Short time...

Rachgreens

So today my female veiled mated for the first time...
She is receptive, and at the right age...
they both seemed um into it? haha but once they were finally together he was only in for about 30 seconds
i was just wondering if you guys think this is enough time to fertilize any of the eggs or if it was a failed attempt...
i would have kept trying but the male started to get aggressive and she already had it rough...
thanks in advance

If she go aggressive and turned dark with green spots and yellow marks then he has done the deed lol. But usualy they mate for about 10 minutes each time

well she was sort of dark the entire time...but she does have the yellow spots which were more prominent afterwards, and he got aggresive so its sort of confusing haha

Ok thanks, yea i will once she recovers soon...
and my mistake..she still had the blue spots with like yellow paterns

look n my thread called'Shes gravid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):) and u will see my females gravid colouration but this was after mating her 4 times

your cham looks intense! did those markings apear right after? Heres a pic of amillie... I took it right after she was with the male, and since then she has constantly been alot darker, the yellow deffinetly isn't as intense though, and the red light throws it off even more...

Amillierec.jpg
[/IMG]

Yea after being with the male her color didn't really change until 10 minuts later...this was taken during that time
Now she is a darker green...the yellow is brighter, but not as full as your chams

hmm i don't have any other chams at my house right now, do those colors last? i can take her to my friends house later but i really don't want to stress her out more

If the background color is almost black, she is non-receptive or gravid. Generally when shown to the male when she is like this a female will hiss, gape, sway back and forth, etc. to show that she is not willing to accept the male. Occasionally a female will show the dark background color but not act hissy with the male and accept him...but that's the exception to the rule.

The yellow spots do not mean that she is not receptive.

Rachgreens...your chameleon looks like she is very well fed or she is gravid...does she have a place to dig in the cage to lay eggs if she needs to?? Failure to provide a place in the cage for the chameleon to dig can lead to eggbinding and death.

If she is being overfed she will likely produce a large clutch and it could shorten her life.

If the background color is almost black, she is non-receptive or gravid. Generally when shown to the male when she is like this a female will hiss, gape, sway back and forth, etc. to show that she is not willing to accept the male. Occasionally a female will show the dark background color but not act hissy with the male and accept him...but that's the exception to the rule.

Rachgreens...your chameleon looks like she is very well fed or she is gravid...does she have a place to dig in the cage to lay eggs if she needs to?? Failure to provide a place in the cage for the chameleon to dig can lead to eggbinding and death.

If she is being overfed she will likely produce a large clutch and it could shorten her life.

How can you over feed an animal that regulates their fat content and food intake?

With her color, will she only be dark when presented with a male or is this constant?
I don't have another male chameleon in my house currently so I have no clue how she would react
and yes she has a laying bin in her cage
Her feeding schedule is every other day most of thime, a mix of mainly crickets and superworms, with the occasional hornworm...is this to much? when she isn't full she constantly eats her ficus tree so either way she has a stronge appitite

GooglezNvincent said..."How can you over feed an animal that regulates their fat content and food intake?"...how do you think they do that? Female veileds tend to overeat when given the opportunity...and I'm sure quite a few other species do too.

Rachgreens said..."With her color, will she only be dark when presented with a male or is this constant?"...she could present the dark background only when with a male or she could present it without the male present. Sometimes the site of the keeper or another female will make her go dark.

You said..."I don't have another male chameleon in my house currently so I have no clue how she would react"...if you show her a mirror she might react to it...but not all of them will.

You said..."yes she has a laying bin in her cage"...good to hear that!

You said..."Her feeding schedule is every other day most of time, a mix of mainly crickets and superworms, with the occasional hornworm...is this to much?"...I feed my adult females every 2 or 3 days and I feed them 8 to 12 full grown crickets (or the equivalent amount/volume of other insects). They can be given more than this when gravid/producing eggs.

You said..."I don't have another male chameleon in my house currently so I have no clue how she would react"...if you show her a mirror she might react to it...but not all of them will.

She didn't really have any reaction...
im planning on putting her back with the male wensday, hopefully this time we will have better luck
thanks for everyones help and i'll keep you posted

I would show her to the male first so they can both see each other. If she turns dark in the background, sways, hisses, lunges, etc. then she is non-receptive or gravid and they shouldn't be put together.

Back
Top Bottom