She is laying eggs!

Hi there!!

I left for the weekend and just came back, peaked into my Chams cage because I had put curtains around it to give her privacy to lay eggs while I was gone, and noticed that there is a big hole in her lay bin! So exciting! I didn’t peak for long bc I didn’t want to scare her.

How long does it take for them to lay eggs? What’s a typical size clutch for her first lay? Should I not check on her until later tonight to give her privacy? Any advice would be super helpful!

Is it typical that she might stay in the hole over night?
I don’t have a female but from what I read they can be in the hole all night to lay the eggs and then they cover the hole. They can lay dozens of eggs as well. Make sure you have very good gut loaded feeders, she will need a boost of calcium and lots of water. If I missed anything I’m sure others will chime in. :)

I just checked on her and she’s out of the hole, on her normal basking stick. Is it okay to remove the privacy curtain now and mist/feed her? How do I know if she is done?

If she's covered the hole up, chances are she's done. If not, she may have decided she didn't like that one.

Does she look like a lot thinner?

I'm in the same position here right now lol.

I fed her this morning and sprayed her for a while. She seems to be doing okay. Hard to tell I guess. She looks much skinnier! I was so surprised! Any tips? How often do you typically handle your Cham?
I don't handle my female unless I have to. She's not one that will tolerate anything more than a chin rub. My male is the friendliest cham you could get.

Have you dug out the eggs from the lay bin yet? If there's any chance at all they may be fertile, If you're not in a position to raise babys, I pop them in the freezer before disposing.

Is your lay bin a permanent part of her enclosure? I also make a note on the calendar to track how often she lays. This is her 3rd clutch, only 7 weeks from the last.

How often do you handle your male cham? Just curious because I love spending time with my girlie :)

Yes, I dug the eggs out this morning! She had a clutch of 59 eggs, I was shocked!! How do I know if they are fertile?

I took the lay bin out and put in a big plant. My cham is 8 months old and this was her first time laying eggs. How often will she lay eggs?

How often do you handle your male cham? Just curious because I love spending time with my girlie :)

Yes, I dug the eggs out this morning! She had a clutch of 59 eggs, I was shocked!! How do I know if they are fertile?

I took the lay bin out and put in a big plant. My cham is 8 months old and this was her first time laying eggs. How often will she lay eggs?
They would only be fertile if she has been with a male. How long have you had her? Was she housed with other chams when you got her? The best thing is to pop them into the freezer then get rid.

No offence but if you intend to breed at any time, you need to A; know a lot more about the subject and B; be in a position to take care of that amount of young chams and give them the best care for months. Then you need to find GOOD homes for them. You definately won't make money, it will cost you money.

If it's at all possible, try to keep the lay bin all the time. I have panthers and Rose is laying every 7 weeks, despite keeping her temps and food intake under control. No idea if veileds are different.

Bob (my male) basically comes and goes as he wants while I'm in the house. He's never been forced to do come out and it's often a struggle to get him back in. I'm sure he's really a very small colourful puppy and not a cham given his character. You have to understand though he is an exception. Most chams will hate you so one that just tolerates you is pretty good!

They would only be fertile if she has been with a male. How long have you had her? Was she housed with other chams when you got her? The best thing is to pop them into the freezer then get rid.

No offence but if you intend to breed at any time, you need to A; know a lot more about the subject and B; be in a position to take care of that amount of young chams and give them the best care for months. Then you need to find GOOD homes for them. You definately won't make money, it will cost you money.

If it's at all possible, try to keep the lay bin all the time. I have panthers and Rose is laying every 7 weeks, despite keeping her temps and food intake under control. No idea if veileds are different.

Bob (my male) basically comes and goes as he wants while I'm in the house. He's never been forced to do come out and it's often a struggle to get him back in. I'm sure he's really a very small colourful puppy and not a cham given his character. You have to understand though he is an exception. Most chams will hate you so one that just tolerates you is pretty good!
I have had her since october when she was very small, she has not mated so these are infertile eggs. I do not plan on mating her ever, I was just curious!

How long will she lay eggs even if she is not mating with another cham?

So Bob is free range? that is awesome that he is so friendly! My cham lets me pet her and take her out of her cage, she loved when I shower her too.

Is this a rule of thumb because I thought @jannb said it has more to do with the food frequency and volume? Not doubting you but now I am curious. My female is a year old and has not laid anything yet.
But your doing a program with yours, works with some not all.

The op isn’t doing anything like that so they can expect a clutch every 90 days.

Back
Top Bottom