Shedding issues

KatelynnOgbin20

So I recently got a veiled chameleon baby I do not know his birth day so I can’t say how old but definitely not older then 6 months yesterday he started shedding and while he shedded most of it there are still a few spots his humidity in his enclosure stays between 75% and 80% and his temperature stays between 80 and 85 I mist regularly and he’s eating/drinking fine so what could be the cause is it normal? If not what do I do about it? I’m just trying to make sure he doesn’t end up sick

Hi and welcome. :) It’s a very common mistake that many make, but unlike most other reptiles, chameleons are dry shedders. Increased moisture or humidity will make the shed skin stick more to them. Your humidity at 75-80% is way too high as it is and is placing your cham at increased risk for more than stuck shed. The ideal range is between 30-50%, which is around the same range that we are comfortable at.
Since there’s so very much old or wrong info on keeping chameleons, we’re more than happy to make sure you have everything else as perfect as possible for your young guy. If you’d like to post some pics of your cham and his enclosure we can go from there. For a more in depth husbandry review, post your answers to the questions found here https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/ plus the pics.

Hi and welcome. :) It’s a very common mistake that many make, but unlike most other reptiles, chameleons are dry shedders. Increased moisture or humidity will make the shed skin stick more to them. Your humidity at 75-80% is way too high as it is and is placing your cham at increased risk for more than stuck shed. The ideal range is between 30-50%, which is around the same range that we are comfortable at.
Since there’s so very much old or wrong info on keeping chameleons, we’re more than happy to make sure you have everything else as perfect as possible for your young guy. If you’d like to post some pics of your cham and his enclosure we can go from there. For a more in depth husbandry review, post your answers to the questions found here https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/ plus the pics.
So his humidity is only supposed to be 30-50% cause every pet store I’ve spoken to has said between 75-80 and when you look at their humidity level that’s what theirs is as well his humidity is at 80% when first misting however as the hours go by it gets down to about 55% when the cage dries is when I mist again typically about three times a day this is his tank set up as well as him it is wet it was the first mist of the day literal seconds before this photo was taken he is eating and drinking

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 64
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 71
So his humidity is only supposed to be 30-50% cause every pet store I’ve spoken to has said between 75-80 and when you look at their humidity level that’s what theirs is as well his humidity is at 80% when first misting however as the hours go by it gets down to about 55% when the cage dries is when I mist again typically about three times a day this is his tank set up as well as him it is wet it was the first mist of the day literal seconds before this photo was taken he is eating and drinking
Also would like to note the humidifier doesn’t get used that’s where it was sitting when we set his cage up and it hasn’t been used since we got him it was for my daughter

Hi there welcome to the forum. There are quite a few things that stand out for me with your enclosure set up. Looks like you were given some incorrect info. The UVB lighting, Moss vines and the fern should all be changed out. The humidity is too high. Unfortunately most pet stores do not keep their chams correctly and give the wrong info to the people buying them.

If you copy and paste this form into your response then fill it out we can get you on the right track for your new baby. If you can get some pics of the back of the back feet we can determine gender as well.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Hi there welcome to the forum. There are quite a few things that stand out for me with your enclosure set up. Looks like you were given some incorrect info. The UVB lighting, Moss vines and the fern should all be changed out. The humidity is too high. Unfortunately most pet stores do not keep their chams correctly and give the wrong info to the people buying them.

If you copy and paste this form into your response then fill it out we can get you on the right track for your new baby. If you can get some pics of the back of the back feet we can determine gender as well.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
  • Your Chameleon - veiled chameleon, do not know the exact age, I’ve had him for four days, unknown sex
  • Handling - since bringing him home I’ve handled him about two times due to trying to give him time to get used to his new surrounding
  • Feeding - 5-6 small crickets they are being guy loaded with cricket care jelly pods and dusted with reptivite
  • Supplements - reptivite is zoo meds and dust them every other day due to not wanting to give to much D3
  • Watering - I use a little dripper for watering I have seen him drink and eat I mist three times a day once in the morning once in the afternoon and if needed once in the evening

