Sharing my new baby!

Norbert

Established Member
Just wanted to post my new baby panther, Norbert (named after Hagrid’s dragon in HP lol). He just arrived this morning all the way from California. He was a bit stressed (understandably) after the traveling across the country, but has already eaten a lot of crickets and a couple wax worms, and even drank from the dripper I had going. Seems to be getting used to his new home and I am leaving him alone to explore! 😊
(Only touched him to put him in the cage after he ran out of his shipping container, I didn’t handle him other than that.)
I was also wondering how much to feed him the first day? The shipping took an entire day so he seems to be very hungry he had no problem scarfing down 15 crickets. Should I feed as many as he will take the first day?

Attachments

• BF6135CB-D5A8-4F0A-BAF2-D9D904881939.jpeg
    BF6135CB-D5A8-4F0A-BAF2-D9D904881939.jpeg
    188.9 KB · Views: 111
  • 52812A27-87FF-4250-8E6A-317381F9B845.jpeg
    52812A27-87FF-4250-8E6A-317381F9B845.jpeg
    229.7 KB · Views: 105
  • 0971CD9F-61C5-4602-BAD6-B994552F7A9A.jpeg
    0971CD9F-61C5-4602-BAD6-B994552F7A9A.jpeg
    147.6 KB · Views: 106
  • 1438D61B-2E3B-4330-96F3-4E16D7BA6236.jpeg
    1438D61B-2E3B-4330-96F3-4E16D7BA6236.jpeg
    232.3 KB · Views: 114
Just wanted to post my new baby panther, Norbert (named after Hagrid’s dragon in HP lol). He just arrived this morning all the way from California. He was a bit stressed (understandably) after the traveling across the country, but has already eaten a lot of crickets and a couple wax worms, and even drank from the dripper I had going. Seems to be getting used to his new home and I am leaving him alone to explore! 😊
(Only touched him to put him in the cage after he ran out of his shipping container, I didn’t handle him other than that.)
I was also wondering how much to feed him the first day? The shipping took an entire day so he seems to be very hungry he had no problem scarfing down 15 crickets. Should I feed as many as he will take the first day?
I think 15 crickets is a more than a good amount for his first day. Hydration is what is usually essential after being shipped. How old is he? He’s a little cutie! 🥰

I think 15 crickets is a more than a good amount for his first day. Hydration is what is usually essential after being shipped. How old is he? He’s a little cutie! 🥰
Thank you! He is 3.5 months. He is also my first reptile ever but I did lots of research beforehand and I am so excited to have him! I saw him drink a bit but will keep an eye out for his poop to see if he’s getting hydrated enough.

Yez the classic "will you eat today" and "should i feed him, he looks hungry". My last one came pre cup trained :)
He seems semi comfy with feeding and he doesn’t run from me putting food in, but he definitely stares at me like I’m an alien and gave me some warning gaping. 😂 Glad to see him drink in front of me so I didn’t have to wonder.

Thank you! It is so exciting to get one of these adorable babies! The best decision I have made. I was so nervous leading up to his arrival watching YouTube, listening to podcasts, buying books. Just worried I was going to do something wrong so I waited a few months just reading this forum to see issues and solutions. But finally the wait is over and here he is. I couldn’t be happier. I hope you post pictures when you get yours I’d love to see. 😊 Truly gorgeous animals, pictures don’t do them justice.

He is a cutie... I do not see the harm in tossing in a few more feeders. At this age they are little eating machines.
He hasn’t quite grasped the concept of clear plastic yet. I feel so bad he keeps shooting his tongue at the side of the feeder I have, thinking it will go through. Any suggestions or will he learn? I don’t want him to hurt his tongue.

Thank you! It is so exciting to get one of these adorable babies! The best decision I have made. I was so nervous leading up to his arrival watching YouTube, listening to podcasts, buying books. Just worried I was going to do something wrong so I waited a few months just reading this forum to see issues and solutions. But finally the wait is over and here he is. I couldn’t be happier. I hope you post pictures when you get yours I’d love to see. 😊 Truly gorgeous animals, pictures don’t do them justice.
I will make sure I willll ♥️

He hasn’t quite grasped the concept of clear plastic yet. I feel so bad he keeps shooting his tongue at the side of the feeder I have, thinking it will go through. Any suggestions or will he learn? I don’t want him to hurt his tongue.
Yeah this can be an issue with the clear ones... I would remove it and find a solid color bottle if your going to make your own. Make sure you use a lighter on the edge of the plastic that you cut so it is not sharp too.

Or you can order one. I like the full throttle 3 inch feeder run. And the TKchameleons.com large shooting gallery.

Awesome!! Hes a stunning little guy! I love the name btw! 😉 It's always so exciting when they arrive!

Don't be surprised if he doesn't eat as much or not at all the next couple of days. My cham did great when I first got him, and then it took him nearly a week (5-6 days) of being dark and stressed for him to finally eat again. They are just getting use to their new surroundings and home. ❤❤

Welcome to the forums!!

Yeah this can be an issue with the clear ones... I would remove it and find a solid color bottle if your going to make your own. Make sure you use a lighter on the edge of the plastic that you cut so it is not sharp too.

Or you can order one. I like the full throttle 3 inch feeder run. And the TKchameleons.com large shooting gallery.
Okay thank you, I’ll just buy the full throttle feeder on Amazon. I did smooth down the edges for the one I made. But I felt like a jerk watching him try to get the clear sides of the bottle just teasing him with food he couldn’t get. I switched to a white feeder cup for today but he didn’t like that as much because they didn’t crawl around. A couple escaped the cup cause it’s shallow and he seemed much more interested in the bugs that were roaming the cage.

Awesome!! Hes a stunning little guy! I love the name btw! 😉 It's always so exciting when they arrive!

Don't be surprised if he doesn't eat as much or not at all the next couple of days. My cham did great when I first got him, and then it took him nearly a week (5-6 days) of being dark and stressed for him to finally eat again. They are just getting use to their new surroundings and home. ❤❤

Welcome to the forums!!
Thank you for the heads up! Yes very excited and trying not to be nosey and give him space haha.

Back
Top Bottom