Shed concerns

RobinB

Normally (past 3-4) sheds, Priscilla has a clean shed and within a quick 24 hours is as good as new. This past week she shed and now its been about 5 days with these patches of "stuck shed"?
Here I posted a pic of her humidity which is around 35-40% during the day.
The temperature gauge reads in the high sixties, but it's at the very coolest point and the first thing one early morning before sun and lights etc.
Priscilla eats a variety of bugs and every day I dust with calcium and daily multivite as well as twice per month a d3 calcium supplement.
She has lights in the day: UVB, day heat, and at night ceramic bulb for heat.
She has a drip/mister and live - (nonpoisonous) plants as well as manzanita branches for climbing and basking.
She has a screen house that she is just about grown into... going to be upgraded to a 4x2x2 arboreal reptibreeze tomorrow when it arrives.
So the question is am I missing anything? Should I just chill and give it a few more days or are there fixes for my sweet Priscilla and her 'flaky skin'.
Please feel free to let me know your experience and if you have any constructive feedback.
Thanks from my Chameleon family to yours <3

Attachments

• IMG-0134.jpg
    IMG-0134.jpg
    333.3 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG-0132.jpg
    IMG-0132.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG-0133.jpg
    IMG-0133.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 95
Normally (past 3-4) sheds, Priscilla has a clean shed and within a quick 24 hours is as good as new. This past week she shed and now its been about 5 days with these patches of "stuck shed"?
Here I posted a pic of her humidity which is around 35-40% during the day.
The temperature gauge reads in the high sixties, but it's at the very coolest point and the first thing one early morning before sun and lights etc.
Priscilla eats a variety of bugs and every day I dust with calcium and daily multivite as well as twice per month a d3 calcium supplement.
She has lights in the day: UVB, day heat, and at night ceramic bulb for heat.
She has a drip/mister and live - (nonpoisonous) plants as well as manzanita branches for climbing and basking.
She has a screen house that she is just about grown into... going to be upgraded to a 4x2x2 arboreal reptibreeze tomorrow when it arrives.
So the question is am I missing anything? Should I just chill and give it a few more days or are there fixes for my sweet Priscilla and her 'flaky skin'.
Please feel free to let me know your experience and if you have any constructive feedback.
Thanks from my Chameleon family to yours <3
Welcome to the forum. Such a pretty girl she is. As they mature the sheds can take a few days to fully release and they will even start shedding in sections.

I do see some things in your husbandry I would love more info on. If you are open to feedback we could do a husbandry review for you if you fill out this form.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

I do see some things in your husbandry I would love more info on. If you are open to feedback we could do a husbandry review for you if you fill out this form.

Ok here goes... that's a lot of questions to answer but if it can help educate me and possibly others and keep my sweet Chameleons happy I'm game!
  • Your Chameleon - I have three Chameleons.
    Priscilla, Lady Ted, and Picante

Priscilla, and Theodore aka Lady Ted, came from a local breeder. They were born August 6th 2020.

Picante came from FL Chams and was born near the beginning of August as well. I was told he was two months when he arrived at the end of September this year. But he was soooo tiny. And still despite good eating and two perfect sheds is skinny and teensy.

• Handling - All three prefer different handling methods and amounts. IF I'm going to sit outside in the sun in the morning or evening Lady Ted loves to join me and will sit for hours just relaxing and sunbathing with me. Priscilla likes to explore my potted plants and sit on the porch in the sun as well. Picante is not so keen on even being seen. Eye contact makes him shrink and hide, I take him out to eat and that's it. I let him have his space most times of the day...
  • Feeding - I hand feed all three chameleons. I do not leave crickets in the enclosures as they die and mold or hide and get out in the house.
    Each chameleon likes something different. Picante prefers crickets and won't touch anything else yet, although I offer a variety cause you never know...
    Lady ted eats, Roaches, crickets, mealworms, super worms, flys... EVERYTHING lol.
    Priscilla will rarely eat roaches or crickets but eats super worms and flys and mealworms all day long :)
    Yes all feeders are gut loaded with supplements, fresh fruits and veggies, vitamins and calcium, and access to h20. As of right now I buy everything to feed but would like to learn to colonize feeder bugs
  • Supplements - Every day they get vites and calcium. and every two weeks I do d3 . I have been considering adding pee pollen? Thoughts...?
  • Watering - Besides drip systems that mist and drip, I also water the live plants when necessary. I watch throughout the day for thirst level, and sometimes run dripper for several minutes in the morning because that's when my ladies like to sit and drink a little.
  • Fecal Description - All three chameleons have a similar-looking poo. A pale yellow to white part, with a dark bit as well. They are proportioned to the little critters sizes and seem to be as frequent as about once a day that Ive noticed. They have not been tested for parasites, I am unsure as to why that's necessary always?? or just a suggestion...
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Two of the enclosures are 2x2x2 and one enclosure is 4x2x2. Tomorrow I get another 4x2x2 and when I can afford it I will upgrade Lady Ted. Right now Picante my baby boy has the big enclosure; he is most shy needs his hiding space. Priscilla is getting very big about 5 inches tail to nose and also is fairly reticent to be handled or bugged when she's in her house... she needs more room! So tomorrow I get here new house. And lady ted although not the youngest is the smallest.
  • Lighting - I am using dome lights. Lady Ted, Priscilla, and Picante each have, UVB, Daylight/heat, and night ceramic light for heat. I don't know who makes them or what the wats are exactly. Just what was recommended when I bought them. I am open to specific lighting suggestions as I know there are probably better on the market and I am always trying to improve these amazing critters enclosures and health.
  • Temperature -Lowest temp at this time of year is in the low 60's. It gets very cold in the winter here so suggestions for light types and other solutions welcomed. The high point reaches maybe mid 80's at most. Sometimes in a ray of sun through the windows, it may reach a touch higher, but for brief times throughout day.
    Every day each chameleon has a chance to bask in the natural light for about 10-20 minutes dependent on time of day (morning or evening light) and my busy schedule.
  • Humidity -Humidity in all three enclosures ranges from 30+ up into the mid 40's. We have three mist/dripper systems that run every few hours throughout the day unless the humidity drops or they appear thirsty ( I adjust accordingly). I measure humidity and temperature at the furthest point from the mist system and below the lighting systems. Essentially to know the warmest and coolest points. ***My goal is to create bioactive environments in which the water won't pool at bottom of the enclosure. Feedback on this concept encouraged!
  • Plants - All live plants with manzanita branches for climbing and sunbathing. A variety of plants but all nonpoisonous and edible varieties ( as all three chameleons have been seen eating leaves).
  • Placement - Two cages are in the kitchen at the East facing window (Priscilla and Lady Ted) one cage is at the South window in the dining area (Picante). All have lots of airflow, but we keep windows just ajar for ventilation but not enough for a hard breeze. House fan is on at least during the day. ***All three cages will be moved to North facing 'sunroom' off the back of the house in a few weeks. Each enclosure is about at a height of 5 feet at the top from the ground.
  • Location - Northern California between Sacramento and Truckee

Attachments

• IMG_9301.JPG
    IMG_9301.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_9303.JPG
    IMG_9303.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_9603.JPG
    IMG_9603.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG-9252.jpg
    IMG-9252.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 83
Give me a few minutes to go through everything. I could not find a thread where you got feedback and wanted to make sure you had it since you have three of the little nuggets. :)

Ok here goes... that's a lot of questions to answer but if it can help educate me and possibly others and keep my sweet Chameleons happy I'm game!

• Your Chameleon - I have three Chameleons.
    Priscilla, Lady Ted, and Picante

Priscilla, and Theodore aka Lady Ted, came from a local breeder. They were born August 6th 2020.

Picante came from FL Chams and was born near the beginning of August as well. I was told he was two months when he arrived at the end of September this year. But he was soooo tiny. And still despite good eating and two perfect sheds is skinny and teensy.

• Handling - All three prefer different handling methods and amounts. IF I'm going to sit outside in the sun in the morning or evening Lady Ted loves to join me and will sit for hours just relaxing and sunbathing with me. Priscilla likes to explore my potted plants and sit on the porch in the sun as well. Picante is not so keen on even being seen. Eye contact makes him shrink and hide, I take him out to eat and that's it. I let him have his space most times of the day...
  • Feeding - I hand feed all three chameleons. I do not leave crickets in the enclosures as they die and mold or hide and get out in the house.
    Each chameleon likes something different. Picante prefers crickets and won't touch anything else yet, although I offer a variety cause you never know...
    Lady ted eats, Roaches, crickets, mealworms, super worms, flys... EVERYTHING lol.
    Priscilla will rarely eat roaches or crickets but eats super worms and flys and mealworms all day long :)
    Yes all feeders are gut loaded with supplements, fresh fruits and veggies, vitamins and calcium, and access to h20. As of right now I buy everything to feed but would like to learn to colonize feeder bugs.. There are many threads on starting your own breeding colony. Just use the forum search function and you will get a ton of info.
  • Supplements - Every day they get vites and calcium. and every two weeks I do d3 . I have been considering adding pee pollen? Thoughts...? Bee pollen is wonderful. I get the organic powdered version. Could you please take a picture of your supplements. Typically recommended is Calcium without D3 every feeding then 2 times a month Calcium with D3 and two times a month a multivitamin, these two would get rotated week to week.
  • Watering - Besides drip systems that mist and drip, I also water the live plants when necessary. I watch throughout the day for thirst level, and sometimes run dripper for several minutes in the morning because that's when my ladies like to sit and drink a little.
  • Fecal Description - All three chameleons have a similar-looking poo. A pale yellow to white part, with a dark bit as well. They are proportioned to the little critters sizes and seem to be as frequent as about once a day that Ive noticed. They have not been tested for parasites, I am unsure as to why that's necessary always?? or just a suggestion... They can carry parasites that can be harmful to them. This is why fecal tests are commonly done when adding a new chameleon to a home. Typically contamination is passed to other chameleons in the collection through fecal matter.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Two of the enclosures are 2x2x2 and one enclosure is 4x2x2. Tomorrow I get another 4x2x2 and when I can afford it I will upgrade Lady Ted. Right now Picante my baby boy has the big enclosure; he is most shy needs his hiding space. Priscilla is getting very big about 5 inches tail to nose and also is fairly reticent to be handled or bugged when she's in her house... she needs more room! So tomorrow I get here new house. And lady ted although not the youngest is the smallest. Very nice. Make sure you use solid panels between enclosures so they can not see one another.
  • Lighting - I am using dome lights. Lady Ted, Priscilla, and Picante each have, UVB, Daylight/heat, and night ceramic light for heat. I don't know who makes them or what the wats are exactly. Just what was recommended when I bought them. I am open to specific lighting suggestions as I know there are probably better on the market and I am always trying to improve these amazing critters enclosures and health. Ok so this was one area I wanted to double check with you. The compact uvb bulbs your using are sub par and many chameleons develop MBD with them. I would recommend you switch your UVB to T5HO fixtures that run the width of the enclosure and a 5.0 or 6% bulb then basking level would be approximately 9 inches down. I would not provide any heat at night with the ceramic heat emitters. You want the cool down. Veileds can and do just fine in temps down to 50. I would pull the ceramic emitters and save them for when you start your bug breeding. These are great to use for bugs like roaches that need warmer temps.
  • Temperature -Lowest temp at this time of year is in the low 60's. It gets very cold in the winter here so suggestions for light types and other solutions welcomed. The high point reaches maybe mid 80's at most. Sometimes in a ray of sun through the windows, it may reach a touch higher, but for brief times throughout day. So you will want to make sure your temps at basking are no hotter then 78-80 for your females and no hotter then 85 for your male. Females need lower temps and lower food intake as they mature to control their clutch size. Males do well in temps of 80 at basking as well.
    Every day each chameleon has a chance to bask in the natural light for about 10-20 minutes dependent on time of day (morning or evening light) and my busy schedule.
  • Humidity -Humidity in all three enclosures ranges from 30+ up into the mid 40's. We have three mist/dripper systems that run every few hours throughout the day unless the humidity drops or they appear thirsty ( I adjust accordingly). I measure humidity and temperature at the furthest point from the mist system and below the lighting systems. Essentially to know the warmest and coolest points. ***My goal is to create bioactive environments in which the water won't pool at bottom of the enclosure. Feedback on this concept encouraged! You can do bioactive set ups. There are tons of threads on this as well. You can wet vac out the water in your current set ups or use drip trays. 30-40% is just perfect for humidity. Make sure your enclosure is drying out during the day. Ideally you would not be misting during the day at all. Prior to and in the evening when temps are cooler is recommened. Night time fogging when the cage is cold with a cool mist humidifier will up your ambient humidity which is better for them as well.
  • Plants - All live plants with manzanita branches for climbing and sunbathing. A variety of plants but all nonpoisonous and edible varieties ( as all three chameleons have been seen eating leaves).
  • Placement - Two cages are in the kitchen at the East facing window (Priscilla and Lady Ted) one cage is at the South window in the dining area (Picante). All have lots of airflow, but we keep windows just ajar for ventilation but not enough for a hard breeze. House fan is on at least during the day. ***All three cages will be moved to North facing 'sunroom' off the back of the house in a few weeks. Each enclosure is about at a height of 5 feet at the top from the ground.
  • Location - Northern California between Sacramento and Truckee
Accurate info and Product links for things I like:

https://chameleonacademy.com/

https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeptunetheChameleon?sub_confirmation=1

www.dragonstrand.com

https://tkchameleons.com/collections/accessories/products/shooting-gallery

For your females. As they mature you will have to start cutting back their food. By about 6 months they should be getting about 5-8 small feeders each day. At about 7 months you want to slowly reduce by cutting down feeders so that they are on a feeding schedule of 3 days a week with 3-4 feeders. You want them to be on this schedule by the time they are 10 months old.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/egg-laying-and-the-laying-bin.345/

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/laying-bin-set-up-educational-video.77225/

Back
Top Bottom