Shaky's not eating superworms

Fate X

Shaky is a 4-5 month veil who eats crickets and superworms until sunday i feed him a dozen crickets sunday morning and 2 or 3 supers then he wouldn't eat any supers sunday night or today.
lucky girl did the same thing sunday but she ate one super today.

shaky eating crickets though.

i'm hoping his stomach didn't burst.
what are symtoms of stomach burst?

I don't think a chameleon's stomach can burst from overeating? Why would you think that it had?

My cham got very sick for a while, and I was force feeding him. A couple times, I .. ermmm.. overfed him. The result was that he pooed all over me.

Heika

Impaction is usually caused when the chameleon ingests some of the substrate like a piece of bark or rocks. What do you use in the bottom of their cages?

Jerm

another reason a chameleon can get impacted is if their cage temps aren't high enough ... what are you keeping yours at?

Sometimes my cham will stop eating for a day or two or slow down eating right before he sheds.

You can try force feeding baby food to them if you are worried. Mine like banana/oatmeal or applesauce. I just put it into a syringe (without a needle!) and get it on their lips (watch out for the nose holes!), and they will eventually start to lick it off. It's how we got hermie though his sickness until he was well enough to eat on his own.

Jam said:
You can try force feeding baby food to them if you are worried. Mine like banana/oatmeal or applesauce. I just put it into a syringe (without a needle!) and get it on their lips (watch out for the nose holes!), and they will eventually start to lick it off. It's how we got hermie though his sickness until he was well enough to eat on his own.
Don't. Force feeding is a last resort for an unhealthy chameleon.

Force feeding is dangerous if it isn't done correctly. The chameleon can easily inhale the fluid or food item into their lungs which usually kills them.

Jerm

maybe I should clarify (and if you still disagree with me, please say so!). When I meant force feeding (which was how my vet classified it), I meant simply putting a blob of it on the tip of his nose (away from both nostrils) and allowing him to lick/eat it off ... not actually opening his mouth by force and squirting it in. my vet classified it as "force feeding" because he wasn't going and getting it on his own good will ... he was being significantly enticed and encouraged. Hermie got to the point where he would open his mouth after the first blob and wait for you to slowly and gently deposite small amounts in it for him.

Shaky ate a superworm today. i didn't feed him any crickets tomorrow he should have a appetite. theres nothing on the bottom of the cage.
i am gonna re-check his basking temp to make sure its hot enough.

Whoa whoa whoa, I truely doubt that he's suffering from any sort of impaction, or health problem- I bet he's just plain 'ol tired of superworms. My chameleons is super picky- One day he'll eat everything in sight, a few days later it'll only be crickets, than only silkworms, and sometimes nothing. :eek:

Just give him a while to recooperate from superworms, and try to vary his diet a bit. Silkworms, Butterworms, Waxworms, Roaches, Mealworms (those are very fattening though) are all temporary subsititutes, and I find it a crucial health point to give them an array of insects. Hope he starts eating soon!

Back
Top Bottom