She keeps bruising herself.

I’m not experienced with egg laying chameleons but I’m wondering if she may need more foliage. I don’t see an area where she is hidden from view and If I was her I wouldn’t want to lay my eggs in a place where they would be exposed to predators. And to avoid the bruising I would probably run your bendy vines to all the lower areas she frequents.☺️

I THINK I FIGURED OUT THE BRUISES!!!
looks like I will be doing some problem solving this morning. 🥴
That space is very small. She was trying to mash herself into the space. I will be blocking that off completely as soon as I figure out how.
I feel like i have some direction now at least.

Attachments

• 20210110_112851.jpg
    20210110_112851.jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 56
That space is very small. She was trying to mash herself into the space. I will be blocking that off completely as soon as I figure out how.
They usually try to lay in a corner if there is one

Her bin is in the back right hand corner. Its 15.5" by 12.5".
I dont think she is close to laying yet. But Im worried a complete overhaul of her enclosure will stress her.
Probably, especially since she’s been going on a rampage, just fix up the corner she was cramming herself in and leave the lay bin where t is. Has she laid before?

Probably, especially since she’s been going on a rampage, just fix up the corner she was cramming herself in and leave the lay bin where t is. Has she laid before?

This is her first time. she started showing her colours on Dec 27.
By new years she was acting like a lunatic and off her food.

She will be 6 months old on Jan 24th

Instead of trying to block it off, maybe open it up just a tad more so she isn’t squeezing in there.

Oh my! Ok so it seems like that front corner is the only place in your enclosure that would get her out of the light, I can think of a couple reasons I would do that: either the dark makes her feel like she’s less exposed or the light is a bit bright that she wants to get away from it (at least for a while). I think another full plant (maybe pothos, ficus or a bushy dracena) will help shade more of your cage. I wonder if they prefer lay bins in the shade or in the light because that may be a factor as well.😊

Ouch... i would also make sure all your thinner vines and branches are properly secured and are not wobbly that would cause her to loose balance and fall.

Instead of trying to block it off, maybe open it up just a tad more so she isn’t squeezing in there.

I removed her almost crushed Coleus out and added the baby pothos that Ive been waiting on to grow. Its in a smaller pot and gives enough space that she can walk around the pots if she wants.
Im going through my house plants now to see if I have anything small enough for her enclosure.
Do you know if Wax Ivy is safe?
Its not english Ivy. Its more like a succulent??
(I'll add a picture. )
I also have a sad looking tradescantia zebrina. But its only been rooted a couple months.
I'm waiting to see if any of my friends have anything suitable I can beg or borrow.
I wish her plants didn't take so long to grow back after she abuses them.

Attachments

• 20210110_134539.jpg
    20210110_134539.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 20210110_134559.jpg
    20210110_134559.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 47
I removed her almost crushed Coleus out and added the baby pothos that Ive been waiting on to grow. Its in a smaller pot and gives enough space that she can walk around the pots if she wants.
Im going through my house plants now to see if I have anything small enough for her enclosure.
Do you know if Wax Ivy is safe?
Its not english Ivy. Its more like a succulent??
(I'll add a picture. )
I also have a sad looking tradescantia zebrina. But its only been rooted a couple months.
I'm waiting to see if any of my friends have anything suitable I can beg or borrow.
I wish her plants didn't take so long to grow back after she abuses them.
Just wondering what is the size of your enclosure? And I noticed you have a beautiful plant in the middle of the jungle free range pic and was curious if that plant would fit? I think having the smaller pot will prevent some of her bruising but she may still be searching for safety and cover, but it will at least stop her from jamming her face into the corner.

Just wondering what is the size of your enclosure? And I noticed you have a beautiful plant in the middle of the jungle free range pic and was curious if that plant would fit? I think having the smaller pot will prevent some of her bruising but she may still be searching for safety and cover, but it will at least stop her from jamming her face into the corner.

The plants in the window are all too big.
I've had them for close to 20 years.

There is a mass cane, yucca palm, jade plant. Her enclosre measurements (inside) 42" tall. × 30" wide. 18.5 deep

They are in very large pots. The hibiscus is 5' tall same as the cane the yucca is close to 4' with the pot.

There is a great green house I like to gonto about 2 hours away. But Ontario is in Lock down. So everything is curbside pick up.
I'm checking their website out now for houseplants. Their prices are high and they aren't open until Tuesday.
The local walmart has nothing right now.
Being winter we don't have the seasonal garden centers open.
Ill keep going through my house plants. Might have something else that I can add.

Oh I see, yes the lockdown makes it difficult to find a lot of things for our little ones. I hope you can find something that works for you, I would also check Craigslist or the Facebook store for your area. If nothing is available you can do what I’ve found to be helpful, I have several fake vines creating a visual barrier along the entire side of my enclosure and a little fake sprig or two on the top. This helps it to look like it’s nestled inside a forest canopy. Maybe some fake vines on the front of the enclosure may might help you.☺️

Attachments

• CE4C7174-D272-460B-9AF4-07A62B2F846B.jpeg
    CE4C7174-D272-460B-9AF4-07A62B2F846B.jpeg
    277.6 KB · Views: 51
Oh I see, yes the lockdown makes it difficult to find a lot of things for our little ones. I hope you can find something that works for you, I would also check Craigslist or the Facebook store for your area. If nothing is available you can do what I’ve found to be helpful, I have several fake vines creating a visual barrier along the entire side of my enclosure and a little fake sprig or two on the top. This helps it to look like it’s nestled inside a forest canopy. Maybe some fake vines on the front of the enclosure may might help you.☺
I had fake plants. For 24 hrs.
They hit the garbage can after ms. Sassy pants tried to eat them.
I forgot I have a hoya.
I stuck it in a small pot and made a hanger from jute twine.
I moved her spider plant to just under her basking spot. There a new stick in the back.
This will have to do for today since my options are limited.

Attachments

• 20210110_154107.jpg
    20210110_154107.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 50
Back
Top Bottom