Shedding

extrajordinary

Established Member
I've had my little guy for less than a week and I think he's already starting to shed. It looks like it's beginning on his tail. This is my first chameleon and the first time he's shed. What can I expect? How can I make him more comfortable? Also, could this be part of why he's not eating? I read that he may not eat regularly while he's adjusting, but could shedding also affect his appetite? I'm offering him the correct size of crickets, and he's eaten a few, but I also think he dislikes the cups I've tried to use for feeding. When the cup was clear he was trying to eat but kept hitting the side of the cup so I switched to an opaque cup...but now he doesn't seem as interested. It's like he needs to see them through the clear cup to be interested...but then can't figure out how to get to them. Suggestions?

Appetite shouldnt change.

The little guys will "poof" every couple of weeks, full body peels. Once they are adults they will randomly peel body parts, might be a head 1 time and the back feet another.

For a opaque cup, you want it as big as possible and well below where he hangs out, with a few drainage holes in the bottom. I use feeder "troughs" at the bottom of the cages, made out of cheap glad lock containers. I have them shallow enough that the cham can climb out of, but not the feeders.

I know you filled out the ask for help form on a previous thread, but if you fill it out here, it’ll help everyone else out so we don’t have to flip between threads. https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/ Could you post a pic of the enclosure as well, please? For the cup feeding, try a PVC feeding tube cup or water jug cup. You can buy one from fullthrottlefeeders.com or make one. Have you tried other types of feeders? Are they gutloaded and dusted?

So he shouldn't be shedding slowly? I've only noticed his tail is peeling. I'm currently at work but I will post a photo (and the help form) when I get the chance. I ordered a cup from fullthrottlefeeders.com and it will be here this evening. I just wanted to see if there was something I could do in the meantime. I haven't, but I was thinking about trying a different feeder. What would you suggest? And yes, gutloaded and dusted!

So he shouldn't be shedding slowly? I've only noticed his tail is peeling. I'm currently at work but I will post a photo (and the help form) when I get the chance. I ordered a cup from fullthrottlefeeders.com and it will be here this evening. I just wanted to see if there was something I could do in the meantime. I haven't, but I was thinking about trying a different feeder. What would you suggest? And yes, gutloaded and dusted!
Roaches, silkworms, butterworms, hornworms, bsfl, etc, basically any feeder that is appropriately sized

Back
Top Bottom