Should I dust my veild chameleons Fruits and Vegetables before feeding to him

Should I dust my veild chameleons Fruits and Vegetables before feeding to him, and when should I feed him Fruits and Vegetables? Also I heard that Fruits are bad for them, is this correct and should I feed fruits to him?

CF,

Welcome to the forums. Have you tried fruits and veggies with your veiled before? To answer your question, you can dust your F&V's if nothing else is being offered that day. I don't due to my dusting schedule with my feeder insects that are being offered. Ideally, you should offer all items in the am, so that your guy/gal has time to properly digest them by nightfall. Fruits in small quantities can be very beneficial to your veiled if he/she will try them. I feed bits of strawberry when in season, but usually just gutload my feeders with what will be beneficial to Lucky (my veiled). Here's a link that will give you some guidelines on what to try.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/food/

Suggested Ingredients

Best - These gutloading ingredients are best because they are highest in calcium, low in phosphorus, oxalates and goitrogens. They should be the primary components of your gutload: mustard greens, turnip greens, dandelion leaves, collard greens, escarole lettuce, papaya, watercress and alfalfa.

Good - These gutloading ingredients are good because they are moderately high in calcium and other vitamins/minerals. They should be used in addition to those from the previous category: sweet potato, carrots, oranges, mango, butternut squash, kale, apples, beet greens, blackberries, bok choy and green beans.

Avoid These Ingredients

Avoid these gutloading ingredients because they are low in calcium, high in phosphorus, goitrogens or oxalates: potatoes, cabbage, iceberg lettuce, romaine lettuce, spinach, broccoli, tomatoes, corn, grains, beans, oats, bread, cereal, meat, eggs, dog food, cat food, fish food, canned or dead insects, vertebrates.

There's actually no proof that feeding fruits to chameleons is in any way beneficial. Aside from hydration, which would be better gotten from vegetables, fruits contain sugars that chameleon systems are in no way set up to process. Excess fruit in a chameleon's diet is more damaging than beneficial. I offer my veileds kale and other greens in supplement to a dripping system. I have sprinkled some calcium powder on them before as well on days when it coincided with the feeders. I speak from 15 years of experience.

CF,

Welcome to the forums. Have you tried fruits and veggies with your veiled before? To answer your question, you can dust your F&V's if nothing else is being offered that day. I don't due to my dusting schedule with my feeder insects that are being offered. Ideally, you should offer all items in the am, so that your guy/gal has time to properly digest them by nightfall. Fruits in small quantities can be very beneficial to your veiled if he/she will try them. I feed bits of strawberry when in season, but usually just gutload my feeders with what will be beneficial to Lucky (my veiled). Here's a link that will give you some guidelines on what to try.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/food/

Suggested Ingredients

Best - These gutloading ingredients are best because they are highest in calcium, low in phosphorus, oxalates and goitrogens. They should be the primary components of your gutload: mustard greens, turnip greens, dandelion leaves, collard greens, escarole lettuce, papaya, watercress and alfalfa.

Good - These gutloading ingredients are good because they are moderately high in calcium and other vitamins/minerals. They should be used in addition to those from the previous category: sweet potato, carrots, oranges, mango, butternut squash, kale, apples, beet greens, blackberries, bok choy and green beans.

Avoid These Ingredients

Avoid these gutloading ingredients because they are low in calcium, high in phosphorus, goitrogens or oxalates: potatoes, cabbage, iceberg lettuce, romaine lettuce, spinach, broccoli, tomatoes, corn, grains, beans, oats, bread, cereal, meat, eggs, dog food, cat food, fish food, canned or dead insects, vertebrates.
I have fed banana and carrot to my male veiled chameleon before he seemed to like the banana but it was on a day where I feed him crickets and so put a bowl of greated carrot in his cage. I put some calcium powder on the greated carrot and I put some crickets on it. so when hes tongue catches the crickets he will catch some carrot with him as well. So I can feed f&vs everyday but on days where you dont feed crickets I should dust the f&vs. Is that right? Also on days when feeding mv and d3 should I dust the f&vs with that as well?

Back
Top Bottom