Should I worry about my cham never going under her uvb light?

HUBSonDUBS

Established Member
My female cham NEVER sits under her uvb light like my male, you can watch him regulate his basking light and then walk over to his uvb light and bask. With the female almost all day she sits under her basking light and then at night she goes in a tree and sleeps. Now her branch is 6 inchs away from the reptisun 5.0 but she never walks over to it.

Can you move the UVB so she gets the benefit of both at the same time? If it's a long tube there shouldn't be a problem.

Not that far but I turned the basking light off for a min to see how much of the uvb light she was getting and it was not much at all. The Uvb light is in the front of the cage and the basking is in the rear, its a small cage b/c shes only 3 1/2 months old so I cant really rearange the lighting.

Why not try running the uvb tube corner to corner diagonaly? Thats what I do and it works great. It will also cover a lot more area this way than just utilizing the front or back alone.

hmmm

I would say that all that talk about how they have to get within so many inches of the 5.0 bulb to reap the bennefits of UVB is borderline nonsense. Ive been keeping lizards of all types my whole life and have NEVER noticed any real indicators that the lizard must be within 6-12 inches of the bulb. I think its just paranoia. as long as you have a 5.0 bulb over her cage and it is apropriately sized (the cage) with a place to sit under it (I use it about 10-18inches above). I would think she is doin just fine.. however this is only my opinion from years of experience.
Good lizard keeping!
Lyneeso

I've noticed my cham goes under the tube now and then but not for no where near as long as the basking light. I think the UVB tube have much more range inside the enclosure. I'm quite sure mine does any way because it has a reflector on it aiming it all round the enclosure.

I turned the basking light off for a min to see how much of the uvb light she was getting and it was not much at all. The Uvb light is in the front of the cage and the basking is in the rear,

Thats only the visible light spectrum your seeing, its uvb/uva spectrum should extend atleast 12" from the bulb (assuming its not more than 6 months old and no glass is between) If she can get within 12" of the uv while basking shell be fine. Do you best to get it as close to the heat bulb as possible. :)

The reptile should be neither too close or too far. 6-10inches is typically good distance.

I would say that all that talk about how they have to get within so many inches of the 5.0 bulb to reap the bennefits of UVB is borderline nonsense. [...]Lyneeso

you may want to check this website:http://www.uvguide.co.uk/fluorescenttuberesults.htm
and look at the charts showing output at different distances

Or use a UVB metre to see for yourself evidence that indeed the distance does matter.

Attachments

• tube.jpg
    tube.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 81
I would say that all that talk about how they have to get within so many inches of the 5.0 bulb to reap the bennefits of UVB is borderline nonsense. [...]Lyneeso

Why would you say that? Even with uv bulbs the uvb/uva wavelengths are still travelling through glass, irrespective of how its treated. You cant just re-create the sun in a bulb, there will be issues associated.

(I use it about 10-18inches above).

why?

Ive been keeping/breeding various species of lizards (many of them desert dwelling agamidae)for 20 + yrs myself, personally Ive nevered bothered with artificial uv sources, excepting for hatchlings-6months, I prefer to provide natural sunlight.
This said, some species require higher more constant levels of uv radiation than others.
For example I found using using artificial Uv sources within 6-12 inches of hatchlings-6 month animals, significantly boosted their eating and activity, as opposed to none (years ago there wernt any) or uv used without concern for proximity. (early trials).

Ive been keeping lizards of all types my whole life and have NEVER noticed any real indicators that the lizard must be within 6-12 inches of the bulb.

So you've never seen/had a lizard develope MBD, and you've used artificial Uv 'your whole life', at 10-18 inches above yes? or you simply
have NEVER noticed
?

Do you want to share your experience with artificial Uv sources specifically or simply tell us your an 'expert' and dont agree? :)

If research shows a given bulb requires to be within a given proximity, and the bulbs manufactures themselves reccomend it, why would you consider it nonsense? why would use artificial uv at all?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom