Shopping list review

One more question that i couldnt find anywhere though. How hot is 75W bulb going on full 75 watts? Motling point of HDPE mesh is at 130 degrees celsius, and the bulb will be raised like 4 inches or so. So my question i guess is, will the temperature 10cm from bulb be higher than 130 degrees? If not i can then use the same mesh as for rest of the cage, it has small 5x5mm holes.

yeah i figured the fiberglass is a no-go, but the aluminum one is not available anywhere and ordering it from like Amazon and stuff is expensive as hell. For sides i'm going to use a HDPE plastic one 5x5mm gauge, that should be powerful enough to even keep cats out, but for top im scared to use it, as it's plastic and can melt after all. So going with a gauge of 13x13mm, i guess ill have to change the distance a lot huh ..
Yeah screen reduces UVI. It is not able to penetrate the material. So when you can't get the normally used go with the next option that lets more light in. You just have to adjust distance. Which honestly is not a bad thing. I do not like my cham being too close to the top anyway. He can then climb it which I try to avoid due to thermal burn risk.

I have solid sides from compressed PVC mine is 1/8 of an inch thick. Not sure how that compares to what you have to use there. :) It works well and is very solid.

One more question that i couldnt find anywhere though. How hot is 75W bulb going on full 75 watts? Motling point of HDPE mesh is at 130 degrees celsius, and the bulb will be raised like 4 inches or so. So my question i guess is, will the temperature 10cm from bulb be higher than 130 degrees? If not i can then use the same mesh as for rest of the cage, it has small 5x5mm holes.

It is not going to reach anywhere near 130 C. especially if you are using a standard halogen or incandecent bulb. I would avoid focused heat bulbs just because they can get a bit intense for a chameleon.

What species are you getting?

Yeah screen reduces UVI. It is not able to penetrate the material. So when you can't get the normally used go with the next option that lets more light in. You just have to adjust distance. Which honestly is not a bad thing. I do not like my cham being too close to the top anyway. He can then climb it which I try to avoid due to thermal burn risk.

I have solid sides from compressed PVC mine is 1/8 of an inch thick. Not sure how that compares to what you have to use there. :) It works well and is very solid.
Oh im planning on going with plywood for sides that is treated with boat sealant. It will be placed in a corner, 2 sides that are in the corner will be solid and 2 sides will be the HDPE plastic mesh with 5x5mm holes. But for the top, im not sure if it will hold up, as the heat may melt it, see my other question above. The way im constructing the cage wont allow me to raise UVB light much more upwards, thats why i want to deal with it now before completing it

It is not going to reach anywhere near 130 C. especially if you are using a standard halogen or incandecent bulb. I would avoid focused heat bulbs just because they can get a bit intense for a chameleon.

What species are you getting?
I'm planning on starting out with veiled just like most of us. The basking is 27 degrees but the bulb itself can be hot up to 200 something degrees i read somewhere. That is on the surface of it, how hot it is 10cm from the surface i do not know. All this is about 75W incandescent bulb of course, clear basic one.

I'm planning on starting out with veiled just like most of us. The basking is 27 degrees but the bulb itself can be hot up to 200 something degrees i read somewhere. That is on the surface of it, how hot it is 10cm from the surface i do not know. All this is about 75W incandescent bulb of course, clear basic one.
I would test your fixture and bulb... See what temps you get. I honestly do not know. I know my bulbs do not get extremely hot but I also use regular incandescent bulbs.

I would test your fixture and bulb... See what temps you get. I honestly do not know. I know my bulbs do not get extremely hot but I also use regular incandescent bulbs.
Yeah i plan on using regular one as well, google said max surface temps for 75 watt one are around 250C, but what temps are when you go further away i do not know. might just test it as you say

Yeah i plan on using regular one as well, google said max surface temps for 75 watt one are around 250C, but what temps are when you go further away i do not know. might just test it as you say
Yeah I would test it and see what you get. I have a hard time believing it would reach the extreme temps for melting but that again is not something I am all that familiar with.

Yeah I would test it and see what you get. I have a hard time believing it would reach the extreme temps for melting but that again is not something I am all that familiar with.
Yeah it was just what google told me, but they do get pretty hot i guess. Ideal would be if i could just use the same mesh for top as for the rest of the cage

Back
Top Bottom