She HATES the new light!

Tinydino

Avid Member
Got the new dual t5ho fixture in the mail.today.
Set it up with her UVB in one and the plant light in the other. .the brightness in her enclosure is definitely noticeable.
I'd say she is less than pleased with the change. She hasnt stoped pacing her enclosure since I set it up a couple hours ago.

Pictures are before and after.
Or after and before I should say

Attachments

• 20201203_152608.jpg
    20201203_152608.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 53
  • 20201203_152540.jpg
    20201203_152540.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 48
Got the new dual t5ho fixture in the mail.today.
Set it up with her UVB in one and the plant light in the other. .the brightness in her enclosure is definitely noticeable.
I'd say she is less than pleased with the change. She hasnt stoped pacing her enclosure since I set it up a couple hours ago.

Pictures are before and after.
What are you using between the fixture and the enclosure? Is there aluminum window screen?

Its actually cage wire.
Sturdier than screen.
Do you have a solarmeter 6.5 to check the UVI level? Because the UVI level would not be reduced using the larger cage wire.

She will adjust to the change in lighting. Just give her a bit of time. I run more then you do and they do just fine with it.

Do you have a solarmeter 6.5 to check the UVI level? Because the UVI level would not be reduced using the larger cage wire.

She will adjust to the change in lighting. Just give her a bit of time. I run more then you do and they do just fine with it.
Solar meter is on my xmas wish list.
She has the same UVB she had before. I just got a new fixture.
The plant light makes it super bright.
If she doesnt relax tomorrow. I might just switch back to the reptisun t5 fixture

Solar meter is on my xmas wish list.
She has the same UVB she had before. I just got a new fixture.
The plant light makes it super bright.
If she doesnt relax tomorrow. I might just switch back to the reptisun t5 fixture
So the lighting is a change just like anything else you were to change. There is an adjustment period. And your plants need the lighting. She will be fine...

I highly recommend the solarmeter just because you will want to know your exact uvi level with the difference in material being used for the enclosure. Also typically you get a reduction in UVI level when you go from a single fixture to a dual with one reflector. So this will cause a reduced UVI at basking. Unless it has individual reflectors.

So the lighting is a change just like anything else you were to change. There is an adjustment period. And your plants need the lighting. She will be fine...

I highly recommend the solarmeter just because you will want to know your exact uvi level with the difference in material being used for the enclosure. Also typically you get a reduction in UVI level when you go from a single fixture to a dual with one reflector. So this will cause a reduced UVI at basking. Unless it has individual reflectors.
This fixture has 2 separate reflectors. Its the vivosun dual 24"
I want a solar meter mainly so I will know when I need to change my uvb without the guessing game of "how long will it last"
Heres a pic of the fixture I got

Attachments

• 20201201_153507.jpg
    20201201_153507.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 35
Nooo yes they are super bright near pulled my eyes out but your girl should settle in especially if she has plenty of plant coverage. It took me a couple of days to get used so give her a chance

Nooo yes they are super bright near pulled my eyes out but your girl should settle in especially if she has plenty of plant coverage. It took me a couple of days to get used so give her a chance
I hope so.
She acted.like it was the first time shes noticed something above her head. I feel bad for freaking her out

This fixture has 2 separate reflectors. Its the vivosun dual 24"
I want a solar meter mainly so I will know when I need to change my uvb without the guessing game of "how long will it last"
Heres a pic of the fixture I got
ok yeah that one is perfect. just keep in mind your UVI level will be higher due to the lack of reduction from screen. This is the reason for the solarmeter. So there is not an over exposure issue.

Recheck your temps today. This will bump your ambient temps on that top level.

I would not freak out and pull it. Let her adjust. It is just different to her. As if it was a new branch or plant.

ok yeah that one is perfect. just keep in mind your UVI level will be higher due to the lack of reduction from screen. This is the reason for the solarmeter. So there is not an over exposure issue.

Recheck your temps today. This will bump your ambient temps on that top level.

I would not freak out and pull it. Let her adjust. It is just different to her. As if it was a new branch or plant.
So far the temps haven't changed. But I have 3 separate digital thermometer/hygrometers with probe in there today.
One in her hot spot, cool side and at the bottom.
Temps are currently 28°C, 24°C and 22°C
I was using a 75watt argo pro indoor flood as a basking light. But dropped her down to a 65 indoor flood when I swapped out the lights today.
I think it might have been you that mentioned the temps in a different thread.

She will b cool. By the looks your girl is younger than mine. So I have my uvb on 12 off 12. My plant light is on 8 hours and my basking on 6 all on dif timers to brighten up warm up and vice versa at the end of the day

So far the temps haven't changed. But I have 3 separate digital thermometer/hygrometers with probe in there today.
One in her hot spot, cool side and at the bottom.
Temps are currently 28°C, 24°C and 22°C
I was using a 75watt argo pro indoor flood as a basking light. But dropped her down to a 65 indoor flood when I swapped out the lights today.
I think it might have been you that mentioned the temps in a different thread.
Yeah that was me. Yes switching out the flood lights may have made the difference so your not seeing the temp bump.

She will b cool. By the looks your girl is younger than mine. So I have my uvb on 12 off 12. My plant light is on 8 hours and my basking on 6 all on dif timers to brighten up warm up and vice versa at the end of the day
She is just over 4 months now. Her hatch date was July 24th of this year.
I turn my basking off an hour before lights out as well. She doesn't bask all day anyway. She basks in the morning before her poop.
Then has breakfast and goes back to basking. Her afternoons are back and forth exploring and basking. She moves to her sunny uv branch for a while and sometimes into her shady spot.
I won't have the option of having the plant light on a different times with this fixture. I honestly didn't think of that being a need.
Her UVB is on 7am-7pm

Attachments

• 20201128_114354.jpg
    20201128_114354.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 42
I turn my basking off an hour before lights out as well. She doesn't bask all day anyway. She basks in the morning before her poop.
Then has breakfast and goes back to basking. Her afternoons are back and forth exploring and basking. She moves to her sunny uv branch for a while and sometimes into her shady spot.
I won't have the option of having the plant light on a different times with this fixture. I honestly didn't think of that being a need.
Her UVB is on 7am-7pm
this is a little off topic but does she naturally have the orange on her casque and head and some spikes??? its awesome looking!

Her UVB is on 7am-7pm
She is a gorgeous girl

this is a little off topic but does she naturally have the orange on her casque and head and some spikes??? its awesome looking!
She does. Sometimes it looks more yellow or brown. And they look pink right before she sheds.
The colour runs right down her back too.
Today's pic.. (she always comes out to see me after breakfast. Never hangs out. Just goes up one arm and down the other back to her cage. Its our daily ritual)

Attachments

• 20201203_144004.jpg
    20201203_144004.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 42
Back
Top Bottom