Sexing Water Dragons

hinoco1225

I have done a lot of research about sexing water dragons. The general consensus seems to be that the dragons need to be around 18-20 inches in total length before you can accurately see the male characteristics developing (more pronounced femoral pores, spikes growing longer, etc). But in my search I also came across this information: "Males also have two bulges/bumps UNDER the vent on the tail while females only have one or no bulge/bump UNDER the vent on the tail - both males and females have two bumps above the vent on the body. This method of sexing can be used for dragons 16+ inches earlier for captive bred dragons."

Is this accurate information? I have three water dragons, two of which are 15 inches and one is more like 12-13. One of the bigger ones has one very obvious bulge at the base of her tail under the vent. Is that an accurate indicator that she's female? Could a male to have a bump there before his hemipenal bulges develop? The small dragon also has one bulge (less pronounced than the bigger dragon's), and the other bigger dragon has no bulges at the base of the tail (so I'm not making any guesses about that one yet).

I'm trying to get pictures, but I can't seem to get any that are clear enough with my phone.

You can sex them by looking at the base of the tail when they are only a few months old....sometimes even earlier than that.

Not sure if the bump thing is true.

You can sex them by looking at the base of the tail when they are only a few months old....sometimes even earlier than that.

Are you saying that males develop their hemipenal bulges that young? Just making sure I understand you correctly. Thank you :)

The male's tail is thicker south of the vent than the female's is even at a very young age. I wouldn't really say it was like the adults bulge though. I used to be able to sex them when they were only a few days old and be about 95% right..but its been a long time since I did that and I don't know if I still could.

post a pic

The male's tail is thicker south of the vent than the female's is even at a very young age. I wouldn't really say it was like the adults bulge though. I used to be able to sex them when they were only a few days old and be about 95% right..but its been a long time since I did that and I don't know if I still could.

if ur that good maybe u could just tell him.. just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom