Shedding?

Evie091

Your Chameleon - Female, Yemen Chameleon, 4-6 months from what I have been told. She has been with me for a 15 days.
Handling - She comes out for handling most days and seems comfortable and calm.
Feeding - I am feeding her crickets, and waxworms as a treat. I am feeding her 5 crickets a day but I am in the process of transitioning to 5 crickets every other day. I feed her in the morning but sometimes the crickets jump out of the pot and she just finds them throughout the day. I am giving Them a mix of kale, squash, carrots, cucumber, apple etc. I put arcadia insect fuel on the food and bug gel.
Supplements - I am using EarthPro A on most feedings and will alternate between calcium mg and revitalize d3 every week.
Watering - I mist her enclosure about 3 times a day for 1 or 2 mins. I sometimes see her drinking after misting but I dont see her drinking of the leaves much. She also has a dripper in the enclosure
Fecal Description - Feces seems usually and so does urate. I don't think she has been tested for parasites.
History - I don't really know any of her history.
Cage Info:

Cage Type - Mesh enclosure 61 x 61 x 122 cm (24" x 24" x 48")
Lighting - arcadia e27 solar basking floodlight, 150W Uva and arcadia prot5 uvb, 24W, 12% UVB. I turn her lights on around 8:45 am and turn them off around 8:45 pm.
Temperature - basking is around 30 which I have ordered a dimming thermometer to get it lower and the other thermometer is around 24 during the day.
Humidity - Humidity is usually from 50 to 70%, sometimes goes up to 80 after misting but never above that. I use a analog hygrometer to measure it.
Plants - I've got fake plants for right now but am looking into getting live plants.
Placement - The enclosure is in my bedroom, there are no fans, air vents and it isn't a high traffic area. The top of the enclosure is 194 cm from the floor.
Location - I live in the UK.

I think she might be shedding as when I was turning her lights out she had these little white patches on her back and tail and it looked like the skin was flaking on her tail. Should I give her some arcadia shed ease tomorrow to help? I just want to make sure everything okay with her. (sorry for the bas pics she was moving)
IMG_20201217_203805.jpg
IMG_20201217_204151.jpg

Yes, she is about to shed. When did you notice the change in color? If it was today I would hold off on using any kind of shedding aid unless she really needs it. Other than that she looks perfectly healthy! Her eyes are full and there are no signs of MBD. It's good that she is drinking. Chams need good hydration and humidity during sheds. If you are noticing that pieces of skin are sticking try misting more often and increase the humidity and then consider using arcadia. I would also replace the fake plants with live plants as soon as you can, fake plants can hurt them, and live plants help maintain humidity. When she poops, is the urate white or yellowish?

Yes, she is about to shed. When did you notice the change in color? If it was today I would hold off on using any kind of shedding aid unless she really needs it. Other than that she looks perfectly healthy! Her eyes are full and there are no signs of MBD. It's good that she is drinking. Chams need good hydration and humidity during sheds. If you are noticing that pieces of skin are sticking try misting more often and increase the humidity and then consider using arcadia. I would also replace the fake plants with live plants as soon as you can, fake plants can hurt them, and live plants help maintain humidity. When she poops, is the urate white or yellowish?
The urate is white and live plants are the next thing on my list to get! Thank you for the help!

Hi. :) All of your husbandry sounds pretty good but I’d like to make a few suggestions. Basking temp is a bit high. Newer recommendations are cooler at 27. Your humidity is a bit too high. Ideal range is between 30-50% during the day. At night when temps are cool, you could bring humidity up to 80-100% for natural hydration. Adding a cool mist humidifier for a few hours at night is a good idea.
Might I suggest pothos as a great plant. (my favorite) Here is a list of safe plants. https://chameleonacademy.com/plants/ It’s usually a good idea to add a plant light too.
Is your shed aid the powder supplement from Arcadia? If so, using that should be fine. The various shed products that are sprayed on aren’t good for chams as they are dry shedders.
Sounds like you probably already know, but I have to ask if you’re aware your girl will lay infertile eggs regardless of being mated?

Hi. :) All of your husbandry sounds pretty good but I’d like to make a few suggestions. Basking temp is a bit high. Newer recommendations are cooler at 27. Your humidity is a bit too high. Ideal range is between 30-50% during the day. At night when temps are cool, you could bring humidity up to 80-100% for natural hydration. Adding a cool mist humidifier for a few hours at night is a good idea.
Might I suggest pothos as a great plant. (my favorite) Here is a list of safe plants. https://chameleonacademy.com/plants/ It’s usually a good idea to add a plant light too.
Is your shed aid the powder supplement from Arcadia? If so, using that should be fine. The various shed products that are sprayed on aren’t good for chams as they are dry shedders.
Sounds like you probably already know, but I have to ask if you’re aware your girl will lay infertile eggs regardless of being mated?
How can I keep the humidity down? My room averages at 40 to 50 percent anyway so how can I keep that lower. I have just got a lay bin for her when she is ready for it and the dimming thermometer for her basking lamp is arriving today so I will get that installed as soon as possible. I will order live plants as soon as I get a chance too. The supplement is the arcadia powder stuff.

How can I keep the humidity down? My room averages at 40 to 50 percent anyway so how can I keep that lower. I have just got a lay bin for her when she is ready for it and the dimming thermometer for her basking lamp is arriving today so I will get that installed as soon as possible. I will order live plants as soon as I get a chance too. The supplement is the arcadia powder stuff.
For the humidity, if you’re spraying 3 times a day for 2 minutes each time, you most likely don’t need to use a dripper too. That may help to bring the humidity down just enough. Just keep an eye on her urates to monitor hydration. Having a small bit of yellow or orange is ok as long as the whole urate isn’t that color.

For the humidity, if you’re spraying 3 times a day for 2 minutes each time, you most likely don’t need to use a dripper too. That may help to bring the humidity down just enough. Just keep an eye on her urates to monitor hydration. Having a small bit of yellow or orange is ok as long as the whole urate isn’t that color.
Okay, thank you very much!

Back
Top Bottom