short holiday.

Curlytails

Established Member
im going on a short holiday and have the feeding sorted but the watering is the problem. dont have an auto mister so i dont know what to do. can i keep silkworms available to him as a water source or not. its not a very long holiday.

How short is the holiday? You can't have a friend come in to do some mistings? I find a little motivation ($) goes a long way.

You could also make your own dripper. You need a container, silicon, aquarium tubing and aquarium tubing taps (You can buy those last 2 from petstores). If the container is big enough (I'd also close it with a lid so nothing gets in the water) and you have the tap open at the right amount you can have a steady drip for an extended time. But I think you can also buy these sorts of things ready made in the states - zoomed big dripper i think it is.

It's worth it to mention how long...

If you don't have anybody to take care of the cham for you then you'd best get an autatic mister asap....
If it's only a weekend or so I'd mist him nice and long before you go and leave a dripper running so he can drink.

But you should really prepare these things... Train a relative or friend to do basic husbandry while you're gone or make sure you automate basic husbandy.
Water is more important than food, they can go weeks without food but dehydration can cause issues way faster.

How short is the holiday? You can't have a friend come in to do some mistings? I find a little motivation ($) goes a long way.

You could also make your own dripper. You need a container, silicon, aquarium tubing and aquarium tubing taps (You can buy those last 2 from petstores). If the container is big enough (I'd also close it with a lid so nothing gets in the water) and you have the tap open at the right amount you can have a steady drip for an extended time. But I think you can also buy these sorts of things ready made in the states - zoomed big dripper i think it is.
4 days. i got a ton of airline tubing because of my other hobby:p. how long will a dripper last. i only use plastic solo cups as drippers for now.

It's worth it to mention how long...

If you don't have anybody to take care of the cham for you then you'd best get an autatic mister asap....
If it's only a weekend or so I'd mist him nice and long before you go and leave a dripper running so he can drink.

But you should really prepare these things... Train a relative or friend to do basic husbandry while you're gone or make sure you automate basic husbandy.
Water is more important than food, they can go weeks without food but dehydration can cause issues way faster.
one person in my family has experience with reptiles more than i do but because of something that came up that person isnt available. i would get an auto mister but they cost more than most of my setup. do you guys have any suggestions. i still have some time to prepare.

4 days. i got a ton of airline tubing because of my other hobby:p. how long will a dripper last. i only use plastic solo cups as drippers for now.

Depends how much water your container can hold and how much water is dripping over a certain amount of time. Measure how much water you can catch from a the dripper over a certain amount of time and then workout how long it will take to empty the container based on that.

Remkon is right. Instead of looking for someone who is already experienced, try train someone to do the simple things that need to be carried out over short times that you're away. Also write out some duties that need to be fulfilled while you're gone. That always helps. Highlight the important stuff and include dos and donts.

Depends how much water your container can hold and how much water is dripping over a certain amount of time. Measure how much water you can catch from a the dripper over a certain amount of time and then workout how long it will take to empty the container based on that.

Remkon is right. Instead of looking for someone who is already experienced, try train someone to do the simple things that need to be carried out over short times that you're away. Also write out some duties that need to be fulfilled while you're gone. That always helps. Highlight the important stuff and include dos and donts.
no one is really available at the moment so im asking around for ideas on automation for watering misting systems here dont come with timers and i cant find any with timers under $260.

Maybe you can build one yourself? I haven't built one myself but I don't think it would be too difficult nor too expensive.

Just make a misting system powered by a strong enough water pump and connect the pump to a timer at the electrical plug (same as your light timers).

Some supplies you'd probably need are pvc pipe or airline pipe (not sure on a good diameter size), pvc pipe connectors if you go with pvc, a submersible pump (do some research to find out how strong it would need to be), a large water container, and some suitable nozzles that will fit the tubing of your choice and an electrical timer that your pump will connect to. Then don't forget a drainage system or some sort of catchment container. I'm sure you could find some good ideas on YouTube. I think you would want to be very sure your container doesn't run out of water with this option because your submersible pump will then be taking air in and I think it could be damaged.

Maybe you can build one yourself? I haven't built one myself but I don't think it would be too difficult nor too expensive.

Just make a misting system powered by a strong enough water pump and connect the pump to a timer at the electrical plug (same as your light timers).

Some supplies you'd probably need are pvc pipe or airline pipe (not sure on a good diameter size), pvc pipe connectors if you go with pvc, a submersible pump (do some research to find out how strong it would need to be), a large water container, and some suitable nozzles that will fit the tubing of your choice and an electrical timer that your pump will connect to. Then don't forget a drainage system or some sort of catchment container. I'm sure you could find some good ideas on YouTube. I think you would want to be very sure your container doesn't run out of water with this option because your submersible pump will then be taking air in and I think it could be damaged.
diaphram pumps all the way. aquarium water changes are done with them. might have to get one for my aquarium too. i would need a very accurate timer. the timers i have on hand have 15 minute intervals so that would be too much.

Back
Top Bottom