• Your Chameleon - veiled chameleon, do not know the exact age, I’ve had him for four days, unknown sex
  • Handling - since bringing him home I’ve handled him about two times due to trying to give him time to get used to his new surrounding
  • Feeding - 5-6 small crickets they are being guy loaded with cricket care jelly pods and dusted with reptivite
  • Supplements - reptivite is zoo meds and dust them every other day due to not wanting to give to much D3
  • Watering - I use a little dripper for watering I have seen him drink and eat I mist three times a day once in the morning once in the afternoon and if needed once in the evening
  • Cage Type - the cage is a mesh cage I am unsure of the dimensions I can tell you that it’s a medium zoo med cage
  • Lighting - deep dome heat and uvb lamp 5.0 uvb and 75 watt basking light
  • Temperature - cage floor temp ranges between 68 and 75 and basking spot is typically 80-90 I use a temperature gauge
  • Humidity - humidity at the top of the cage is between 50-65 used with a humidty gauge near the bottom/middle the other gauge reads between 75-80 manual misting is how I raise humidity
  • Plants - a fern and dracena
  • Placement - in the corner of my living room not near any vents or windows cage is on a table about 3 and a half feet off the floor
  • Location - Arkansas

Current Problem - not shedding all of his skin

See my feedback in red bold. It will be a lot. Ask questions that is what we are here for. :)

• Your Chameleon - veiled chameleon, do not know the exact age, I’ve had him for four days, unknown sex Take pics of the back of the back feet so we can determine gender.
  • Handling - since bringing him home I’ve handled him about two times due to trying to give him time to get used to his new surrounding. Until the cage is on point and baby is thriving try not to handle baby.
  • Feeding - 5-6 small crickets they are being guy loaded with cricket care jelly pods and dusted with reptivite.. Not enough food. At this age they can easily take down 2 dozen small crickets. We do not limit food intake until they are a year old. You need a better gutload for your crickets. You can get repashy bug burger or follow the fresh veg variety on the image below.
  • Supplements - reptivite is zoo meds and dust them every other day due to not wanting to give to much D3 I need to see the label of your reptivite. Did you get plain Calcium without D3 as well? You want this for almost all of your feedings. Reptivite with or without D3 should only be given 2 times a month or you can overdose them on vitamin A and D3. At all other feedings you use calcium without D3. feeders are to be lightly dusted. They should not look like powdered donuts.
  • Cage Type - the cage is a mesh cage I am unsure of the dimensions I can tell you that it’s a medium zoo med cage. This will be fine for about another 2 months then you will have to upgrade to a 2x2x4 foot enclosure.
  • Lighting - deep dome heat and uvb lamp 5.0 uvb and 75 watt basking light You need to upgrade the UVB type asap. The type your using does not produce enough uvb for them and they develop MBD with these compact uvb bulbs. You want a linear T5HO fixture and a 5.0 or 6% UVB bulb. Then you want to have a 8-9 inch distance to the branches below for the correct UVB exposure.
  • Temperature - cage floor temp ranges between 68 and 75 and basking spot is typically 80-90 I use a temperature gauge. Temps are far too hot at basking. You want max 80. Get a temp gauge with probe to hook in below the basking fixture. You want a regular incandescent 60 watt bulb for heat typically.
  • Humidity - humidity at the top of the cage is between 50-65 used with a humidty gauge near the bottom/middle the other gauge reads between 75-80 manual misting is how I raise humidity. Your analog gauges may not be giving you accurate readings but you want 30-50% humidity during the day.
  • Plants - a fern and dracena. pull out the fern these are not veiled safe plants. Veilds eat their plants so they have to be veiled safe. Please see image below with plants that say veiled safe.
  • Note all of the moss vines need to be removed as well. If baby eats the moss it can cause an impaction. get flukers vines these are safe avoid the black exo terra vines they have a coating that is not safe.
  • Placement - in the corner of my living room not near any vents or windows cage is on a table about 3 and a half feet off the floor
  • Location - Arkansas

Current Problem - not shedding all of his skin This could be due to the humidity being too high. They are dry shedders. So make sure you are not spraying the baby with water.

Start reading everything in this husbandry program. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

You will want to make changes to the items mentioned especially heat, UVB, and supplements asap.

Screen Shot 2022-06-27 at 11.41.38 AM.png
chameleon-food(1).jpg
chameleon-gutload.jpg

See my feedback in red bold. It will be a lot. Ask questions that is what we are here for. :)

• Your Chameleon - veiled chameleon, do not know the exact age, I’ve had him for four days, unknown sex Take pics of the back of the back feet so we can determine gender.
  • Handling - since bringing him home I’ve handled him about two times due to trying to give him time to get used to his new surrounding. Until the cage is on point and baby is thriving try not to handle baby.
  • Feeding - 5-6 small crickets they are being guy loaded with cricket care jelly pods and dusted with reptivite.. Not enough food. At this age they can easily take down 2 dozen small crickets. We do not limit food intake until they are a year old. You need a better gutload for your crickets. You can get repashy bug burger or follow the fresh veg variety on the image below.
  • Supplements - reptivite is zoo meds and dust them every other day due to not wanting to give to much D3 I need to see the label of your reptivite. Did you get plain Calcium without D3 as well? You want this for almost all of your feedings. Reptivite with or without D3 should only be given 2 times a month or you can overdose them on vitamin A and D3. At all other feedings you use calcium without D3. feeders are to be lightly dusted. They should not look like powdered donuts.
  • Cage Type - the cage is a mesh cage I am unsure of the dimensions I can tell you that it’s a medium zoo med cage. This will be fine for about another 2 months then you will have to upgrade to a 2x2x4 foot enclosure.
  • Lighting - deep dome heat and uvb lamp 5.0 uvb and 75 watt basking light You need to upgrade the UVB type asap. The type your using does not produce enough uvb for them and they develop MBD with these compact uvb bulbs. You want a linear T5HO fixture and a 5.0 or 6% UVB bulb. Then you want to have a 8-9 inch distance to the branches below for the correct UVB exposure.
  • Temperature - cage floor temp ranges between 68 and 75 and basking spot is typically 80-90 I use a temperature gauge. Temps are far too hot at basking. You want max 80. Get a temp gauge with probe to hook in below the basking fixture. You want a regular incandescent 60 watt bulb for heat typically.
  • Humidity - humidity at the top of the cage is between 50-65 used with a humidty gauge near the bottom/middle the other gauge reads between 75-80 manual misting is how I raise humidity. Your analog gauges may not be giving you accurate readings but you want 30-50% humidity during the day.
  • Plants - a fern and dracena. pull out the fern these are not veiled safe plants. Veilds eat their plants so they have to be veiled safe. Please see image below with plants that say veiled safe.
  • Note all of the moss vines need to be removed as well. If baby eats the moss it can cause an impaction. get flukers vines these are safe avoid the black exo terra vines they have a coating that is not safe.
  • Location - Arkansas

Current Problem - not shedding all of his skin This could be due to the humidity being too high. They are dry shedders. So make sure you are not spraying the baby with water.

Start reading everything in this husbandry program. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

You will want to make changes to the items mentioned especially heat, UVB, and supplements asap.

View attachment 334126View attachment 334127View attachment 334128
Okay I can definitely change some of this but can you tell me where the fern information comes from before I even bought plants I did multiple things of research and everything says Boston ferns are safe which is what that fern is

Okay I can definitely change some of this but can you tell me where the fern information comes from before I even bought plants I did multiple things of research and everything says Boston ferns are safe which is what that fern is
The fern is considered safe for chams that do not eat their plants. However Veileds are avid plant eaters and they are not recommended for them. Unfortunately a lot of sites do not clarify what is safe for a veiled they will just say chameleon. This does not make it easy on Veiled owners that have different worries than that of a Panther owner. So for Veileds we stick to specific plants that have been used repeatedly over many years for them. Meaning they did not cause issues when it came to them being eaten and the chameleon was able to live a long life with them.

So choose plants from the image I posted above that say Veiled tested. Then you do not have worries about them eating them.

Back
Top Bottom