Should I spray or feed my Veiled Chameloen frist?

I personally spray first but it does not really matter unless you soak the enclosure top to bottom enough to wash the calcium off the crickets or whatever else. I would not really worry about it.

My lights go on about 7 am I let my boy get warmed up for about an hour then I spray top to bottom then put his food in as not to was off any dusting I have done to his food

For me, food goes in around 6AM [because I leave for work at 7AM], lights go on at 8AM, first misting starts at 10AM. But the misting from the home made rain dome does not seem to wash of the dusting while in the food dish [I inspect the feeders on days that I'm home], probably due to it's height. My male Panther seems to be growing and healthy.

I think I might start spraying first but the thing is I don't just put the food in his cage I don't like doing it because if some crickets don't get eaten I've herd they bite your chameleon, and I like to see how much hes eating you cant really do that if you just put them in (unless in a food bowl) but I use a bag to feed him.

Thanks guys but the thing is I dont chuck the food in or just put it in a bowl so it does not matter about the crickets dusting coming off. So do you think im fine of feeding him first then spraying him?

And I put the crickets and what ever im dusting the crickets in a bag and give it a shake then hand feeding thats what i do to feed him.

I like to see how much hes eating you cant really do that if you just put them in (unless in a food bowl)

You could count them before you put them in the cage, then look around in the cage later in the day and count how many is left. Easy to do and you know how many are getting eaten....

A cup seems easier to use than a bag, and may may use less supplement. In a cup, it only takes a little to coat the feeders, and you just have to swirl the the cup a few times.

You could count them before you put them in the cage, then look around in the cage later in the day and count how many is left. Easy to do and you know how many are getting eaten....
Thanks but I like doing it in a bag as crickets go too the back of my cage and get stuck and die so it's a waste of I do that.

Thanks guys but the thing is I dont chuck the food in or just put it in a bowl so it does not matter about the crickets dusting coming off. So do you think im fine of feeding him first then spraying him?

And I put the crickets and what ever im dusting the crickets in a bag and give it a shake then hand feeding thats what i do to feed him.

But back topic. Am I fine feeding him first then spraying him?
Yes. You must check his urates to determine if more misting is needed. You can read about urates in this thread:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/poop-101.120171/

As long as your cham stays hydrated and gets it's nutrients.
Thank you for sending me that very helpful. I think my veiled chameleon is okay on his urates. But im going to feed him then spray. Im going to spray him 3 times a day. Is that okay what i said?

I feed in the mornings before work when my chams are still in their PJ's so that's before misting.

If time allows I would mist first and then feed since after a nights sleep the cham's tongue can be a bit dry which makes it harder for him to catch the prey.
Misting also washes supplements from your feeders but that's easily solved by placing the feeder-cup on a dry spot.

I feed in the mornings before work when my chams are still in their PJ's so that's before misting.

If time allows I would mist first and then feed since after a nights sleep the cham's tongue can be a bit dry which makes it harder for him to catch the prey.
Misting also washes supplements from your feeders but that's easily solved by placing the feeder-cup on a dry spot.

So you would mist before feeding in the morning because the cham's tongue can get dry so when he drinks the water with his tongue, his tongue will be humid again making it more sticky and humid for the chameleons tongue. But you cant because of work and you recommend me to mist before feeding? Also I dont put the crickets in the cage so the crickets can just go where ever
they want and I also dont put the crickets in a feeder-cup and just leave it in the cage. I use a feeder cup/bag and just put the crickets in there and add the supplement.Then I give it a shake and hand feed it to him.

Just want to make it clear I do mean in the morning about the misting before feeding thing. Its just I dont
want people to think im talking about the afternoon feeding and misting.

Last edited:
So you would mist before feeding in the morning because the cham's tongue can get dry so when he drinks the water with his tongue, his tongue will be humid again making it more sticky and humid for the chameleons tongue. But you cant because of work and you recommend me to mist before feeding? Also I dont put the crickets in the cage so the crickets can just go where ever
they want and I also dont put the crickets in a feeder-cup and just leave it in the cage. I use a feeder cup/bag and just put the crickets in there and add the supplement.Then I give it a shake and hand feed it to him.

Just want to make it clear I do mean in the morning about the misting before feeding thing. Its just I dont
want people to think im talking about the afternoon feeding and misting.
If you handfeed him you don't have to 'worry' about supplements washing off and if he takes the prey well enough before misting that's just fine too.

it's not that big of a deal, but i did notice my jax having a bit more difficulty getting prey to stick when feeding early morning before misting.

If you handfeed him you don't have to 'worry' about supplements washing off and if he takes the prey well enough before misting that's just fine too.

it's not that big of a deal, but i did notice my jax having a bit more difficulty getting prey to stick when feeding early morning before misting.
Okay thank you, my chameleon eats like a beast in the mornings. But im now going to do it like how pretty much how everyone else does it. Im going to spray him first then feed him. Thanks everyone who helped me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom