She Doesn't Like Misting

mnlwfan

I will be buying a Mist King very soon, but until then I've been regularly hand misting and my female Jackson seems to very much dislike it. I use room temperature water or water that is slightly warmer than room temp, and I spray from a distance and above so that it's more natural and not right in her face. But when the misting starts she always backs away and almost cringes. The best reaction I get from her at misting time is she'll sit with her eyes closed and just tolerate it.

Anyone else have a cham that doesn't like misting?

Since she hates it so much I'm beginning to wonder if I should even bother with an automatic mister.

In my experience many chameleons do not like being misted. All of mine run from the mist. I have made a rain system for my male ambilobe panther. The larger drops are just like rain, and the only reaction I get from him is a hurry to start drinking. I think it is MUCH more natural than the mist.

My cham would run like crazy from my mist king nozzle but it had great cover. I switched to the DIY rain ring and now he doesn't even move if it comes on. Few cons on the rain ring is its rain and not mist so leaf cover isn't as good as I would like and it does use a good amount of water however I will never go back to a mist nozzle.

I have had a few chameleons over the years that don't like misting . I put the lizards and a couple of plants in the shower and all are happy . during the shower 2 males of the same species will get along - but separate them before the water goes off !

Kabuki hates misting. He clenches his face down and goes into kung fu grip mode. I try not to spray him directly but it still upsets him. I use warm water since by the time it sprays out it's almost feeling cold already. On a rare occasion he'll act like he's been praying for rain and seems like he's digging the feel of it, but most times he just like "MAKE IT STOP">.<

The rain system seems like a great idea. I may look into that once I get my cage build and settled. Although seems like it'd make less mess than spraying would.

misting

My chameleons used to hate misting. Now, I put hot water in my hand mister, and they love it. By the time the mist hits them, it has cooled a little. They like the mist to be very fine, as well.

My boys hated mist as well. I started by convertiting to a DIY mist king rain loop but I was worried about the over spray hitting the lights so I have now converted it to a rain dome similar to the aquazamp by using rectangular Tupper ware and drilling holes in the top to insert the mist nozzles (I have 2 per cage). It covers a decent area, no over spray and the boys love the rain drops. I have tweaked my misting system several times and this seems to be the best set up so far.

Misting

If you struggle with low humidity, you will have to mist the enclosure wether your cham likes it or not, unless you decide to humidify the whole room:eek:
For me, misting is the only way to raise the humidity in the cage, even with three sides covered.
I built multiple rain rings that my Cham likes so much more than the mister, but it does almost nothing to raise the humidity.
Perhaps a cool mist humidifier used with a rain dome/rain rings would be best and not irritate the chameleon?

If you struggle with low humidity, you will have to mist the enclosure wether your cham likes it or not, unless you decide to humidify the whole room:eek:
For me, misting is the only way to raise the humidity in the cage, even with three sides covered.
I built multiple rain rings that my Cham likes so much more than the mister, but it does almost nothing to raise the humidity.
Perhaps a cool mist humidifier used with a rain dome/rain rings would be best and not irritate the chameleon?

I've got a cool mist humidifier right up next to the cage and she seems to like it. Plus it's close enough that condensation builds on the screen and the plant right inside her enclosure. So that helps to keep the humidity pretty stable. I've also got a Little Dripper that keeps a few of the leaves on the pothos pooled with water for drinking.

My biggest reason for considering an automatic mister/rain system is for when we go away for a day or two.

Just an update...

Since a few of you mentioned rain instead of mist I simulated rain drops all across the top of her enclosure and she was much more receptive to that than the misting. So, I think I will be looking for something that can mimic rain instead of mist.

Just an update...

Since a few of you mentioned rain instead of mist I simulated rain drops all across the top of her enclosure and she was much more receptive to that than the misting. So, I think I will be looking for something that can mimic rain instead of mist.

You should check out the aquazamp rain dome they are also a site sponsor.

My boys hated mist as well. I started by convertiting to a DIY mist king rain loop but I was worried about the over spray hitting the lights so I have now converted it to a rain dome similar to the aquazamp by using rectangular Tupper ware and drilling holes in the top to insert the mist nozzles (I have 2 per cage). It covers a decent area, no over spray and the boys love the rain drops. I have tweaked my misting system several times and this seems to be the best set up so far.

If you make one of my rain rings, like I mentioned in another thread, you will not get over spray on your lights.
The ring is attached to the inside of the cage, with small holes pointing down.
You can safely place your UVB fixture right over top of it with no worries.

A few things, the rain ring uses TONS of water. Also, if you are using a 100psi pump (like the ones they sell at mistking), one pump will only handle 2 rain rings. Also, the 'high flow' pump upgrade from mistking is recommended.
It give better flow.
Also, you cant have your basking light directly above the rain ring because the plastic tubing will melt. I have ruined a few that way.

Lpsouth1978 made a video of what the rain ring looks like in action. I thank him for taking the time. I'm not smart enough to figure out how to post video!!

http://s1192.photobucket.com/user/lpsouth1978/media/IMG_1565_zpsac0b85e0.mp4.html

Another thing, this is like real rain falling inside the cage, so expect some splashing. I use cheap clear plastic shower curtain, cut to size, and duct taped to the sides
of the cage, usually near the bottom. That way, you wont get your floor/carpet wet :)

Last edited:
Kabuki hates misting. He clenches his face down and goes into kung fu grip mode. I try not to spray him directly but it still upsets him. I use warm water since by the time it sprays out it's almost feeling cold already. On a rare occasion he'll act like he's been praying for rain and seems like he's digging the feel of it, but most times he just like "MAKE IT STOP">.<

The rain system seems like a great idea. I may look into that once I get my cage build and settled. Although seems like it'd make less mess than spraying would.

I love your technical name: "Kung Fu Grip Mode." It's perfect. :D

My guy does that when I try to pick him up sometimes, but he's coming around...

So far as the misting goes, he hated it at first, but now he's kinda figured out a routine, which is to hide under the leaves so he won't get hit by it until I'm done. I never directly mist him unless he's shedding. He actually likes it when I do it, then!

My guy isn't a big fan. He goes and hides in his hibiscus plant after the first spray. I just try misting mainly at the top and let most of the water drip down to get the rest of the plants/enclosure damp. I do spray a little down lower, but I find he's more accepting of it as long as I keep it away from him.

Back
Top Bottom