Shipping Question

DragonLady

Do you have to have an actual license to ship reptiles to do so? I don't have a license and the one and only time I shipped some geckos (to California) they got "delayed" by the California Conservation Department and although they let them in, the guy had to go to their office and pick them up. Is this just a very strict California law? I can use my corporate Fed-Ex account at work and it is a lot cheaper than using Ship My Reptile, but I don't want to have the cham held up for not having an actual license. Oh, the package would be coming from Kansas City, MO to Louisville, KY. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

http://www.fedex.com/us/government/intl/termsandconditions.html#liveanimals

FedEx does not accept live animal shipments as part of its regularly scheduled service. Live animals will be accepted when the shipment is coordinated and approved by the FedEx Live Animal Desk. Acceptable shipments include, but are not limited to, zoo animals (to and from zoo locations only) and horses (from gateway to gateway locations only). Household pets, such as domestic cats and dogs, and live fish are not accepted. For more information, contact the FedEx Live Animal Desk at 1.800.405.9052.

Thanks - I went to the link and checked it out, but I have rec'd many reptiles via Fed-Ex: Numerous frogs, my beardie and a few chams. Now I'm even more confused! I will call the 800 number, and I've also been searching the Missouri Conservation Department website, and still haven't come up with anything concrete. Again, thanks for the response!

You can be certified to ship reptiles through FedEx. As far as I'm aware, there aren't any *State* (Not Federal) laws regarding delivery of animals, as long as the animal is'nt protected/illegal in that state.

I'm sure you have gotten animals through Fed Ex.

However, I suspect in many cases that was not done properly. Were the boxes clearly labelled that they contained "live animals"? The geckos you shipped that were stopped...did they go Fed Ex and were they labelled as "live animals"?

I'm sure you have gotten animals through Fed Ex.

However, I suspect in many cases that was not done properly. Were the boxes clearly labelled that they contained "live animals"? The geckos you shipped that were stopped...did they go Fed Ex and were they labelled as "live animals"?

Actually, none of the boxes were labeled live animals. They were all labeled, my geckos included, "Perishable" "This side up." Evidently California actually scans everything that comes into the state and that's when they found out the box contained lived animals. I am going to go ahead and ship through Ship My Reptiles, and then contact Fed-Ex next week to see what it takes to get certified. Thanks so much for your help!

That's probably the safest solution. I'm sure others here are interested in what it takes to get certified so maybe you could post that later.

Actually, none of the boxes were labeled live animals. They were all labeled, my geckos included, "Perishable" "This side up." Evidently California actually scans everything that comes into the state and that's when they found out the box contained lived animals. I am going to go ahead and ship through Ship My Reptiles, and then contact Fed-Ex next week to see what it takes to get certified. Thanks so much for your help!

It's actually illegal to ship live animals without properly labeling them. You have to put "Live animal', and the animal's common and scientific name on the outside of the box (or on something in the top of the box.)

Correct...and, the fact is, while we'd love to think chameleons just sleep through the whole trip, we all know from driving them home that they sometimes move around...if that were heard then the package would be pulled and X-rayed, which maybe why it got into the hands of the customs agents. That would be a consideration with any package sent by an uncertified Fed Ex shipper. From what I read, live animals shipped through Fed Ex must go through the "live animal desk" which,suggest to me that customs is going to be involved regardless.

UPS is the only shipper I know of who agrees to ship live animals within the United States.

This may be because United Parcel Service is largely a US operation which relies on other agents for international shipments (DHL is the common other party) while Federal Express runs its own international shipments. Federal Express may have found it easier to have one standard for both domestic and international as they are covered by one set of shippers.

Back
Top Bottom