this time less than 30. She has not laid since. A number of months ago I switched out her lay bin for aesthetic reasons but that’s certainly less important than her being comfortable laying eggs so tomorrow I’ll get her old lay bin ready:)

Good that you were able to cut the size of the clutch down so much...you likely saved her life.
It's possible that you've cut her down enough that she isn't producing eggs any more. Was she digging at all in the last few weeks?

She’s also been opting not to bask as much the past week or so and was just shedding recently, but eats and drinks well, with good white urates and her eyes look healthy too. So just trying to play detective about her behaviour and colour.

Back
Top Bottom