She made it through the night

TiKiMan

Established Member
My female veiled chameleon (Tiki) made it through the 55 degree Fahrenheit night in my house. I had her set up by the closed fire pit with blankets around most of her cage. We just got power back on without having it for 18 HOURS!!
Needless to say she’s a trooper, hopefully power stays on longer than last time.
(Edit: I forgot to mention that I’m in the Houston area and we’re getting power knocked left and right because of this winter storm)

Wait, 55 degrees is a big deal? That's a good night time temp. @Kaizen don't you keep your veileds down to the 40s? My Panthers and Parsons both have experienced temps down to 40s as well. I think we need to break this longstanding, reptiles like warmth attitude. Just let it be cold sometimes, messing with your animals trying to warm them up as if they're humans and feel temperatures like we do, just adds more stress.

Not trying to be rude, just seeing a lot of panic over the cold temperatures. I wouldn't be concerned until it dropped below 40, or if it was low 40s for days/weeks.

reminds me of my chihuahua person who brags it went pee when it was down to 65 out and breezy. Then again people think lizards get hotter or colder with a breeze.

55 is a good night temp. I shoot for 60. We are having a major outage. My guys, including babies have been at 55 to 60 for the past three days. Nobody has moved, but eyes open and alert. We may have several more days to go

I know 55 is a decent night temp, thanks for responding. I was celebrating this because she seemed very cold and I don’t actually know the exact temp. It was 19 outside and we had no power for 18 hours straight. I couldn’t tell the temp. I was saying 55 because it seemed the highest it could’ve been in my house. Sorry it took me so long to respond to you guys. I was celebrating my power turning back in but the moment I made this post it was shut back off. Tiki is currently at home in a nice warm spot if the house while I’m at a friends trying to find heat alternatives as I cannot afford a generator. Thanks again to those who responded I’ll keep you posted.

I know 55 is a decent night temp, thanks for responding. I was celebrating this because she seemed very cold and I don’t actually know the exact temp. It was 19 outside and we had no power for 18 hours straight. I couldn’t tell the temp. I was saying 55 because it seemed the highest it could’ve been in my house. Sorry it took me so long to respond to you guys. I was celebrating my power turning back in but the moment I made this post it was shut back off. Tiki is currently at home in a nice warm spot if the house while I’m at a friends trying to find heat alternatives as I cannot afford a generator. Thanks again to those who responded I’ll keep you posted.
Good luck! I’m in the Houston area, too!

Wait, 55 degrees is a big deal? That's a good night time temp. @Kaizen don't you keep your veileds down to the 40s? My Panthers and Parsons both have experienced temps down to 40s as well. I think we need to break this longstanding, reptiles like warmth attitude. Just let it be cold sometimes, messing with your animals trying to warm them up as if they're humans and feel temperatures like we do, just adds more stress.

Not trying to be rude, just seeing a lot of panic over the cold temperatures. I wouldn't be concerned until it dropped below 40, or if it was low 40s for days/weeks.
Yup, I drop all my chams to 50 at night. And all my chams have seen temps in the 40s overnight. Cold is cool...redundant?

Yup, I drop all my chams to 50 at night. And all my chams have seen temps in the 40s overnight. Cold is cool...redundant?
My chams live in the garage and last night it got to 13degrees out I have a header in the garage and it didn't get past 49-50 degrees in there. By feeding time this morning they were all up about and eating so . That cold didn't seem to bother them to much.

Thanks guys, I’m always more cautious then I should be. Guess I just need to remember how resilient this little guys are

Thanks guys, I’m always more cautious then I should be. Guess I just need to remember how resilient this little guys are
I'm in the beaumont tx area but I got lucky and my power didn't go out. Now all my bugs is a different story. They are inside my house since this dumb storm came our way. Another week and it will be warm again

I'm in the beaumont tx area but I got lucky and my power didn't go out. Now all my bugs is a different story. They are inside my house since this dumb storm came our way. Another week and it will be warm again
This storm is wild, nothing like anything I’ve seen before (in TX ofc). My power has been out for over 24 hours now 🙄

I'm from chicago so the cold is nothing new to me. I've lived in texas for only 3 yes. What is new to me is power going out just cause its cold out. Thats really never happened in Chicago unless there was a bad storm along with the cold

im in the dallas area and we're expecting to have our power out at LEAST all week.. but thankfully we have a generator that is working to keep the lights for my pets going haha
I can’t afford a generator :/ my fluffbabys are just fine but My cham is running off of a car battery lol

Back
Top Bottom