Should I get a chameleon?

sowa

I've been thinking of getting one but I'd like to be sure.

I've been reading they're not meant to be handled. The ones at the pet store seem to not mind crawling on you. If you react in their cage they will come to your hand and crawl up your arm if you let them.

I would be keeping it in a basement. It can get cold, and the winter is pretty dry.

Any info would be appreciated. I've been reading about them and since I've seen they're not so friendly I'm not as sure I want one. I was hoping I'd be able to have it crawl on my hand and stuff.

It's not that they aren't friendly, it's that they get stressed easily. If you hand feed them they associate you with feeding time. And slowly tolerate you. Eventually you can handle them from time to time but not for hours. I also have my chameleon in the basement. I live in New Jersey and trust me winters are cold. If you want to keep humidity up just buy a cool most ultrasonic humidifier from best buy or a drug store. Also buy live plants for the cage. This will help with humidity. You will need to most the cage through the day or buy a misting system. This will help with dry issues.

You can find lots of info in the chameleon care resources. Look in the website top bar for "Resources". I may just note that chameleons are for the dedicated keeper and should not be kept by people who don't care for them well and just think they're "cool". I'm not trying to discourage you from getting a chameleon, just remember that u have to be dedicated to the cham.

Chameleons are "look, don't touch" pets. If you manage to tame one, or happen to get a friendly one, that's merely a plus.

Chams are also fairly delicate & can contract infections (sometimes due to excessive stress or inadequate husbandry) and at times can contract parasites via food sources. They are a specialty pet. A good analogy I heard (or read...can't recall) was to view them almost as having a saltwater aquarium. As PattyCake said, they require dedication. Be aware that you WILL be also caring for their food, whether it be crickets, dubia roaches, horn or silkworms (preferably a mix...although my cham can be quite picky). That means cleaning out their food sources enclosure (I have several, small plastic cricket enclosures) and providing them with fresh vegetables, fruit and water (there are blogs on this forum on what to feed or "gut load" your Cham's food sources with). Remember - you are what you eat and that applys to your Cham too! I suggest also locating a vet that specializes in exotics (that is familiar with Chams). It is always a good idea to have one on hand for regular fecal exams, wellness check ups and just in case something on the downside pops up. Money for an emergency vet visit (just in case), a mist system, and a screen enclosure is pretty crucial. It saddens me to see individuals on this forum seeking emergency help after an impulse buy and both the owner and pet suffering. It equates to buy first ask questions later. That being said I applaud you for seeking information and advise before you buy :eek: This will ensure a positive experience for both you and your pet. While Cham's are a high maintenance animal, they are truly worth every second if you have the time & resources. I love my guy to pieces & wouldn't change a thing...even if I'm his favorite toilet! Best of luck & wishes to you!

All my chameleons are sweet and friendly. I think it all depends on how you keep them. If you have to keep him in a cold dry basement then I'd say a chameleon is not for you.

I'm used to cleaning out terrariums and reptile cages. I don't think that will be a problem. As well has dealing with crickets/worms.

I was told if I have a proper set up and adjust the the heating/spraying as necessary it will be fine. I just need to keep an eye on it. It's actually pretty humid in the summer.

I've also decided to start out with a large set up for him. I'm not sure where to find one that will suit an adult cham, so until I can at least figure that out, I won't be getting one. I've been told I should build one, but I really don't know much about building it. I have an idea what to put in it, however.

Where do you all get your cage/setups? If you made them, do you have any sites to help with that?

If you need to buy everything for your new chameleon, and the chameleon too, you can plan on $500.00+ in your initial investment. And most of the chameleon keepers here will tell you that $500.00 is JUST the beginning...

Are you sure you want to do this?

Bearded Dragons are able to be handled, readily available, and are a better option for a pet lizard.

Chameleons aren't really "pets," they are quite demanding of your time, money, and tend to require medical costs for eye problems, infections, and eating and drinking issues.

The coolness of a chameleon will fade quickly if you don't have the money and desire to continuously learn in this hobby.:eek:

Best of luck to you, whichever way you go.

I'm used to cleaning out terrariums and reptile cages. I don't think that will be a problem. As well has dealing with crickets/worms.

I was told if I have a proper set up and adjust the the heating/spraying as necessary it will be fine. I just need to keep an eye on it. It's actually pretty humid in the summer.

I've also decided to start out with a large set up for him. I'm not sure where to find one that will suit an adult cham, so until I can at least figure that out, I won't be getting one. I've been told I should build one, but I really don't know much about building it. I have an idea what to put in it, however.

Where do you all get your cage/setups? If you made them, do you have any sites to help with that?

Be prepared to deal with a bunch of different feeders, and to feed the feeders better than you feed yourself. In short, you will need: crickets, roaches, silkworms, super worms, hornworms, phoenix worms, and the occasional bounty of safe wild-caught prey.

LLL Reptile has screen enclosures of various sizes & will ship to you. They are one of the sponsors on this site. As for a mist system, I have a "Monsoon" which I am not too pleased with; I'd reccomend a "Mistking" instead. Nick is right, you'll be spending at least $500 (Cham, enclosure, mist system, basking light, digital timer, UVB bulb and ballast, and preferably a safe live plant such a a ficus and or umbrella tree) If you search the forum are several safe plant lists provided. I'm sorry I can't post the links for you. I'm super sick right now & am not running on all cylinders. Also supplements are crucial. The Chaneleon Care blog is a great place to begin! If you got the time, money and heart for these beautiful creatures then I'd do the research and then decide. They are truly amazing animals andin my opinion worth the stress!

