Shes hiding all the time from me!:(

kirstythorne96

I have had this veiled chameleon now for 5 months she's a female. But she isny very friendly and doesn't ever come out of her hiding places when I go to see her I will catch her wondering around her cage then as she spots me she will slowly go to the back of the cage where all the leaves are. I did manage to get her to eat from my hand about a month ago but I went on holiday and came back and she won't do it now she will wait for me to turn my back and then eat her food! Is there anything I can do to make her trust me?

In general Chameleons are not very social and can be easily stressed. There is no easy solution to this. I'd try occasionally petting it to build up trust but I don't know much on this topic. Sorry

I'd try occasionally petting it to build up trust but I don't know much on this topic.

Even tame chameleons usually dislike that.

My advice is to just to be very patient and continue to try and hand feed her. It may take several days of standing very still with a hand outstretched for 20 minutes or something before she takes that first insect from your hand, but as you probably found before- it gets easier after that. After the first is taken, stop all bowl feeding until she readily hand feeds. That is the method I used on some in the past and it worked well, although it took a lot of patience for several weeks. But the end result is a lizard who comes to the front of the cage when you approach, hoping you've got handouts, instead of one that is afraid of you.

Back
Top Bottom