should I redo enclosure (important decision) please read

jackthejellydragon

Avid Member
So I am making a tough decision. I am thinking about redoing my males enclosure. He has been in my care for about 4 1/2 and is only about 7 months old. He knows his enclosure well and got used to it pretty quickly. I would like to redo it but I hesitate because I have had good times watching him grow in his enclosure and he is used to it. But If it makes his future better and makes him happy I am happy and I will do it. I actually really want to but it might mess him up so I asked you guys to help me make my decision. One of the issues is where do I put him while I am redoing his enclosure. redoing it would not affect me the work is not the issue its what is best for him. It may be easier to restart than to add more because 1 its not as good and 2 it wouldn't cause the stress on him.I do not have a free range so that is not an option. I would like to do pitcher plants specifically (nepenthes alata) and an umbrella plant. If you guys know how to take care of them I need the info. Again this an important decision and I would like you guys to let me know if it would effect him in bad ways or if you were me you would redo it. I will have pictures below but they make the enclosure look better than it is.

IMG-3575.jpg
IMG-3578.jpg
IMG-3566.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe instead of redoing the whole thing just add some more branches?
By the way, the stripes on his tail are so thick! I've never seen a cham with them like that ?

Yes! I put my chams on a decently sized schefflera in the house and within view while I redid their enclosures. You could also get a mesh laundry hamper to use as a temporary enclosure while redoing. You need to put your dragon ledges to better use. You can use them to hang some vining plants as well as support lots of branches and vines. They hold a lot of weight! Check this out for how to better utilize them.
https://dragonstrand.com/getting-the-most-from-your-dragon-strand-dragon-ledges/

Yes! I put my chams on a decently sized schefflera in the house and within view while I redid their enclosures. You could also get a mesh laundry hamper to use as a temporary enclosure while redoing. You need to put your dragon ledges to better use. You can use them to hang some vining plants as well as support lots of branches and vines. They hold a lot of weight! Check this out for how to better utilize them.
https://dragonstrand.com/getting-the-most-from-your-dragon-strand-dragon-ledges/
I have been reading those while trying to make my decision which is one of the reasons I wanted to redo it because I did not use them well.

thanks for info I have lots of zipties but I will get more. Do you have any info pitcher plants. Do umbrella plants need lots of light.

Last edited:
thanks for info I have lots of zipties but I will get more. Do you have any info pitcher plants. Do umbrella plants need lots of light.
I’m by no means well versed in plants, but I think all carnivorous plants need a nutrient poor soil and like to sit in distilled water. I have a soil gnat problem so have bought lots of carnivorous plants and keep them outside of my cham enclosures.
I also think you’ll need some sort of plant light for an umbrella tree. If I’m wrong, hopefully someone will correct me.

Back
Top Bottom