I'd personally go with the aluminum screen enclosures also on their website. Apparently crickets can chew right through the reptarium's screen.

Thanks. Would 24 x 24 x 48 inch be large enough for a full grown cham?

yep

most people will tell you 24 x 24 x 48 is the ideal size for an adult. If you are going to house a baby in that, you may have better success cup feeding, as they can have issues with hunting food in such a large area.
All depends on your cham in the end though 8)

good luck PLEASE READ !

So I just had to post this to let you know about my Cham and what I have been through in the last 4 months haha. I have had my Panther Cham now for about 4 months he is about 6 months old now. He is growing like a weed ! I dont handle him to much only because i dont wanna stress him out. I do hand feed him every now and then. I have him in a 18x18x36 cage. Now time for the money part of it......... this may take a while haha. The cage was 80 dollars and all the " Fake plants i have in there added up to about 40 total " Ill explain the fake plants later on in this message. I have a mist king mister which I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND ! That was 150. And the 18 inch UVB bulb and basking light and housing for the bulbs came out to around 60 or 70 give or take. I havent even mentioned how much my Panther was yet.... He was 275 plus shipping so a little over 300.... Now the fun part crickets depending where you buy them from are cheap. Keeping them alive is another story. I buy 200 at a times. feed them fresh bag lettuce mix about every week also cricket feed and cricket quencher. In a month time crickets and cricket food and cricket water will add up to around 40 or maybe a little less. Now horn worms and super worms and silk worms they get expensive ive seen them go for a 1.00 a worm haha. I have a hook up so I get 15 for 10.00 every two weeks. Now I buy both horn worm and silk worm so that about 30 a month.... Now to get into the calcium and multi vitamin and calcuim with d3 they are expensive as is you looking at anywhere from 5 - 10 bucks a container but that will last a while! You have to make sure you follow the guidelines on when to give them what when they need it every month which can be a hassle. but you get used to it quick. Now why I only use fake plants..... When I first got my little cham I had him for 2 months. No problems at all. I also had fake plant during the two months....I but a live plant in there and my cham stated getting sick fist he had an upper respiratory infection then he got mouth rot. for the 2 months the REAL plants were in his cage. I took them out and he is now better and eating and looking good. So i only use fake plants.... Now you looking at buying medication haha and vet bills. So now you looking in to a lot of money and time syringe feeding your cham. All in all for the 4 or 5 months I have had him I have gone over 1500 easily and its still growing.......with food that is haha and new bulbs when i need them...... So all in all you need lots of time patience and care for these amazing little guys ! are you sure you have that time and money ?!?!?!

I hope this helped i know it was a little book but still it helps

So I just had to post this to let you know about my Cham and what I have been through in the last 4 months haha. I have had my Panther Cham now for about 4 months he is about 6 months old now. He is growing like a weed ! I dont handle him to much only because i dont wanna stress him out. I do hand feed him every now and then. I have him in a 18x18x36 cage. Now time for the money part of it......... this may take a while haha. The cage was 80 dollars and all the " Fake plants i have in there added up to about 40 total " Ill explain the fake plants later on in this message. I have a mist king mister which I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND ! That was 150. And the 18 inch UVB bulb and basking light and housing for the bulbs came out to around 60 or 70 give or take. I havent even mentioned how much my Panther was yet.... He was 275 plus shipping so a little over 300.... Now the fun part crickets depending where you buy them from are cheap. Keeping them alive is another story. I buy 200 at a times. feed them fresh bag lettuce mix about every week also cricket feed and cricket quencher. In a month time crickets and cricket food and cricket water will add up to around 40 or maybe a little less. Now horn worms and super worms and silk worms they get expensive ive seen them go for a 1.00 a worm haha. I have a hook up so I get 15 for 10.00 every two weeks. Now I buy both horn worm and silk worm so that about 30 a month.... Now to get into the calcium and multi vitamin and calcuim with d3 they are expensive as is you looking at anywhere from 5 - 10 bucks a container but that will last a while! You have to make sure you follow the guidelines on when to give them what when they need it every month which can be a hassle. but you get used to it quick. Now why I only use fake plants..... When I first got my little cham I had him for 2 months. No problems at all. I also had fake plant during the two months....I but a live plant in there and my cham stated getting sick fist he had an upper respiratory infection then he got mouth rot. for the 2 months the REAL plants were in his cage. I took them out and he is now better and eating and looking good. So i only use fake plants.... Now you looking at buying medication haha and vet bills. So now you looking in to a lot of money and time syringe feeding your cham. All in all for the 4 or 5 months I have had him I have gone over 1500 easily and its still growing.......with food that is haha and new bulbs when i need them...... So all in all you need lots of time patience and care for these amazing little guys ! are you sure you have that time and money ?!?!?!

I hope this helped i know it was a little book but still it helps

I understand pets can be expensive. I have gone through a lot with my dogs and cats. I wouldn't give up having them for anything.

Again, I get everything a lot cheaper cause I work at a pet store. We almost always have crickets in so it wouldn't be a problem to get them in smaller amounts at a time since I can just grab them after work.

I'm more so looking for people to give advice on caring for it, and what I need for it since a lot of people already mentioned they're not cheap.

Back
Top Bottom