Sexual Maturity in males

DarkRapture

i will warn you before you read this, it isn't a pleasant topic for regular discussion!!

well now i am not completely sure as to how i should start this thread, but it has to do with my 9 month old veiled. just recently i have been letting him out of his cage for short visits - more often because he seems somewhat restless. as soon as i open the door he comes running out to me. i find it a little strange because he usually gives me the look that he'd rather bite me than like me. well to say the least, i really think that he has gotten the "horny" and wants to mate.

to fill you in on some details, i will tell you about my first experience of being violated by my chameleon Marley: he seemed to get a crazed look in his eyes and began to move quickly, nuzzled my hand with his chin and chest, and rubbed his undersides on my fingers. he then tried to mate with my thumb. i got quite the claw marks on my hand now from trying to pry him away! he stopped after i had removed him from my hand, but he didn't seem like he would want to quit his ritual any time soon so i put him away. from i have heard this particular behavior can be the result of coming into maturity, or maybe that he thinks that my hand is his girlfriend??

i took him out again today and he was fine at first, but then was back at it and acting all frisky!! he doesn't want to bite me, he just wants to rub his thing on my fingers instead. i would much rather not be defiled by my pet and would love to hear any comments or advice from you fellow chameleon owners.

things that i think may be relative:
*he seems fairly happy these days and is eating directly from my hands more than from his feeding cup
*temps are higher in the afternoon because of the sun shining through the window on part of his cage - about 97F in the highest basking spot - because of spring weather
*i have been increasing misting duration because i was noticing a slight yellow tinge to the urates, so i actually mist (garden sprayer) him with warm water for about 2-5 min until i see him drinking
*overall i have been interacting with him more frequently

so? any suggestions? jokes are welcome too... lol

ya my roomate got his hand raped by my chameleon i think you guy is just horny. do you have and other chameleons near you other one cause if he sees say a female thats might get him goin then you take him out and he thinks your hand is her

LOL oh yeah, mine did the same thing to me last night and it freaked the hell out of me. I mean, I know it's a natural part of life and all that, but ugh. I don't know what the worst part about it is, your hand getting humped, or the resulting little bleeding puncture wounds from the claws that just won't let go. I don't know what advice to give you... maybe he's just in a good mood because of the things you just mentioned? Could be the same for me... I just bought mine a big new schifflera for his cage that he seems to adore so maybe he's in love with me now. Which is kind of disturbing. XD

ya my roomate got his hand raped by my chameleon i think you guy is just horny. do you have and other chameleons near you other one cause if he sees say a female thats might get him goin then you take him out and he thinks your hand is her

no other chameleons around. i have other reptiles, but they are all in different rooms so he is alone except for seeing me. perhaps it is just the season for lovin'. yuk!!

LOL oh yeah, mine did the same thing to me last night and it freaked the hell out of me. I mean, I know it's a natural part of life and all that, but ugh. I don't know what the worst part about it is, your hand getting humped, or the resulting little bleeding puncture wounds from the claws that just won't let go. I don't know what advice to give you... maybe he's just in a good mood because of the things you just mentioned? Could be the same for me... I just bought mine a big new schifflera for his cage that he seems to adore so maybe he's in love with me now. Which is kind of disturbing. XD

i could suffer the wounds but not the humping! lol. maybe they get all horny for our hands because they have nothing else to do? (i mean that in a literal sense too!!)

i wonder if it has to do with wearing dark colors? i don't know much about chameleon breeding but i think that a female has 'receptive' colors, and the males may be interpreting certain colors that we wear as an "i'm ready for you baby" color. hmm...

it's still gross tho!

hey... i didn't think about colour. i do wear dark colours a lot.

that's it. from now on, it's hot pink and pastel blue only.

hey... i didn't think about colour. i do wear dark colours a lot.

that's it. from now on, it's hot pink and pastel blue only.

LOL rad!!! i will try changing the colors i wear around him and see if it makes a difference. i'll update if there are no further humpings.

lol

well, i don't want you all to think that i'm getting frisked regularly by Marley, so i will correct my previous post to say that i will update if changing colors helps or not. LOL

Not knowing you or him....maybe he thinks if it's good enough for you it's good enough for him. :eek: JK LOL :D

Kevin

Ahahahahaha. I guess Im not good with women or male chams. My panther hates me unless I have a hornworm or a silkie and then he hates me after he gets it out of my hand hahaha. He sure does like my female though.

Ahahahahaha. I guess Im not good with women or male chams. My panther hates me unless I have a hornworm or a silkie and then he hates me after he gets it out of my hand hahaha. He sure does like my female though.

CONSIDER YOURSELF LUCKY! it is not a pleasant experience to be defiled by your own chameleon lol

hahaha I will. If this is the way he is going to warm up to me I hope he doesnt ever hahaha. He is over a year and still hasnt calmed down but I like him that way.

My guy trusts me but just doesn't want me near his cage. If I reach for him in his cage he'll hiss and get aggressive......if he's out he doesn't even think twice about climbing right up on me. Some times he'll sit on top of the laptop for a half hour or so until he gets bored and goes for the hibiscus.

Cool animals! :cool:

Kevin

ya, up until Marley's most recent affections, he has usually been moody and did not like me pestering him for any reason. lol, its good to see that some people have normal chameleons.

Back
Top Bottom