Should I be Worried??????

Fletcher1987

So this week I noticed two weird things about my chameleons.

Panther

He usually is one to come running and eating his crickets, once I place them in the red cup. Yesterday however I noticed a huge poop never before has he pooped that big. He also wasn't really going after his food. So I tossed the crickets inside his cage and let it be. He did eat some, for there werem't as many left when I returned. I figured it could be the UVB bulb that needed replacing, since I've had it for the past 5 months. I usually dust his crickets with D3 twice a month and minerals twice a month as well. They only eat crickets as well.

Veiled

My veiled chameleon although he isn't as nice as my Panther, would not usually bite or hiss as much as he has lately. Just yesterday he bit me as I was moving him to clean his cage. Not only that but the other day as I was holding him he turned complete black and started to rub his body back and forth with a very tight grip. At first I thought he was convulsing and couldn't get him to let go of my hand. It freaked the **** out of me. He has now done this twice. After these incidents he's aggressive and doesn't even want to come out whenever I try to handle him.

Anyhow they both look healthy and happy. Should I be worried?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Panther

He usually is one to come running and eating his crickets, once I place them in the red cup. Yesterday however I noticed a huge poop never before has he pooped that big. He also wasn't really going after his food. So I tossed the crickets inside his cage and let it be. He did eat some, for there werem't as many left when I returned. I figured it could be the UVB bulb that needed replacing, since I've had it for the past 5 months. I usually dust his crickets with D3 twice a month and minerals twice a month as well. They only eat crickets as well.

Does he get plain calcium (no added D3) daily? If not he should. The calcium with D3 and the herp multivitamin are given once every 2 weeks. As chams age their growth rate slows down and they don't eat as much or as often. If he's a bit dehydrated this can slow their GI tract down too, so he may poop less often. Also if he happened to drink more than usual over a couple of days it could affect his feces.

Veiled

My veiled chameleon although he isn't as nice as my Panther, would not usually bite or hiss as much as he has lately. Just yesterday he bit me as I was moving him to clean his cage. Not only that but the other day as I was holding him he turned complete black and started to rub his body back and forth with a very tight grip. At first I thought he was convulsing and couldn't get him to let go of my hand. It freaked the **** out of me. He has now done this twice. After these incidents he's aggressive and doesn't even want to come out whenever I try to handle him.

Sounds as if your veiled is feeling his hormones and is trying to intimidate you. How old is he?

Anyhow they both look healthy and happy. Should I be worried?

Carlton,

Yes he gets his vitamin D3 every two weeks and also his vitamin. Today as i got home he was very easy to handle didn't even try to rush back into his cage. So I called a vet and set up an appointment. Better safe than sorry. I noticed theres poop regular size in his cage, which wasn't there yesterday. My veiled is about 7 months old. Also the panther hasn't shed in a while actually and he loves water whenever i spray him he just sits there. Like i said before he's always happy to see his food as well as drinking his water and getting sprayed. He just isn't acting like himself.

Back
Top Bottom