Shedding.

Heika

Spencer started shedding a week ago with his foot and part of his tail. Then, he stopped. Well, today he looked like this... not sure a chamelon can look any more miserable!

shed1.jpg

So, I took him outside, his favorite place to be.

shed2.jpg

And turned on the hose for him. Is it just me, or does he look like he is much happier?

shed3.jpg

shed6.jpg

shed7.jpg

He is still out there.. soaking up the sun and the water. BTW... not sure if it would be a good idea to use the hose for anyone else because of water temperature. We live on the edge of a geothermal area, and the water temperature never drops below about 75 to 80 degrees.

Heika

Hahaha, awwwww- he does look miserable! I'm not sure if you're chameleon has mood swings before a shed (pre-shedding syndrome [PSS]) LOL :D I know my chameleon gets really aggresive before a shed. If I even get close to his enclosure he lunges. :eek: I use a hose as well in the summer; just make sure the water fairly warm and he should be just fine. Again, love the pics!

Hey there. My cham just started shedding too.(Ampersand The pecaock chameleon). It was the first time I have seen puff up and scream. It was sooooo cute. He still wanted to come out and play but he was a little cranky so I put him back. Ampersand rocks!!!

i have heard it is common to shed about every three weeks...but my cham hasn't shed for over four weeks now

emersonc said:
i have heard it is common to shed about every three weeks...but my cham hasn't shed for over four weeks now
Entirely wrong. There is no guidline for shedding. It varies by age, and living conditions.

Should i be Concerned?

When we first got our Veiled Chameleon he was shedding about every 2 weeks, not he hasnt shed in about 4? Well he shed his head and that was it about 4 days ago, is that unusual or is there things i need to be changing in his cage? Also if anyone knows of a good place to purchase a new cage, we are in need of finding one. Hes growing out of the one hes in now????:eek:

My cham loves to be pet. She will just sit on my finger and i will pet her under her chin and her belly. I figure if she doesnt like it then she would walk away or turn black, i think she likes it:D :D :D

I do have a question about shedding ... my vet said "incomplete sheds" are a sign of poor health ... like parasites or something else that is wrong. Hermie began shedding a week ago and still has little bits of skin here and there. And I've upped the humidity in his cage to try and help him out. Granted he's been through a lot with his MBD (he gets his last cast off tomorrow!), so maybe that could play into it ... but is she correct in that incomplete sheds are a sign of problems?

not always a few little pieces hang on from time to time. They fall off a few days after everything else has. Like the tips of the feet or joints.

Jam said:
I do have a question about shedding ... my vet said "incomplete sheds" are a sign of poor health ... like parasites or something else that is wrong. Hermie began shedding a week ago and still has little bits of skin here and there. And I've upped the humidity in his cage to try and help him out. Granted he's been through a lot with his MBD (he gets his last cast off tomorrow!), so maybe that could play into it ... but is she correct in that incomplete sheds are a sign of problems?

No way, whoever told you that is incompetent. I had the exact problem with both of my chameleons; 1 Veiled, 1 Panther. They would shed about half of their body, than the other half of the shed would become retained. This was in the winter months, and the humidity level was considerably lower than usual. I gave them daily showers, and moisturized their skin with Cocoa butter lotion (works like a charm :D) Especially if the chameleon is older, sheds may take more time with age...

Back
Top Bottom