Shedding questions

Chey1995

I think my Jackson and veiled chameleon are starting to shed. I just started to notice some little patches. More so on my Jackson’s foot. I’m just curious bc I don’t really know what to do besides keep the humidity a little higher I think? I try to keep the Jackson’s at thirty percent but it’s been sitting at 40 since I added more live plants,I guess I need to remove some of them if that’s too high. I keep my veiled at 50 percent and I also added more live plants to her enclosure and it hadn’t really affected her humidity much. Hers is staying around 55. Just ask any questions you need to know.

So chameleons are dry shedders so raising the humidity actually makes it harder for them. I'm not sure what the humidity is supposed to be for a Jackson's but for a vieled, you do not want over 50% during the day. At night it can be as high as 100%. You can try getting a dehumidifier or a fan in the room to help lower the humidity.

I do keep my veiled chameleons humidity at 50 but I’ve added new plants and it was causing the humidity to rise about 5 percent higher. I keep my Jackson at 30 percent and his was staying at 40 percent. I think I’ve fixed the problem though. I’m not thinking it had a lot to do with me raising the humidity to almost 100 percent at night and it was harder to dry the cages down. Now I’m shooting for 75 percent like I was recommended to do. My question is do I keep the levels at 30 and 50 percent as usual or lower? They seem to be shedding in patches more every day since I noticed the shedding about two days ago.

I do keep my veiled chameleons humidity at 50 but I’ve added new plants and it was causing the humidity to rise about 5 percent higher. I keep my Jackson at 30 percent and his was staying at 40 percent. I think I’ve fixed the problem though. I’m not thinking it had a lot to do with me raising the humidity to almost 100 percent at night and it was harder to dry the cages down. Now I’m shooting for 75 percent like I was recommended to do. My question is do I keep the levels at 30 and 50 percent as usual or lower? They seem to be shedding in patches more every day since I noticed the shedding about two days ago.
For the vieled, you could lower it a little more if you want but Its completely normal for chameleons to shed in sections as they grow older.

Your Veiled is on the high side... Keeping them 35-40% is better 50% is high end. And your Jackson is on the low end of their range of 30-50%. Most keepers keep them in the 40-50% daytime range... No changing anything with misting or fogging when shedding. You keep it all the way they are supposed to have it. Fogging at night only when temps are below 67.
Might take a look at these.

https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/care-sheet-Veiled-Chameleon-2021B.pdf
https://chameleonacademy.com/the-jacksons-chameleon-trioceros-jacksonii/

Sorry for the very late response I will def check out the links. I watch a YouTube video from a guy who raises the Jackson’s and he said that it should be at 30 percent. I’ve keep it at that range the entire time I’ve owned him. But I also thought 50 was a good range for the veiled😬. I will check out the links and I’ll try the levels you suggested. I’m always open to good advice for my babies. 🙃

Back
Top Bottom