Should I put the fake vines back in?

Troubledluna80

Established Member
I added more branches because my Chamaeleon, Cricket, grew and she looked uncomfortable on the stick she sits to bask. Originally I had some fake vines in this cage because all of my Vining plants are pretty new. They’ve started to take off but there still is not a lot of vines to climb. I have two pathos, 2 bromeliads, money tree and 2 ground plants on the bottom. I am attempting to have a bio active enclosure and have springtails and isopods. I would rather not add the fake vines back in but I wanted your opinion to see if this was enough vines for her to climb on until the plants grow. I am adding one more plant to the back right corner that’s a wandering Jew. I feel bad calling it that bc it doesn’t seem nice I don’t know any other name to qualify. I’m going to attach pictures I just wanted to see what everyone thought. Had a lot of really great suggestions from this forum and I really appreciate you guys helping me it is my first chameleon she’s a panther chameleon and approximately six months old. I wanted the bottom to be bio active so that she could come down and lay eggs whenever she needed to. I did get substrate from the biodude and all the “dirt” and here is terra firma, even in the mounted plants. I didn’t wanna run the risk of it collapsing if she chose to dig in one of the mounded plants. I always check to see if I can make a tunnel to make sure it’s the right moisture level. I included a picture of cricket. I had put her in a potted plant on the table why I worked and she climbed the curtain. She looked like she was safe and I didn’t want to keep touching her since I rarely handle her so I just left her there until I was done. Thanks so much!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 155
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 144
I would not add the fake vines.
Okay thanks. I would rather not have them in there I just wanted to make sure she would have plenty of things to climb with different diameters. The plateaus is growing really fast it’s only been in there a month and a half and they started off really short. Thanks!

Okay thanks. I would rather not have them in there I just wanted to make sure she would have plenty of things to climb with different diameters. The plateaus is growing really fast it’s only been in there a month and a half and they started off really short. Thanks!
Do you still have the skinny branches? I would add those back in so that there's a lot of different diameters of branches in there.
It looks really good as is also.

Do you still have the skinny branches? I would add those back in so that there's a lot of different diameters of branches in there.
It looks really good as is also.
Yes the only skinny branch I took out was the one on top because it broke. There’s four skinny branches going across the back and the middle. I will add another skinner one of top too so there’s different sizes where she hangs out the most.

What's the substrate at the bottom of the cage?
It’s terra firma from the biodude. I used copied his video on how to set up a bioactive set up for chameleon. I also followed someone suggestion and added a fan to the top to ensure that the airflow was still good sense the bag of dirt was blocking some of the screen on the bottom

I also followed someone suggestion and added a fan to the top to ensure that the airflow was still good sense the bag of dirt was blocking some of the screen on the bottom
In time you may find the fan unnecessary; it really doesn't take much of an opening at the bottom to generate a chimney effect. Sometimes (not necessarily in this particular case) a fan can create more of a wind tunnel than natural ventilation.

It'll likely come down to what happens with temperatures & humidity. ;)

In time you may find the fan unnecessary; it really doesn't take much of an opening at the bottom to generate a chimney effect. Sometimes (not necessarily in this particular case) a fan can create more of a wind tunnel than natural ventilation.

It'll likely come down to what happens with temperatures & humidity. ;)
The fan can be switch to blow in or suck out. So far I have found I cannot leave it on all the time otherwise the humidity decreases so I turn it off at night when I’m supposed to have a increase in humidity. But during the day when I do have it on should it push air in or take it out? It is placed on the top of the cage. Thanks

The fan can be switch to blow in or suck out. So far I have found I cannot leave it on all the time otherwise the humidity decreases so I turn it off at night when I’m supposed to have a increase in humidity. But during the day when I do have it on should it push air in or take it out? It is placed on the top of the cage. Thanks
TBH, I wouldn't bother with a fan at all; I'd rely on the natural chimney effect.
Theoretically, it should draw the air through the enclosure. You may still find this too much—it depends on the fan (how many cf/m it moves).

Back
Top Bottom