Shedding stress or impaction.

Riddell1984

My partner caught pascal with some bio material in his mouth on Saturday. She pulled it out but wasnt sure if he had swallowed some.
He was eating yesterday loads and has had some breakfast but now looks like this and I am concerned that he has got impaction and his stressed colours or not due to his shedding.
Please help.
20200127_132412.jpg

I don't like how he's laying on his belly and his vent should not be distended like that. You need a vet first.

Then fill out the help form and we will review that and discuss the possible impaction.

I don't like how he's laying on his belly and his vent should not be distended like that. You need a vet first.

Then fill out the help form and we will review that and discuss the possible impaction.
I have no idea how to fill out the form.
So I have called a vets that has some exotics training.
I'll sus out the form later and add it to the thread.

Copy and paste this and fill out the questions:
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

This is the form, but it is secondary to getting him seen by the exotic vet you mentioned.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.

This is the form, but it is secondary to getting him seen by the exotic vet you mentioned.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon -
    Panther Male 4.5 months. 2 weeks
    Never just hand feed
    locust cricket mealworms. Use commercial gutload. 7 ish a day. In morning.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Repashy calcium plus lod daily. Nutrabol 1 week
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Dripper 2 a day for an hour each. Mist 2 3 times a day. Seen him drink twice
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?normally 1 or 2 a day. White and black. Last couple slightly yellow. But very slight. No poo for 2 days.
Cage Info:

Exoterra xl. 18x36x36
    Arcadia fluorescent bulb. 12 uvb
    Basking spot under ceramic bulb. 31 plus.
    25 in top of tank 20 in room. 16 at night.
    Hygrometer. 70%
    Fake. He doesnt go anywhere near them.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas?
    At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
    Top of cage 5 11 off floor. In corner. No traffic no vents or fans.
    Poole . Uk
He is shedding. But gone very dark patches of brown. Look at photo.
He ate some bio matter from bioactive base.
Hasnt pooed for 2 days that I can see. Is he impacted.
I can get more photos.

--------------

Please Note:

You do have some opportunities for improvement, but nothing really jumping out at me.

Except the black in his poop, that is usually blood. Given everything else I feel like this qualifies as an emergency and be treated as such.

Been to the vets. Very slight impaction. Not worth worrying about at this point. He has pooed. And the vet has asked me to keep up his humidity( my humidity of 75 was spot on she said) and misting for hydration and to give him very shallow baths twice a day supervised. This is to moisten his vent and aid pushing it out. It will also help him shed. I am to take him back in a week if he hasnt pooed. Or if he worsens.
His colour she felt was a mixture of the impaction and him shedding being very stressful as at times his colour returns and he seems fine.
She said my UV lighting was great but I had a ceramic heat lamp that was great at night but during the day pascal went to the light for heat as in the wild they'd walk into the sun. So she advised me to get a daylight heatlamp to stimulate a brightly lit hot area. So I have brought one and they now run as day and night heat sources.
I have covered the biosubstrate in live moss to stop him getting to the soils and bio matter. It will also keep up the humidity.

Can you guys think of anything else.
20200127_184201.jpg

That's him now were home
And hes eating again

Last edited:
very shallow baths twice a day supervised.
Never give chams a bath, it is of no benefit, only stress. That's the last ting you need right now.

It will also help him shed.
Chams are dry shedders, never moisten their shed. All it does is adding more flexibility to the shed making it harder to remove. Dry shed flakes off easily.

She said my UV lighting was great but I had a ceramic heat lamp that was great at night but during the day pascal went to the light for heat as in the wild they'd walk into the sun. So she advised me to get a daylight heatlamp to stimulate a brightly lit hot area. So I have
12% UVB is normally too much for panthers but it can be done, you'd need a solar meter to know for sure.

The vet did say it was not something to do ever. But she said it would help with the impaction specifically to help moisten the vent.
I have realised now after watching a couple of videos that I need to keep pascal dry for his shed.

The vet did say it was not something to do ever. But she said it would help with the impaction specifically to help moisten the vent.
I have realised now after watching a couple of videos that I need to keep pascal dry for his shed.
You do what you want but im telling you nothing good will come of it.

Back
Top Bottom