Shedding, when should I start to worry?

xxaprilrose

Established Member
My younger panther chameleon started shedding about 4 pm yesterday and is still going. He’s so agitated and been running all around and rubbing up on the branches and I just feel so bad. He’s 3.5 months old. When should I start to worry? My 8 month panther never took this long to shed at any point in his life and when he was that young it would all come off at once lol but this lil guy is struggling. Last night the humidity was 89 throughout the night then I turned his lights on and it went down to 54 so I sprayed in there a bit and it went up to 80 and back down to 59 at this moment in time. Should I spray again?

Hello! Your chameleon is totally fine! Just give them space and don't do anything extra to help them. Their body will finish shedding at their own time and pace. A couple days is normal. Shedding is a timely process that is best at its own pace.

Hello! Your chameleon is totally fine! Just give them space and don't do anything extra to help them. Their body will finish shedding at their own time and pace. A couple days is normal. Shedding is a timely process that is best at its own pace.
ThNks so much! I was just worried because he’s so young I thought they shed super quick when they are that young. Good to know though 😌 appreciate it!

You should not be altering and adding additional misting. This will actually have the opposite effect and cause the shed to stick rather than release. They are dry shedders.

Keep all his levels for day and night where they are supposed to be. Let him get through the shed. Some are fast and some are a little longer.

You should not be altering and adding additional misting. This will actually have the opposite effect and cause the shed to stick rather than release. They are dry shedders.

Keep all his levels for day and night where they are supposed to be. Let him get through the shed. Some are fast and some are a little longer.
Ok thanks so much! Will def not list anymore. I just hope he’s done for his sake because he seems so mad lol but I’m leaving him alone for sure

ThNks so much! I was just worried because he’s so young I thought they shed super quick when they are that young. Good to know though 😌 appreciate it!
Also, note that as they age, chameleons will shed in different places at different times. So don't be concerned once you start seeing that. I'd say that would take place around 7-8 plus months.

He is still shedding. Should I be worried now? Here’s a pic I just took. As u can see his back, some spots on his stomach, some on his tail, his head and feet all still have patches waiting to fall off but haven’t.

Attachments

• 900FFB20-CCC1-4323-A9CB-C96CD21777C3.jpeg
    900FFB20-CCC1-4323-A9CB-C96CD21777C3.jpeg
    727.8 KB · Views: 89
  • 3D2ACE7A-9EFA-4EE7-9054-388860D36438.jpeg
    3D2ACE7A-9EFA-4EE7-9054-388860D36438.jpeg
    269.5 KB · Views: 87
Do a husbandry review. I see your using the exo terra vines... They really should not be used. This would not impact shedding but it does mean that your husbandry and enclosure images should be reviewed.

The shed u see is just what’s left. Everything else fell off. I’m not currently home but responding so I’m not sure if it fell off yet since posting. Humidity remains 55-60 during the day and at night it’s 80-85 humidity. Does not get sprayed directly. The vine in the photo is only temporary as I placed in there because he kept claiming the top screen when he started to shed as he was going a little nuts but then he would get stuck up there and no branch was close enough for him to get down so I just have that proped to he can use it as a leverage to get down. It’s coming back out I promise

The shed u see is just what’s left. Everything else fell off. I’m not currently home but responding so I’m not sure if it fell off yet since posting. Humidity remains 55-60 during the day and at night it’s 80-85 humidity. Does not get sprayed directly. The vine in the photo is only temporary as I placed in there because he kept claiming the top screen when he started to shed as he was going a little nuts but then he would get stuck up there and no branch was close enough for him to get down so I just have that proped to he can use it as a leverage to get down. It’s coming back out I promise
Are you hand misting or do you have an auto mister? What supplements are you using?

Back
Top Bottom