Shedding?

Pjtbug

Hi all,
So I woke up this morning and char was beginning to shed. It was quite supprising since he hadn’t showed any signs of shedding and now half of his skin is off. I was just wondering if there is anything special I need to do to make sure the shed goes well. I already know to most him a little extra, but is there anything besides that?

Mostly just stand back and enjoy the show. The only time you would need to help is if a loop of it doesn't come off and starts to strangle a limb, toe or tail (very rarely happens).

Petr necas says that we should actually keep them more dry while shedding. Which makes sense. Skin peels/cracks easier when dry, not moist.

I'm still on the fence on that one. I agree with Petr that keeping them too wet while that are shedding could possibly increase their risk of skin infections. I'd just hate to see people let them get dehydrated while shedding as a well hydrated animal is going to have plumper skin and a quicker shed. Not that that was what Petr was recommending but folks get carried away.

@JacksJill I agree with where you're coming from, it's why I take certain stances on these forums. We have to remember how newcomers are going to interpret things. Petr is most definitely talking about a well-nourished, hydrated animal. Personally I've never noticed extra misting to help. I just leave things as is and it comes off fast. I dont know how likely it would be for misting to cause an infection, but I can see it sticking easier.

I'm starting to see shedding as another way to measure the health of chameleons. If the shed comes off without difficulty then your husbandry might just be on track baring other indicators. If not then it's time to start looking into things and tuning it up.
That’s good too hear...my guy shed completely in about a day and a half...I didn’t change misting or routine at all...thanks for sharing

Just keep an eye on him shedding and his poop, the poop should be brown with a white or cream colored top piece which indicates he’s hydrated. Type in shedding under search and this has been talked about a lot...check out the poop thread too, although funny name, it’s something you need to know, that you didn’t know you needed to know... :)

This is all super helpful as I'm preparing to get my first chameleon :)
These forums are awesome for info...do your research!!! Cool pet, very complex compared to many other animals, but great if you follow great advice (you can get here from experts, not me, I’m new too) read threads and post when you have questions...good luck...make sure to post pics when you get your Cham !

I have been reading threads on this site for about 4 days now! I spent a lot of time today starting to get my setup ready and ordering supplies online (cheaper than the pet stores I don't really trust anyway). I got really lucky and somebody is selling an enclosure with some vines and light fixtures on facebook marketplace for cheap near me that I'm seeing tomorrow... I'm hoping I can have everything ready to order a veiled from FL Champs within a week or two!

One thing I still can't find a lot of information about is getting a baby and what the first week will be like. Specifically, how soon should that first vet visit be? Clearly the name of the game is avoiding stress but doing right by your cham. I also think I'll be a nervous wreck if my cham doesn't eat for many days because he's getting settled in...that seems so unsettling!

Oh and it seems like the consensus is that crickets are a staple in the diet (with the vitamin dustings and gutloading), but it also seems like I should have a variety from the beginning and include rubia roaches and some of the appropriate worms too?

I got my male vieled from FLCHAMS and I opted for a juvenile (2-3 mos old) and he was still tiny when he shipped here from NC ...you’ll have to ask an expert other than me about first vet visit time...I’d think about getting a juvenile instead of a baby...mine was tiny when he came , I can’t imagine getting a baby they are itty bitty. I got my guy about four weeks ago so I’m new too. Yeah make all is right/set up and tested out before you order your Cham...will save you being forced to spend premium $$$ at the pet store due to you forgetting something (a mistake I made on lights) and my guy are like ten minutes after I got him in his cage...lol

I got my male vieled from FLCHAMS and I opted for a juvenile (2-3 mos old) and he was still tiny when he shipped here from NC ...you’ll have to ask an expert other than me about first vet visit time...I’d think about getting a juvenile instead of a baby...mine was tiny when he came , I can’t imagine getting a baby they are itty bitty. I got my guy about four weeks ago so I’m new too. Yeah make all is right/set up and tested out before you order your Cham...will save you being forced to spend premium $$$ at the pet store due to you forgetting something (a mistake I made on lights) and my guy are like ten minutes after I got him in his cage...lol

OH! I thought a 2-3 month old would still be called a baby just because they are so small, haha. I don't think FLCHAMPS sends them sooner than that because they are just so small. Good to know. Juvi then. lol. I'm really glad to hear yours ate 10 minutes after putting him in! I hope mine does...haha! Also I'm in VA so I'm glad to know that the cham traveled well in the summer heat from FL. It sounds like this Mike guy knows what he's doing. Hey - thanks! :)

OH for sure, its very interesting to watch. and yeah they will shed so suddenly its like WOW I didn't even anticipate that. Its like all of a sudden BAM shedding. BTW everyone? how often should a 6 month old cham shed?

OH for sure, its very interesting to watch. and yeah they will shed so suddenly its like WOW I didn't even anticipate that. Its like all of a sudden BAM shedding. BTW everyone? how often should a 6 month old cham shed?
I would say maybe once a month, possibly twice but mine hasn't like he used to when he was younger. As they get older they won't be shedding as much

Back
Top Bottom